Board Game: Splendor
Splendor» Forums » General

Subject: How to spot a counterfeit Splendor rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
René De la Garza
Mexico
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Viticulture fanMicrobadge: Letters from Whitechapel fanMicrobadge: Carcassonne Expansion CollectorMicrobadge: PhotographerMicrobadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner Knizia
Hi everyone! I bought Splendor through Amazon, and it arrived today. The quality of the components in the game is really poor compared to what i remember in the games i've played before. Do you know if there was a low quality run for this game? Otherwise, do you know how can I check if it is a counterfeit? I'm definetley returning it, but i want to know if i should report it as fake.

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Terraforming Mars FanMicrobadge: Castles of Burgundy fanMicrobadge: Trajan FanMicrobadge: I'm a Concordia Vintner!Microbadge: I'm a Concordia Weaver!
renedelagza wrote:
Hi everyone! I bought Splendor through Amazon, and it arrived today. The quality of the components in the game is really poor compared to what i remember in the games i've played before. Do you know if there was a low quality run for this game? Otherwise, do you know how can I check if it is a counterfeit? I'm definetley returning it, but i want to know if i should report it as fake.

Thank you!
I don't know of anything specific to look for. If you post pictures of your copy I could point out the things that look like they don't match the retail copy quality.

Here's an example of something that's clearly a substitute. The color is definitely a little off and they misspelled the title.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
External image
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I have been fortunate to notice when I suspect a bogus product on Amazon. And I've watched the posts here.

I cannot tell you about your situation, but I can help people identify shady offers. They have certain characteristics.

• They have one in stock an a price MUCH lower than anyone else
• They usually claim it is NEW
• The seller's account appears in Amazon as "Just Launched"
• Sometimes the seller's name is quite generic

Case in point: Just last night I found a Schrade knife going "new" for half the price of all other sellers from a newly launched store by "Mary Thompson". And this morning, she was outpriced by Tommy Roberts (also just launched)!

Both have no storefront, free shipping, and no tax! Amazing!

And the seller profile for each reads...
"MARY THOMPSON is committed to providing each customer with the highest standard of customer service."
and
"TOMMY ROBERTS is committed to providing each customer with the highest standard of customer service."

Check it out here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0033H7VI6/ref=dp_ol...

I may be wrong, but everything about these screams counterfeit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Check out this thread: Splendor chip quality

It has numerous photographs of what appears to be a counterfeit copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René De la Garza
Mexico
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Viticulture fanMicrobadge: Letters from Whitechapel fanMicrobadge: Carcassonne Expansion CollectorMicrobadge: PhotographerMicrobadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner Knizia
Here's a photo of the insert, which feels like very cheap plastic:
From gallery of renedelagza

Then, the chips. They also look very cheap. The plastic is very light, it has many scratches and the stickers are printed with low quality and some of them are off-center

These are the front and back of the box:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Above and Below fanMicrobadge: I love auroras/northern lights!Microbadge: Crusaders: Thy Will Be Done fanMicrobadge: ...and I would've gotten away with it, if it hadn't been for those meddling kids!
If you can, compare your components with someone else's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Lynch
United States
syracuse
NY
flag msg tools
Just thought I would show this
From gallery of mistawankas

That guy was kind of being a dick, but the question was answered in a way that makes it obvious Splendor is lower quality since sometime in 2016.

With that said.

Even some games directly from Amazon are running into this quality control issue. I honestly believe there are manufactures that mail directly to Amazon instead of the publishers warehouse first. Allowing for the occasional B/C stock to hit Amazons store, therefore in the end, making it on your table. Even when bought first party from Amazon.

Here is an album comparing B stock vs legit publisher intended 7 Wonders http://imgur.com/a/d05yi

This leads to two possible scenarios. One, you managed to get a lower quality item because it was hard for the item to keep the original quality. Two, you are getting counterfeit or B/C stock from a manufacturer. In both cases contacting the publisher and discussing the issue can fix this, since they can answer if it was just lower quality or an obvious fake/bad stock. In all cases I bet Amazon will fix this no questions asked.

(Clarification) B or C stock is when the printers start to run dry or the machine gets jammed up at a manufacturer. Creating easily identifiable and wildly inconsistent copies of games.

Counterfeits might be literally a group of employees turning the machines on at night (for lack of longer explanation) and making a few extra copies to sell for cheap. Or the literal term when people hand make replica games, which is not at all what we are discussing since that is just blatantly obvious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Woods
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I backed Santorini on Kickstarter!Microbadge: I love deceivingMicrobadge: Social deduction games fan
I had this same exact problem, as did someone else in a recent thread.

I can't tell if my copy was actually counterfeit or just a lower quality version. But similar to you, the quality was too low to even pay $20 for it. I returned my copy as well.

If these are counterfeits, hopefully Amazon catches on after all the returns. If not, it seems like the publishers may have had a better time raising the price than reducing the quality so much that people think their copies are counterfeits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KM Tham
Singapore
flag msg tools
Microbadge: British Blue Cat loverMicrobadge: CrossFitter
Got a copy from Amazon recently with labelled 2016-3 on the bottom left corner of the back of box and compared it to a 2014-2 print.

