Hide
11 Posts

Mice and Mystics» Forums » Variants

Subject: The Treachery Deck and Mousetraps houserule rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lennox MacDuff
msg tools
I don't particularly like that 1, bad things can happen from a successful search and (with the exception of the Shriek bug card), there's really nothing that you can do to avoid it. I'm sure that some people enjoy the risk/reward dynamic, but IMO since searching is already something that can only be done successfully once per tile AND costs an action, this is a bit too much.

2. The game is, for me, missing the classic RPG feel of having to find/avoid/disable traps when going from room to room.

3. Encounter cards that list mousetraps don't add anything to the game when found on a room that doesn't have mousetrap spaces.

So, to remedy these issues I've come up with the following:

1. Remove all treachery cards from the search deck and place them to the side as the "Treachery Deck".

2. When using an explore action to exit a tile that has no mousetrap spaces while there is a face-up encounter card that has Mousetraps listed on it, the exploring mouse must attempt to avoid the treachery(this is done the same way as avoiding a mousetrap).

If you succeed proceed to the next room as normal, if you fail the exploring mouse draws a card from the Treachery Deck immediately upon entering the next tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

That's a very interesting idea. I like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Glassman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea but I have a few questions.

Let's say the mice start on tile A, and we had an encounter card with mousetraps on it. We defeat all the minions and explore to Tile B. We draw a new encounter card.

Which encounter card do we use for the 'mousetrap' check? Tile A encounter card or Tile B encounter card?

And I already play without treachery cards. It works very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lennox MacDuff
msg tools
Right now I'm playing it that as you leave Tile A whoever explores out would make a check to avoid the "trap" that is listed on the Tile A card If they fail you still move on to tile B and then that mouse then draws and resolves a Treachery card, basically, at the same time as you draw and resolve the Encounter Card for Tile B.

I'm trying to create a situation where the mice spotted a 'trap' up ahead and sent one of them to attempt to 'disarm' it so the party could move on to the next tile. I had the effects then 'wait' to actually be on the next card because I felt that would make it more of a challenge, but I now realize that's kind of a mess in terms of order of events, and, logically, the mousetrap should effect the Encounter Card that it's actually on.

So, uh, yeah, I think I'm going to switch it up the next time I play a Chapter so that the Treachery 'trap' is resolved as soon as the Tile A encounter card with Mousetraps on it is revealed and see how that goes.

Thanks for commenting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Glassman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lennox_MacDuff wrote:
Right now I'm playing it that as you leave Tile A whoever explores out would make a check to avoid the "trap" that is listed on the Tile A card If they fail you still move on to tile B and then that mouse then draws and resolves a Treachery card, basically, at the same time as you draw and resolve the Encounter Card for Tile B.

I'm trying to create a situation where the mice spotted a 'trap' up ahead and sent one of them to attempt to 'disarm' it so the party could move on to the next tile. I had the effects then 'wait' to actually be on the next card because I felt that would make it more of a challenge, but I now realize that's kind of a mess in terms of order of events, and, logically, the mousetrap should effect the Encounter Card that it's actually on.

So, uh, yeah, I think I'm going to switch it up the next time I play a Chapter so that the Treachery 'trap' is resolved as soon as the Tile A encounter card with Mousetraps on it is revealed and see how that goes.

Thanks for commenting!

I feel like it could just be. Tile A encounter has mousetraps we're good. We 'attempt'to explore Tile B which has no mousetraps. At this exact moment we reveal the encounter card. Encounter states mousetraps. This is when we do a check.

What do you think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lennox MacDuff
msg tools
throwing8smokes wrote:
Lennox_MacDuff wrote:

Thanks for commenting!

I feel like it could just be. Tile A encounter has mousetraps we're good. We 'attempt'to explore Tile B which has no mousetraps. At this exact moment we reveal the encounter card. Encounter states mousetraps. This is when we do a check.

What do you think.

I think that I'm having a little trouble parsing what you're saying here?

If you draw an encounter card that has traps and the tile has no mousetrap spaces, you would have the mouse who explored to the tile do their mousetrap roll right away, if they succeed play as normal, if they fail they draw a treachery card and deal with it immediately. If the tile has mousetrap spaces you ignore the treachery deck and play the tile as normal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Glassman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand this now. This is...AWESOME. wow. What a great rule. How is it playing so far? I'm totally added this to my comprehensive campaign rules.

Thanks so much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lennox MacDuff
msg tools
It's been working well, I have run into a bit of a question mark with the Thimble Helm item though, as its text reads that when that mouse draws a treachery card from the search deck they should discard that card and draw again. That's probably too good for this variant, as you could simply have the mouse wearing the thimble helm always explore out of a tile and have complete immunity from Treachery.

I'm changing it so that the mouse wearing the Thimble Helm gets to roll an extra die when attempting to avoid treachery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Segundo
Brazil
Belem
Para
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
throwing8smokes wrote:
I understand this now. This is...AWESOME. wow. What a great rule. How is it playing so far? I'm totally added this to my comprehensive campaign rules.

Thanks so much!

Where can I find your campaign rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Glassman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right here: [url]https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1716176/compilation-all-hou...
[/url]
Enjoy, there are quite a lot of rules.

I am not playing with Falenthal's located search variant anymore because that sometimes leaves you with nothing to do on your turn. I would test it out though to see how you like it. For example, with my house rules, Nez has a movement value of just 2 (1+1) which means with the located search variant, Nez is far away from a search usually, and far away from enemies and he is a melee character. This means he can't attack or search sometimes which is not fun. At least with the base rules, you can always search.

Furtheremore, you may or may not be a beginner, but there are some useful tips in this article as well: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1750209/comprehensive-quick...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Segundo
Brazil
Belem
Para
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
throwing8smokes wrote:
Right here: [url]https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1716176/compilation-all-hou...
[/url]
Enjoy, there are quite a lot of rules.

I am not playing with Falenthal's located search variant anymore because that sometimes leaves you with nothing to do on your turn. I would test it out though to see how you like it. For example, with my house rules, Nez has a movement value of just 2 (1+1) which means with the located search variant, Nez is far away from a search usually, and far away from enemies and he is a melee character. This means he can't attack or search sometimes which is not fun. At least with the base rules, you can always search.

Furtheremore, you may or may not be a beginner, but there are some useful tips in this article as well: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1750209/comprehensive-quick...

Thanks a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.