Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Holt
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking of getting into doing game videos, and so I thought I'd start with Target For Today. I've got my setup ready, but I've realized that this game, maybe more so than any other game I have, does not have a "typical" layout.

So, what should I try and "show" in my video? Should it just be the Battle Board and the charts? What about the paperwork? I already have plans to show and talk about the Zone Worksheet and the Plane Mission Log, but do they need to be in frame the whole time? I've noticed I really don't use the Crew Placement Mats much in my games. I apply the correct counters when needed, but when I play, I write everything down on the logs and that's what I go off of.

What would you like to see...actually see on screen while I'm talking through my play through? I'm planning on this be a "Let's Play" more so than "Learn to Play"...does that make a difference to what you want to see?

Thanks,

Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Leander
Texas
flag msg tools
I will probably watch this is whatever format you make For me, my main interest would be in watching another person navigate the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Correia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tpholt wrote:
I've been thinking of getting into doing game videos, and so I thought I'd start with Target For Today. I've got my setup ready, but I've realized that this game, maybe more so than any other game I have, does not have a "typical" layout.

So, what should I try and "show" in my video? Should it just be the Battle Board and the charts? What about the paperwork? I already have plans to show and talk about the Zone Worksheet and the Plane Mission Log, but do they need to be in frame the whole time? I've noticed I really don't use the Crew Placement Mats much in my games. I apply the correct counters when needed, but when I play, I write everything down on the logs and that's what I go off of.

What would you like to see...actually see on screen while I'm talking through my play through? I'm planning on this be a "Let's Play" more so than "Learn to Play"...does that make a difference to what you want to see?

Thanks,

Tony

1) Check out some of the videos created by Stuka Joe for inspiration.
https://youtu.be/c0sJ2rRuvbE
2) As it is a new game, you'll need to show each book/component at least once.
3) Then just stick to the "battle board".

I like the editing that Stuka Joe does, where you see a reference to what table was being used and the end result of the die roll, without watching him roll the dice or flip through a book. Of course with so many die modifiers you may feel the need to show a few charts at least once as you total up the dice minus penalties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Holt
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen StukaJoe's videos, and mine will not be in his class, I'm sure. I wasn't really planning on any post-production type things, as I'm not that advanced at video editing at this point (one of the reasons I wanted to start doing this was to learn).

I was basically planning on just turning on the camera and away I go. Showing charts and what not at least once or twice if something new came up.

Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garen Evans
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sounds alright to me - I've just started playing my copy and had a lot of questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Lein
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tony,

I think you should make your first video just for you and do what comes naturally and then watch it to see what works and what does not. Then do another and see the difference. One thing to keep in mind is the length and at what point you'll lose your audience. I'm not sure what that is, 20 minutes? Of course you can do segments covering certain aspects only and that way players could watch the ones where they may have more questions.

Good luck and thank you for your obvious immersion into the game in such a short time. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Randy Lein - LEGION WARGAMES
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Holt
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I started the video last night, and everything was going great. I rolled a shorter mission, which I think is probably a good thing for a video, but I was still at 40 minutes and not yet to the target .

I decided to stop there and pick things up today. I went to transfer the video to my computer from my camera (I'm just using my smartphone) and while the video said it transferred, it never showed up on my computer and also is gone from my phone! cry

So, I am using this as a learning experience. I plan on restarting tonight, but I am going to "impose" a shorter mission type for the video. Go through the motions of showing how campaign and mission are selected, but if it's a long one, select a shorter one for length. Also, I think this video will be in parts, keeping each part to around 20 minutes or so. Make it easier to watch and easier to put together for me.

I did watch the video on my phone before I attempted to transfer, and things looked pretty good (I am focusing on the Battle Board, but showed the Crew Placement Sheet when appropriate and also showing tables the first time). However, one thing I noticed was that there was a little glare on the board from my flash on my camera. I think I kind of need the flash, just because of how the lighting is in my room, but I will try a short video test tonight to see if going without works. Maybe "flip" my table around so that the light in the room is not behind me, and thus avoiding shadows, may be an option too. Any other thoughts on this?

Thanks for all the input. This video IS going to happen. I have some hopes of getting it finished and uploaded tonight, but it may be tomorrow, and then however long it takes for BGG to approve.

Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Magoulis
United States
Safety Harbor
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for your work on this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Davis
United States
Missouri City
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to what you publish. I just ordered the game today and would love to watch some videos before the game arrives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Holt
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just an update, I've figured out the issues with my smartphone camera (at least I think I have)...a bad micro-sd card. A new card will be purchased tonight after work. Good news is that I've gotten the lighting issues figured out, I think, and I've had a lot of practice making the videos, so it should be a little more polished than what it might have been.

Thanks for your patience. I have a long holiday weekend coming up (though I'll be away for a few days) and look to have the video completed and uploaded before the end of the 4th.

Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Holt
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The videos have been uploaded to YouTube and submitted to BGG. They still need to go through the approval process, so I don't know when they'll be up. Hopefully soon the entire sequence will be available in the Videos section. I broke it up into 5 different videos, running from 10-25 minutes each. In total, the whole sequence comes in at about 1.5 hours.

Not sure about the protocol of posting YouTube links here, but here is the direct YouTube link for the 1st video, if you want to get started on them:

If that's not allowed, I'll delete the link.

Would really appreciate any and all feedback you might have. This was my first attempt at any kind of videos for any game, so, really, any feedback is welcome.

Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Holt
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Videos are now up in the Videos section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Polak
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tpholt wrote:

Would really appreciate any and all feedback you might have. This was my first attempt at any kind of videos for any game, so, really, any feedback is welcome.

I really like your first video, and I am looking forward to the rest. My only (very minor) suggestion for improvement is that in the first couple of minutes, while looking at the combat board, there is a fair amount of glare coming off of the board, especially near the B17 card. It is NOT so bad as to invalidate the video, far from it, but perhaps future videos could attempt to reduce the glare somewhat. I will be the first to admit that most of my photos have glare issues, so I have no suggestions on what to do in order to actually reduce glare.
Otherwise, the video is great! Your diction is clear, your pacing is great, you are explaining everything to a degree which is appropriate.
Bravo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Holt
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew, thanks for the comments. Unfortunately, the glare doesn't go away . The lighting in my game room is not great, and so I used the flash on my camera the entire time. I struggled with it, and it was much worse. I'm thinking of adding another light fixture to help with that for the next game, perhaps.

Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.