The 2016-3 version weighs 702g and is made in Germany, has a darker shade of yellow. Printing on the back of the box seemed slightly misaligned and the entire box has a regular non-vinyl finish. While the cards and tiles are thin with some warping, the poker chips suffer the biggest loss of quality compared with the previous batch - fingernail marks are aplenty on the poker chip stickers and the sides of some chips are sharp from injection molding residue which was not shaved off. The chips can be quite dangerous to skin if handled incorrectly.

The 2014-2 version, in contrast, weight 1152g (albeit with card sleeves) and is indicated as made in China. The box uses a lighter shade of yellow and along with the cards and tiles have a vinyl finish.

The only conclusion I can draw is that while the 2016-3 copy may not be a pirated one, it appears that component quality has been deliberately reduced for this 2016-3 print run.

EDIT: Managed to find a 2016-3 box with a vinyl finish. Card and tiles inside were all as thick as the 2014-2 version and had vinyl finishes. Chips had so problematic residues. Insert was thick.

The only perceivable difference is that the chips were lighter as stated by Space Cowboys in their response above.

My amended conclusion is that there are particular boxes within the 2016-3 batch that did not have the same quality control. It's hard to say the Asmodee or Space Cowboys made this production decision on purpose when there's such a gulf in quality within the same batch. Would be anyone's guess if the problem copies are rejects or infiltrated pirated copies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Norris
United States
Blacksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
Insert witty and self aware quote here
badge
Show how culturally relevant I am by writing a well written joke or meme reference
Microbadge: Mining EngineerMicrobadge: CLICK MICROBADGE to see what I have FOR SALEMicrobadge: Virginia TechMicrobadge: I made my own gaming tableMicrobadge: Mining
How is this definite change in quality effect the use of expansions across different print runs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KM Tham
Singapore
flag msg tools
Microbadge: British Blue Cat loverMicrobadge: CrossFitter
Alextnorris wrote:
How is this definite change in quality effect the use of expansions across different print runs?
The changes in quality do not appear definite. Looks like a defect issue within copies of the same production batch as some 2016-3 copies have thick cards and tiles, vinyl finishes across the box, cards, and tiles, and sturdy inserts.

EDIT: Weight on various versions:
2014-2: 1152g (with card sleeves)
2016-3: 830g
2016-3 defective version: 702g

That's the easiest way to tell if the latest reprint version you received was defective or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Jack Vasel Memorial Fund auction participant - 2017Microbadge: The Dice Tower Gaming Awards fanMicrobadge: Cool Mini Or Not "Rum and Bones: Second Tide" Contest participantMicrobadge: Agent of the CabalMicrobadge: BGG is my Facebook
My chips are magnetic, you can check that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Battlestar Galactica fanMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica fanMicrobadge: Cthulhu Wars fan - cultist of the Yellow SignMicrobadge: TIE InterceptorMicrobadge: "Red 5 standing by..."
Huh, well I just ordered one listed at 1.8 pounds (830 grams is 1.82 pounds), so I guess we'll see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Battlestar Galactica fanMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica fanMicrobadge: Cthulhu Wars fan - cultist of the Yellow SignMicrobadge: TIE InterceptorMicrobadge: "Red 5 standing by..."
Turned out to be the 830 gram version; chips are 8g. I'm satisfied with the quality, especially for $15 with the Amazon coupon from a few days ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Arkham Horror fanMicrobadge: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night fanMicrobadge: I thrift for games the old-fashioned way, without artificial intelligenceMicrobadge: I'm a mark for New Japan Pro-WrestlingMicrobadge: I use Linux
That's too bad about the chip quality and weight...it was the defining feature of the game for me. But i still have my sister in laws version to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Y

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
I bought a copy at Target. Box says 2017. Chips are 8g. Never having felt the 2014 chips, I'm pretty satisfied with the quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CLS Games -- Atlanta's Board Game Warehouse
United States
Kennesaw
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Sports Center fanMicrobadge: RetailerMicrobadge: CLS Games fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: Star Wars fan
Sarcasmorator wrote:
Huh, well I just ordered one listed at 1.8 pounds (830 grams is 1.82 pounds), so I guess we'll see.
Aye -- the heavier chip version is much heavier than 1.8 pounds. Some folks have been confused by the Golden Geek Logo (present or absent) thinking that would help them determine what they are getting. The logo is not the determining factor when identifying an edition of Splendor -- there are both heavy weight and light weight chip versions with that logo. One MUST look at the product code on the back of the game box to know what you are getting. We have this in stock and posted for sale in the BGG marketplace:

2015-2/SCSPL01US/LON001

The naked weight on the shipping scale for a copy is 2 pounds, 6 ounces (2.4 pound), so you know you are getting the heavier chips.

From gallery of rsolow

From gallery of rsolow

From gallery of rsolow

From gallery of rsolow

From gallery of rsolow

From gallery of rsolow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls