United States
Pilot Point
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please note this question includes February, April, and June Spoilers

Spoiler (click to reveal)
An Equipment card allows you to discard it for the listed effect (such as a "grenade belt" which can be discarded at any time. Not an Action)

A Rivals Relationship allows you to immediately discard two cards to pick up the card that your rival recently played/discarded.

So can multiple effects trigger in such a scenario? Where Player A plays X card on their turn, so Player B (who is a rival) discards two cards to get card X. Can player B discard "grenade belt" as one of their two cards to acquire card X, but in so doing gets to also trigger the effect of grenade belt (assuming that there is a faded to kill on Player B's location?

So in in the process of satisfying the Rivals condition, can grenade belt also count toward killing a faded? or is it to be treated as each their own stand alone, declared function?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure the intention is that to gain a discard effect, you have to be discarding the card for that purpose. Otherwise, the text would read 'when you discard this you may...'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig B
Australia
Mount Hawthorn
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a distinction between discarding as a cost and discarding as a trigger.

When you discard a card as a cost, you get that one effect, and any number of effects that use it as a trigger.

Or, if you're discarding as a consequence (for example, for hand limit), you can't use it as a cost, but can still get any triggers.

If you only have effects that trigger off discards, you can't get any of them because you've not got a cost or consequence to cause the discard.

February spoiler:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Rivals has a discard trigger (when your Rival discards) and a discard cost (when you discard cards to pick up that discarded card). Whenever your Rival discards a card for any reason - cost or consequence - you get the opportunity to pick it up (assuming you have two cards to spare) regardless of whether anything else also triggers off that discard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Whitmire
United States
Pilot Point
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm kind of surprised that I haven't seen this question asked in other Rules threads, at least I haven't seen anything after doing a few advanced searches. Maybe this just comes across as so blatantly invalid to others?

To me, the combo of getting to discard a card both for its listed card effect and also to satisfy the terms of another condition seems nearly intended, although I do understand the distinctions mentioned by Robert above.

For example, take the starting Character Upgrade of "Flexible": "For an action, discard a card to draw a card of the same color from the player discard pile". It would be an interesting combo to discard (I'll remain vague) some cards that come to mind in order to pick up others. Neither of which in my mind seem game breaking; certainly not more so than anything that's already available to the player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
It probably helps to think of "discard X in order to Y" as "spend X (and discard it) in order to Y".

When you discard a $10 bill to the cashier in a supermarket, you don't then get to walk away with as many $10 items as you like. (-8
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dustwhit wrote:
For example, take the starting Character Upgrade of "Flexible": "For an action, discard a card to draw a card of the same color from the player discard pile". It would be an interesting combo to discard (I'll remain vague) some cards that come to mind in order to pick up others. Neither of which in my mind seem game breaking; certainly not more so than anything that's already available to the player.

Yeah, using Flexible to recycle an Unfunded Event (both available as starting upgrades) is a perfectly viable combo, but you can't discard 5 cards of that colour (assuming no Positive Mutations and a non-Scientist character) to both Discover a Cure and draw a discarded card of that colour with Flexible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.