18 Posts

Secret Hitler» Forums » General

Subject: President discarding middle policy and claiming he got 3 facist rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Rynowiecki
Poland
flag msg tools
Usually when a liberal player gets 3 facist policies in their hand they are pretty fast with discarding the side one, passing them to chancellor and saying they got 3 facist.

It's much harder for a facist president, when he gets 2 facist and 1 liberal, and the liberal policy is in the middle. In my group it almost always gives the president out as a facist. Have anyone come up with a fix for that or do you just play along with it giving a slight advantage for the liberals?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't watch the President choose. The president can also sort of palm them to mask what they're doing, or do it beneath the table always.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only "solution" is to houserule a convention that President must pick discard under table.

Since it's not in a Liberal President's interest to mask which card they discard, masking your choice under the table makes you appear Fascist unless a rule "forces you" to do it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This can for sure out a facist so we too try and have them hide their picks from the other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know, when I'm president (both fascist and liberal) I like to think about what I would do in each situation prior to drawing the 3 cards. If I'm a Fascist president and I draw FFL it's pretty easy to quickly pull the liberal card once I see them and put it into the discard pile and pass the other two to the chancellor.

If players are watching your hand that close that they can see where you're picking the card from ie. left, centre, or right slot and they can keep track of such information over several games and then profit from such information then by all means have players select cards from under the table, it's simple enough to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Kang
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We've also come across this same scenario where people are essentially accused based on what position policy they chose to discard. We've since encouraged folks to look away when the president is choosing the discard but I prefer to shuffle the three I draw before I look at them and that seems to solve the problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gk255 wrote:
We've also come across this same scenario where people are essentially accused based on what position policy they chose to discard. We've since encouraged folks to look away when the president is choosing the discard but I prefer to shuffle the three I draw before I look at them and that seems to solve the problem.

How does that solve the problem? If you have to grab the middle policy one after your shuffle I'm not seeing how that solves this issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Gambone
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I shuffle through all of them at least once and then continue until the one I want to discard is on top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mountainhawk wrote:
I shuffle through all of them at least once and then continue until the one I want to discard is on top.

That's against the rules. You can't alter the order of the tiles in anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Kolczynski
United States
College Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
squegeeboo wrote:
Mountainhawk wrote:

He's clearly talking about the ones they drew.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Coryell
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bubba0077 wrote:
squegeeboo wrote:
Mountainhawk wrote:

According to the rule book, it's against the rules.

Page 4 under "Legislative Session":
" The President and Chancellor MAY NOT pick Policies to play at random, shuffle the tiles before discarding one, or do anything else clever to avoid secretly and intentionally selecting a Policy."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rynowiecki
Poland
flag msg tools
Egotistic8 wrote:
bubba0077 wrote:
squegeeboo wrote:
Mountainhawk wrote:

" The President and Chancellor MAY NOT pick Policies to play at random, shuffle the tiles before discarding one, or do anything else clever to avoid secretly and intentionally selecting a Policy."

It's not against the rules, as he said he's shuffling as long as the one ha WANTS to discard is on top. So he's selecting it intentionally.

I still don't find this way good, cause if you shuffle a lot and then pass a facist you will be still held liable.

After few games we just learned to discard the middle one very fast and if someone watches and calls it you can always call him a facist and disagree strongly. Still, we plan to make a house rule for 6p game to discard under the table as we find facists are at big disadvantage in 6p games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Coryell
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arquiteto wrote:
Egotistic8 wrote:
bubba0077 wrote:
squegeeboo wrote:
Mountainhawk wrote:

It's not against the rules, as he said he's shuffling as long as the one ha WANTS to discard is on top. So he's selecting it intentionally.

I still don't find this way good, cause if you shuffle a lot and then pass a facist you will be still held liable.

After few games we just learned to discard the middle one very fast and if someone watches and calls it you can always call him a facist and disagree strongly. Still, we plan to make a house rule for 6p game to discard under the table as we find facists are at big disadvantage in 6p games.

What Mountainhawk said they do: "I shuffle through..."

What the rules say you can not do: "...shuffle the tiles before discarding..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rynowiecki
Poland
flag msg tools
The rules say:

"shuffle the tiles before discarding (...) to avoid secretly and intentionally selecting a Policy."

And he's shuffling doesn't make him avoid intentionally selecting a Policy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Clarke
England
Dursley
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Surely this game is all about the long game, just like poker?
If, as a liberal, you quickly select when dealt with 3 fascist policies, you are ruining it for yourself when, in a later game, you are a fascist.
Therefore, it is in everybody's interest to not doing anything obvious when you are in one role or another. It's a massive "tell".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Coryell
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arquiteto wrote:
The rules say:

"shuffle the tiles before discarding (...) to avoid secretly and intentionally selecting a Policy."

And he's shuffling doesn't make him avoid intentionally selecting a Policy.

I concede. You're right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Coryell
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To clarify the rule in discussion, I contacted the SH people and they responded with:

"
Thanks for reaching out! The President can shuffle them before they look at them, but they must then make a conscious choice about which one they pick. You cannot pick a random one after shuffling.

Best,
- Maya, Community Manager for Secret Hitler"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rynowiecki
Poland
flag msg tools
Egotistic8 wrote:
Community Manager for Secret Hitler

Woah! That's some serious job title
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.