Hide
24 Posts

Folklore: The Affliction» Forums » General

Subject: Where is the hype at? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimmy A
msg tools
So the game is nearing its shipping date of August. No talk happening about the game as far as I can see. What's going on? :O

I'm used to people getting hyped up for game releases when it is nearing its release!

To get the talk going a bit I'd like to ask you all a question (2 actually).

1) Why did you back Folklore the Affliction?
2) What pledge level are you?

1) I backed folklore because the theme appeals a lot to me. I think the miniatures look fantastic (from what I can tell from the pictures), I like the choose your own adventure thing, I like a strong narrative focus in my games, I'm new to boardgame collecting and this seemed a nice crown game for my current collection (as in this game will be my most impressive item), it can be played single player and there will be official stuff to make your own adventures in the original format!

2) For the reasons listed above I went all-in as a late-pledger content-wise. I bought the 150-ish pack for all the miniatures and then I added on all the content things (extra stories, miniatures, cards etc.) so I can enjoy the game to the max!

Really curious what you guys will answer

Get some fuel in the hypetrain?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) the "goth" design
2) All in! And even more! (Ordered 2 secret boxes)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Patrick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love that it's a storytelling RPG and the setting is fantastic. I went all in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
I didn't back it, but I goaded a friend into backing it, then added the "minis add on pack" to his order!

I love the theme, and I tend to like games like these with a strong narrative that are RPG-ish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Wheeler
United States
Duncan
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I backed Folklore because the idea of a DnD-ish feeling board game without the need for a DM seems extremely interesting to me. I'm also likely going to be playing through this solo (but wouldn't be opposed to co-op should my friends have time). Solo most likely because my gaming group, now that most of us are in our 30s and have wives and kids, its hard for us to play campaign style games and we try to play games we can finish in one 5 ish hour session or less and we meet every couple of months or so. This is going to scratch that dnd itch I've got and I can do it solo. That's my big reason for backing.

Besides the above, it just looks cool and the narrative and thematic elements seem very compelling. I have high hopes for it.

Regarding my pledge level, I backed at the deluxe level and added basically everything else as an add on that included any game play element at all. Plus I got a little ahead of myself and ordered like 6 secret boxes. Why, I got no clue, lol. Clearly, I'll be selling 3 or so of those things here on BGG once it all arrives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like miniatures games and the styling of the game just looked really beautiful to me. I'm a bit tired of "fantasy" settings, so the dark-gothic look really appealed to me. And it looks like it could work well as a solo game, so that's a plus for me. The people I game with usually have a bunch of other games they want to try out, so it's nice to have the option to play a game alone.

My current hype level for it is pretty low. I don't really expect it to arrive in August, so it's still months away and I'm currently caught up in Gloomhaven/Sword and Sorcery/whatever game friends want to play.

I can't even remember what I ordered; I think I got the base game plus the ghost minis and dark oak mini. Still looking forward to it, but it's definitely on the back burner at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of all the similar games I backed around the same time - Gloomhaven, Gloom of Kilforth, Sword and Sorcery, Dark Souls - this was the one I thought looked like the best combination of adventures + story. It has the world map of Gloomhaven, although it might "matter" more. It has the in-scenario story decisions which potentially setup different winning conditions. Has the best looking minis, etc. I was more excited for Folklore than I was for any of the others. I expected one of them to be great, one of them to fail miserably. And the others to get lost in the shuffle. But which was which?

Why am I not talking about it? Well, they're hyping it less themselves, and there's been a lot of delays and other things to play. And then this happened.

Gloomhaven came. Gloomhaven is legitimately one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. I rated it a 10. Yes it uses standees. Yes the map tiles are pretty generic. Yes, the road/city events are pretty simple and straight forward. The cardplay itself is amazing, the world is interesting, and I've played 30+ times and I just want to keep playing.

Dark Souls came. I like the minis here a lot but after a quick solo play, haven't gotten it back out. It feels like it needs the variety of the expansions (shipping later) to help the grinding feel less samey. And some HUGE bosses too. This one is getting a ton of negative reviews, but I think its playable - just nowhere near as good a game as Gloomhaven and I think its arrival window severely hurt it.

Gloom of Kilforth came too. This one is just cards and not a campaign at all. But it does a very good job of giving the feeling of character progression and leveling up in one sitting. The game looks super pretty on the table and I'm also wanting to play this more.

Swords & Sorcery is arriving. I seem to be one of the last - still haven't gotten my tracking, but the early reviews make the game seem like its also pretty well made. At the very least, its not a disaster. Although since its shipping only ACT I and missing a lot of the extras, it will probably be shelved until complete.

In additon to these big dungeon-crawl/adventure type boxes I've also been playing a bunch of the escape room games to fill my puzzle solving needs. Over at FFG, Runebound (another one-sitting adventure) is getting the solo/co-op expansion it needs. Imperial Assault might be getting a co-op app. Mansions of Madness keeps pumping out more scenarios. Meanwhie on Kickstarter, I just got Near and Far which is ANOTHER campaign game that looks amazing. Cthulhu Wars arrived to eat all remaining space in the house. The Xia expansion came and fixed Xia making me want to head back out into space. There's other "2nd tier" Kickstarters that should be arriving before GenCon. Or soon after too. And 7th Continent is thinking about leaving China anyday and has always looked like a game made specifically for my tastes combining adventuring/exploring with puzzles! 7th Continent is pretty certainly going to arrive before Folklore too.

Which brings us back to Folklore. Since I was expecting ONE of the games to be a disaster, and I don't think any of the above qualify, my unfounded fears of made-up statistics are making my spidey-sense tingle. Then it'll have to wow me enough to fight for table space vs these others.

I only have so much hype to go around, and Folklore's release timing is hurting it. I still think it has the potential to be the sleeper hit of the group. But standing up to some of the other 2017 titans is going to be a tall order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Koeppen
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
LEGO: Hopeful for new 'Castle' sets in 2015!
badge
Games: Regarding my favorite theme of 'Fantasy', I'm hoping for fewer 'card' games and more 'board' games.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm super excited but it is also almost 2 months away. I have lots of new games to learn and play like gloom of kilforth and widowers wood and sword and sorcery and the 2nd half of my missing Arcadia quest inferno pledge just arrived.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Silveira
Brazil
Ribeirão Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:
Out of all the similar games I backed around the same time - Gloomhaven, Gloom of Kilforth, Sword and Sorcery, Dark Souls - this was the one I thought looked like the best combination of adventures + story. It has the world map of Gloomhaven, although it might "matter" more. It has the in-scenario story decisions which potentially setup different winning conditions. Has the best looking minis, etc. I was more excited for Folklore than I was for any of the others. I expected one of them to be great, one of them to fail miserably. And the others to get lost in the shuffle. But which was which?

Why am I not talking about it? Well, they're hyping it less themselves, and there's been a lot of delays and other things to play. And then this happened.

Gloomhaven came. Gloomhaven is legitimately one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. I rated it a 10. Yes it uses standees. Yes the map tiles are pretty generic. Yes, the road/city events are pretty simple and straight forward. The cardplay itself is amazing, the world is interesting, and I've played 30+ times and I just want to keep playing.

Dark Souls came. I like the minis here a lot but after a quick solo play, haven't gotten it back out. It feels like it needs the variety of the expansions (shipping later) to help the grinding feel less samey. And some HUGE bosses too. This one is getting a ton of negative reviews, but I think its playable - just nowhere near as good a game as Gloomhaven and I think its arrival window severely hurt it.

Gloom of Kilforth came too. This one is just cards and not a campaign at all. But it does a very good job of giving the feeling of character progression and leveling up in one sitting. The game looks super pretty on the table and I'm also wanting to play this more.

Swords & Sorcery is arriving. I seem to be one of the last - still haven't gotten my tracking, but the early reviews make the game seem like its also pretty well made. At the very least, its not a disaster. Although since its shipping only ACT I and missing a lot of the extras, it will probably be shelved until complete.

In additon to these big dungeon-crawl/adventure type boxes I've also been playing a bunch of the escape room games to fill my puzzle solving needs. Over at FFG, Runebound (another one-sitting adventure) is getting the solo/co-op expansion it needs. Imperial Assault might be getting a co-op app. Mansions of Madness keeps pumping out more scenarios. Meanwhie on Kickstarter, I just got Near and Far which is ANOTHER campaign game that looks amazing. Cthulhu Wars arrived to eat all remaining space in the house. The Xia expansion came and fixed Xia making me want to head back out into space. There's other "2nd tier" Kickstarters that should be arriving before GenCon. Or soon after too. And 7th Continent is thinking about leaving China anyday and has always looked like a game made specifically for my tastes combining adventuring/exploring with puzzles! 7th Continent is pretty certainly going to arrive before Folklore too.

Which brings us back to Folklore. Since I was expecting ONE of the games to be a disaster, and I don't think any of the above qualify, my unfounded fears of made-up statistics are making my spidey-sense tingle. Then it'll have to wow me enough to fight for table space vs these others.

I only have so much hype to go around, and Folklore's release timing is hurting it. I still think it has the potential to be the sleeper hit of the group. But standing up to some of the other 2017 titans is going to be a tall order.

Almost the same. But for me it's KDM that's coming with the second Gloomhaven kickstarter.
The timing has also hurt the chances this game will get to the table, although I don't have nearly the same number of games arriving.
I REALLY don't think Floklore is going to be a flop. But I'm really hyped for KDM. Like I'm trying to get it for almost a year when the kickstarter happened.

But I'm not selling this. I really think it's going to be sweet. =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
laucion wrote:

Almost the same. But for me it's KDM that's coming with the second Gloomhaven kickstarter.
The timing has also hurt the chances this game will get to the table, although I don't have nearly the same number of games arriving.
I REALLY don't think Floklore is going to be a flop. But I'm really hyped for KDM. Like I'm trying to get it for almost a year when the kickstarter happened.

But I'm not selling this. I really think it's going to be sweet. =)

Oh..um...I backed KDM the 2nd time too, but I don't really have any hope of it coming anywhere close to on time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete R.
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
The grace of Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very excited to play the game and look forward to finally receiving this late Kickstarter. I'm also disappointed there is so little communication, marketing and hype so close to release. I guess they may be waiting for the game to do the talking a la Gloomhaven - I guess that would be the best case scenerio. Anyways, I backed this over Sword & Sorcery mostly because of the unique setting and characters. Folklore may still deliver a great gaming experience and value but man, it's been a long road of very little discussion or updates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:
Out of all the similar games I backed around the same time - Gloomhaven, Gloom of Kilforth, Sword and Sorcery, Dark Souls - this was the one I thought looked like the best combination of adventures + story.....stuff cut.... I expected one of them to be great, one of them to fail miserably. And the others to get lost in the shuffle. But which was which?

From what I've played and heard it seems to me like Gloomhaven are S&S are great, Dark Souls failed miserably, and Gloom of Kilforth may get lost in the shuffle. We'll see what happens with Folklore, but it can't be as bad as Dark Souls, can it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete R.
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
The grace of Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DancingFool wrote:
stevelabny wrote:
Out of all the similar games I backed around the same time - Gloomhaven, Gloom of Kilforth, Sword and Sorcery, Dark Souls - this was the one I thought looked like the best combination of adventures + story.....stuff cut.... I expected one of them to be great, one of them to fail miserably. And the others to get lost in the shuffle. But which was which?

From what I've played and heard it seems to me like Gloomhaven are S&S are great, Dark Souls failed miserably, and Gloom of Kilforth may get lost in the shuffle. We'll see what happens with Folklore, but it can't be as bad as Dark Souls, can it?

Not to go off topic but Dark Souls did not fail miserably. A serious exaggeration there. In fact Dark Souls just won best American style game at the U.K. expo. Hopefully Folklore can "fail" that bad.

http://www.ukgamesexpo.co.uk/awards.php

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Strom40 wrote:
DancingFool wrote:
stevelabny wrote:

Not to go off topic but Dark Souls did not fail miserably. A serious exaggeration there. In fact Dark Souls just won best American style game at the U.K. expo. Hopefully Folklore can "fail" that bad.

http://www.ukgamesexpo.co.uk/awards.php

That's cool, man. Every review I've read has trashed it and made it sound like a lousy experience, so I was under the impression it was flopping. But, if you and others enjoy it, that's great! I have no stake in the outcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And Kilforth is getting another printing so doing fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The theme and the RPG-lite game play really pulled me in. I'm all in on this project. There are plenty of games that "look" like a fantasy adventure game, but many of them are really a combat game. Myth, Gloomhaven, Descent.... they are all fun games in their own right but really, they are all fairly linear. There are decisions to make, but many times they just tell you what scenario to play next.

Folklore has story events where your descisions have an impact later in the story. As an added bonus, they are also going to supply the digital files to create your own stories (card files, fonts, etc.). I can imagine that it will not take long after we begin playing before fan made stories start popping up on BGG!

I also backed Middara which is even more of an rpg boardgame. It's main storybook is 484 pages and it really sounds like your decisions really impact the story.

I am really looking forward to playing some RPGs without the need for a GM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
solod

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
Like you, I am definitely excited for this kickstarter.

1. To me it looks to be the closest thing to a true rpg hybrid board game. I've read the rules a couple of times through and I think it would be a natural progression for a GM to step in and run the game after you play through the campaigns. The system seems to support that. That's exciting to me and I can't believe it hasn't really been done yet in a board game.

