Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Holland on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi

My lost cities cards through endless plays have become irritatingly sticky and are a nightmare to shuffle and deal.

They have a shiny coating so was wondering what is the best method to clean them?

Cheers
Baz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sleeve them. Or buy a new copy. Or both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spray them into a airtight plastic bag. Chase with several generous tables spoons of talcum powder or corn starch. shake them, tumble them. Dump the out onto a towels, brush them off with a soft brush or a plush cloth. Gently wipe any tough spots with a slightly (slightly!) damp sponge, after all the powder is gone from the rest of the card. If you have to sponge wipe away from the edge or don't touch the edges at all. Use cloth to suck up any moisture asap.

This is tedious, but the powder will wick up oils and gum up and abrade away any sticky crap. If you're lucky and careful!

Be nicer to those cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Portage
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
never done it myself so take this as a guess. I'd probably try some type of alcohol based cleaning solution so it evaporates away, using a very little amount of it applied with a microfiber cloth, like for glasses. Maybe before that try some art craft erasers, though don't scrub with them and too much force as that would probably destroy the card.

try googling how to clean magic cards, if theres anyone to care about cleaning cards its gotta be them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW web search for

how to clean playing cards

gives a lot of pages with pretty plausible sounding ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
I've cleaned a deck of cards. It's time consuming and super annoying. Tossing them into sleeves is a much better option.

Pete (knows some people are allergic to card sleeves, but this is the best use for them)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hopkins
United States
Converse
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:

But then what do you do with your old, newly-sleeved copy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom tom
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I used dryer sheets to clean my Lost Cities cards. It worked very well. They now shuffle great again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Holz
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmb
mafman6 wrote:
try googling how to clean magic cards, if theres anyone to care about cleaning cards its gotta be them

Magic cards, like for magic tricks? Magicians use zinc stearate/fanning powder to clean & rejuvenate decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
falsedan wrote:
mafman6 wrote:

Magic cards, like for magic tricks? Magicians use zinc stearate/fanning powder to clean & rejuvenate decks.

Magic cards, like Magic the Gathering cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really depends on the card coating. Also depends on how they are printed. (I have no idea about the card type for lost cities).

Plastic and plastic coated are super easy to clean, some diluted detergent soaked onto paper towel and then you just wipe off the cards.

However this will destroy any sort of cardboard card especially the cheaper card stock options.

I do tend to find if applied gently it also works on high quality cards like linen finish (High GSM cards). (Just ensure you use a damp paper towel not a soaked paper towel)

PS> I too agree it's a last option, as I'll generally just throw cards into sleaves if they experience a lot of wear and tear from use. It's much easier to clean sleaves or simply replace them as they get dirty over time, than try to clean and not damage the cards (some stains and obviously tears there is nothing you can do about them).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bazmondo123 wrote:
Hi

My lost cities cards through endless plays have become irritatingly sticky and are a nightmare to shuffle and deal.

They have a shiny coating so was wondering what is the best method to clean them?

Cheers
Baz

How much are you looking to spend on supplies and how much time are you going to spend cleaning that $15 game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Holland on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks guys for some great suggestions with the exception to maybe 'Thunkd' response who didn't really read/answer the question I asked.

If I wanted to sleeve the cards I would have done that, personally I hate sleeve cards and will just replace a game when the cards become worn out especially when the game is only £15 quid.

The cards are fine just a bit sticky, probably from the sticky little fingers of my 12 year old kid, so probably just need a wipe with a damp cloth which I am going to do now.

The reason I asked the question was that I was checking to find out if there were any good tips/magic way to clean them, i.e. had talc, vinegar, detergent, or whatever before I tried. Which I have got from MOST of the replies here.

Thanks again
Baz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found out many years ago that young children and games do not mix.
But non fragrance baby wipes are perfect . Clean ,not too damp,safe and have remarkable degreasing qualities.
First used in 2001 to mop up yogurt from panzerblitz map board with chits on , never looked back since.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamer's best friend?

Pete (cringes)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Gamer's best friend?

Pete (cringes)

I haven't tried that method for cleaning cards yet. I'll try it tonight and report back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Holland on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yep worked perfectly!!

To think I had the solution here all along!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dutch

Indiana
msg tools
mb
GitFeatures wrote:
I found out many years ago that young children and games do not mix.

Which is why I typically do sleeve the games that my I know my kids are going to be playing often. From time to time I may spend upwards of $6 to sleeve a $20 game, but it really helps especially when they don't know how to do a proper riffle shuffle.

It also has taught them to appreciate the games and they themselves have become etiquette police when introducing some of our table top games to their friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ran into the same issue with my well-loved old copy of RoboRally. I simply threw them all into sleeves. Problem solved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
I've cleaned a deck of cards. It's time consuming and super annoying. Tossing them into sleeves is a much better option.

Pete (knows some people are allergic to card sleeves, but this is the best use for them)

I converted to the Church of Sleeves about 3 weeks ago. Was playing my copy of Cave Evil: Warcults with friends and didn't have it sleeved. Someone ordered pizza and I started noticing grease prints on my cards. It's now sleeved. I'm already planning to sleeve my copies of Shadows of Brimstone, Yokohama: Deluxe, and Lisboa, amongst others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.