Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
I've been writing down a few things as I play.

1. If Japanese units are allowed to set up 'anywhere' can they be set up deployed in caves?
2 Gray scale the smoke and barrage markers: Hvy-Black, Medium-dark gray, lt- lt gray, smoke-almost white. (akin to the DG markers)
3. Put the "no-rally" on the barrage side of the naval bombardment markers.
4. The free set-up campaign provides a few trench markers for the Japanese. Do or should they get some in the scenarios? Should or can units set up in fox holes?
5. Make the TQ DC and Dispatch makers easier to discern: stripes, color bars I don't know just something (I've marked mine).
6. In the "First Week in Hell" scenario there is a red stripe HMG unit that is listed with the restricted movement units and listed as set up with a unit. Since none of the other red stripes are listed as restricted I assumed it's inclusion on the list is a error.

I'll keep 'em coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Mortell
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:

1. If Japanese units are allowed to set up 'anywhere' can they be set up deployed in caves?
Yes you may.

2 Gray scale the smoke and barrage markers: Hvy-Black, Medium-dark gray, lt- lt gray, smoke-almost white. (akin to the DG markers)
Good idea - I'll mention it although it may be too late for Guam

Another good idea

4. The free set-up campaign provides a few trench markers for the Japanese. Do or should they get some in the scenarios? Should or can units set up in fox holes?
Not sure I follow here. The scenarios specify which units receive Trenches or foxholes. If they aren't mentioned then they don't get them.

5. Make the TQ DC and Dispatch makers easier to discern: stripes, color bars I don't know just something (I've marked mine).
They do have the Saipan Logo on the reverse side.

6. In the "First Week in Hell" scenario there is a red stripe HMG unit that is listed with the restricted movement units and listed as set up with a unit. Since none of the other red stripes are listed as restricted I assumed it's inclusion on the list is a error.
I couldn't see what you meant here. Could you specify the unit please?

I'll keep 'em coming.
Not a problem. Hopefully you are enjoying the game?
Ross

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
Ross99 wrote:
rcbevco wrote:

Yes you may.
Good it seemed to make sense, you might want to include that in the rules.

Good idea - I'll mention it although it may be too late for Guam
Finding the right ones from the "pile" can be a bugger, thanks!

Another good idea

Not sure I follow here. The scenarios specify which units receive Trenches or foxholes. If they aren't mentioned then they don't get them.
Sounds fine I'll get back with you but since most American WG are written in inclusive language I assumed they could not.

They do have the Saipan Logo on the reverse side.
When the markers are on the track it's easy for us geriatric types to move the wrong marker. So the request was to put them on the front so we can tell which one it the TQ and which one is the dispatch...etc.

I couldn't see what you meant here. Could you specify the unit please?
I don't have the book in front of me. Toward the end of the First Week scenario there is a lone Japanese SW (HMG?) with a red stripe (on the right side of the page). The set up instructions in the box state that it is to be set up with any other unit in the formation. The 'no move until the the 20th' lists 11 units including the same SW. None of the of the units in the formation it sets up with are on that list (other than the SW). So the set up instruction contradict each other unless the SW sets up but cannot move until the 20th (SW don't "move").

I'll keep 'em coming.
Not a problem. Hopefully you are enjoying the game?
Ross

I'll be baaack.... Yes in fact I am.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Mortell
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I don't have the book in front of me. Toward the end of the First Week scenario there is a lone Japanese SW (HMG?) with a red stripe (on the right side of the page). The set up instructions in the box state that it is to be set up with any other unit in the formation. The 'no move until the the 20th' lists 11 units including the same SW. None of the of the units in the formation it sets up with are on that list (other than the SW). So the set up instruction contradict each other unless the SW sets up but cannot move until the 20th (SW don't "move").

The HMG in the setup instructions should not be listed. The red stripe HMG sets up with the I/118 listed above it in the scenario instructions. I will add it to the errata.

Glad to know you're having fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
Ross99 wrote:

The HMG in the setup instructions should not be listed. The red stripe HMG sets up with the I/118 listed above it in the scenario instructions. I will add it to the errata.

Glad to know you're having fun

That's what I assumed thnx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
A couple things:

If an IF fire artillery unit and a DF artillery unit are stacked together:
1. Can they contribute the +1 FP?
2. On a divisional/regimental (if appropriate) activation can they both fire separately or just one of them fires?

Armor and FP penalties.
Does a SW give this benefit even though it cannot be fired at individually? If so does't the -2 seem too high for a unit that pretty much can't be eliminated. I understand why the are parceled out as SW to reflect their historical usage. I'm not sure that a half dozen tanks should give a whole stack of units a -2, the same -2 a whole company of tanks gives. (-1 or lower defense value could fix it) . A deployed unit with a SW tank reduces almost all Japanese fire to "spray and pray" zeros.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
2. On a divisional/regimental (if appropriate) activation can they both fire separately or just one of them fires?

1 - Nope - they have to be of the same type (and at least the same range) to add to the firing unit.

2 - Only one can fire.

Quote:
Does a SW give this benefit even though it cannot be fired at individually? If so does't the -2 seem too high for a unit that pretty much can't be eliminated. I understand why the are parceled out as SW to reflect their historical usage. I'm not sure that a half dozen tanks should give a whole stack of units a -2, the same -2 a whole company of tanks gives. (-1 or lower defense value could fix it) . A deployed unit with a SW tank reduces almost all Japanese fire to "spray and pray" zeros.

Tanks are tough. I see a +5 attack against a Unit In-Column with Tank Support if you are careful about where your Units go...hardly rolling for 0s. And the US doesn't have Tank SWs in every hex - but in the end, yes, tanks are tough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
adamant wrote:
Quote:

1 - Nope - they have to be of the same type (and at least the same range) to add to the firing unit.

2 - Only one can fire.

Quote:

Tanks are tough. I see a +5 attack against a Unit In-Column with Tank Support if you are careful about where your Units go...hardly rolling for 0s. And the US doesn't have Tank SWs in every hex - but in the end, yes, tanks are tough.

I'm not saying that they aren't, particularly vs an opponent with nil in the way of AT capabilities. With some luck they could also have quite a few Amtracks too. Shouldn't those be involuntarily withdrawn after the first day or two?

I do understand how and why the were used in the Pacific. Giving a -2 DM to units in column is huge. OTOH having a half dozen Sherman's helping an inf co. advance by providing cover and covering fire would have almost no effect on barrage fire IMHO (direct fire is hurt IF is nerfed to pretty much to 0 and the occasional 1). I guess in the end that was my biggest "gripe". That and the fact that they are hard to impossible to eliminate and can't be targeted. It's like having a mobile entrenchment marker. When the subject changes to Europe I'm not sure that tank SW will work very well.

I guess if that's the net effect you were looking for I get it, and I'm OK with it.

Love the game though if you have any interest in CSS or Pacific island battles it's a must get game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very comfortable with the profound effects in the pacific for good armor...and making them SWs prevented ahistorical mobility by the US forces. But you won't see Tank SWs in Europe. Very different feel there.

I look forward to getting Montélimar on your table and I think you'll see a very different kind of game.

WHile I think the effect is exactly what I was hoping for in how tough the Tank SWs are here - and also how limited they are in mobility (you can't really see that very major handicap without a frame of reference), you are very welcome to house rule things to make the game work better for you. Hey, it's a new system and if what you have works, it might show up in a later game in the Pacific. Just let me know how it goes. (But I'll take some convincing...)

Adam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.