9 Posts

Sword & Sorcery» Forums » Rules

Subject: Attack effects optional? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rezard Vareth
United States
flag msg tools
I know if an attack has a lightning symbol the effect is optional for the heroes to trigger, since they can choose not to spend the symbol.

What about the no cost "bash" effect on shields? Is that mandatory or optional, once you have scored a hit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RezardVareth wrote:
I know if an attack has a lightning symbol the effect is optional for the heroes to trigger, since they can choose not to spend the symbol.

What about the no cost "bash" effect on shields? Is that mandatory or optional, once you have scored a hit?

So far as I know, it's optional. My understanding of weapon effects for heroes is that they always have to be triggered by the player (unless the card explicitly says otherwise), and Bash on a shield is basically a no-cost effect.

I don't think Simone has ruled on this yet, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rezard Vareth
United States
flag msg tools
Skaak wrote:
RezardVareth wrote:

So far as I know, it's optional. My understanding of weapon effects for heroes is that they always have to be triggered by the player (unless the card explicitly says otherwise), and Bash on a shield is basically a no-cost effect.

Thanks. Obv relevant for shield mastery, since you might want the KO without the bash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
United States
West Nyack
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skaak wrote:
Quote:

Hmm. With no official ruling to the contrary, I would be inclined to think that the shield Bash is NOT optional and it would automatically activate if damage is done (or maybe if just a hit is achieved; NRBH) as opposed to other abilities that *can* be activated if you roll the proper symbols.

Don't know if it's related or not, but similarly, if you obtain a Critical hit, even if the attack kills the target outright, I still draw a Critical token as it can affect what tokens can be drawn later in the game.

I don't have any particular vested interest in this ruling, but this is just how I would currently play it. So, if I didn't want the Bash effect, I wouldn't use the shield.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wsmithjr wrote:
... activate if damage is done (or maybe if just a hit is achieved; NRBH)...

To hopefully save the next guy some googling:

NRBH = No Rule Book Handy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rezard Vareth
United States
flag msg tools
wsmithjr wrote:
Skaak wrote:
Quote:

Hmm. With no official ruling to the contrary, I would be inclined to think that the shield Bash is NOT optional and it would automatically activate if damage is done (or maybe if just a hit is achieved; NRBH) as opposed to other abilities that *can* be activated if you roll the proper symbols.

Don't know if it's related or not, but similarly, if you obtain a Critical hit, even if the attack kills the target outright, I still draw a Critical token as it can affect what tokens can be drawn later in the game.

I don't have any particular vested interest in this ruling, but this is just how I would currently play it. So, if I didn't want the Bash effect, I wouldn't use the shield.
For crits, only relevant for the carnage event, since otherwise heroes' crits are 100% voluntary.

I tend to agree with Skaak on this one though. All the language around effects is permissive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Martinez
United States
California
flag msg tools
I'm not sure if it's still a thing but I recall a shield having the phrase "On hit: Bash".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rezard Vareth
United States
flag msg tools
Rios Graven wrote:
I'm not sure if it's still a thing but I recall a shield having the phrase "On hit: Bash".
Not still a thing. I had 3 shields over course of campaign, none said that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,
Weapon effects are optional unless directly specified (usually to get malus, wounds etc...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.