Also I can play it solo and it seems like there is a whole bunch of content for me to play through. I think it will be very easy to create content for it and I'm crossing my fingers that people will create and release their own adventures for people to play through. The game world seems like it is set up to be played as a Sandbox campaign so I'm hoping that adventures can be added to the game to provide side quests, mini campaigns etc. The world would really come alive if there is tons of stuff to do at different locations. I'm eager to see how the Rumor deck will work too.

There is a lot of potential for variants as well. It looks like the game can be added to quite easily without breaking the rules. The creators have set it up that way with the creation kit. This all reminds me a bit of Neverwinter Nights for PC and I hope it gets some good community support.

2. I backed at the Core level ($99) but added the 'world events' deck and the 'Demons and Dark Artifacts' adventure/deck. I only chose add-ons that actually affected game play since it seemed like there was a bunch of extra stuff that looked cool but didn't add to the game play itself.

I'm not expecting an amazing innovative system. The rules are solid but don't seem to different from your average RPG rule set. I actually think that is why it won't be a failure. They aren't trying to do anything too new and creative so the risk that rules will be broken and unclear is pretty low I think and there is nothing in the rules I've read where I thought to myself, "really??". I backed because I feel like I know what I am getting. The final rules they released are in line with what I wanted out of the kick-starter.

Can't wait for this! I think it's going to be really great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken M
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
1. My core gaming group meets monthly, so my hope is that this game gives us a taste of D&D but in bite-sized sessions.

I was a late pledge, and what finally sold me were the show and tell updates from Stephen Gibson. The upgraded artwork and layouts were a huge improvement that will help with immersion (as well as that ridiculously awesome over-sized map).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gbg/folklore-the-afflic...

2. All in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All in plus 5 mystery boxes

Backed because it looks awesome.

Very surprised at the low level of hype- but don't really care how popular it is, as long as it is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian short
United Kingdom
Newcastle
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This was my first Kickstarter and I went all in. I've backed many others since then and most have already delivered.

I have this war of mine and massive darkness due to arrive soon so folklore will be fighting for playtime.

I'm really excited for folklore, seems like everything I want in a board game. I am a bit nervous, the minis shown in the KS were not those in the game, the artwork has been completely redone, the "mystery" of the boxes is annoying, there is still no news on the novels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a late backer.

I've been a bit nervous about this one. I like dice but this looked to be a lotta dice rolls with little mitigation.

I backed it because I loved the theme. I love the idea that if you die you become a ghost and can still contribute. The ghost form is in Sword and Sorcery but I will admit, it's handled very underwhelming there.

After seeing the latest demo video, I'm more confident that this will work well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan
mbmbmbmbmb
Initially I pledged for everything because I was majorly impressed by the great artwork and beautiful minis.

But then when I looked at the encounter part of the gameplay (where the action happens) I started to have some serious doubts. The d100 mechanic is a very linear one and also very much luck dependent. A few bad rolls can truely ruin your adventure. They should have taken some multiple dice mechanic which has far more reliable outcomes.

I may (and even hope to) be proven wrong - but I wouldn't bet on it that this game's final reviews will put it anywhere in the category best boardgame RPG's ..

So in the end I pledged for just the minis box plus the Giant Oak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teowulff wrote:
Initially I pledged for everything because I was majorly impressed by the great artwork and beautiful minis.

But then when I looked at the encounter part of the gameplay (where the action happens) I started to have some serious doubts. The d100 mechanic is a very linear one and also very much luck dependent. A few bad rolls can truely ruin your adventure. They should have taken some multiple dice mechanic which has far more reliable outcomes.

I may (and even hope to) be proven wrong - but I wouldn't bet on it that this game's final reviews will put it anywhere in the category best boardgame RPG's ..

So in the end I pledged for just the minis box plus the Giant Oak.

I feel I know exactly where you are coming from.

D100 is a workhorse mechanic. It works. It is not flashy. I have used it a lot through the Warhammer RPG and it does get the job done. It is also very clear.

There are ways to mitigate the simplistic d100 (Unknown Armies RPG allows you at times to reserve the dice, so a 71 can become a 17, for example). Any sort of mitigation is often built into the skills/gear which is rarely immediatley obvious to us players at this time. This game could work well, but we won't know yet until we see the game.

Time will tell whether this game works or not. If your characters have 30-40% chance to succeed on everything and you spend more time "swinging and missing" than progressing the fights, then this game will be hot garbage and sold from my collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy A
msg tools
Thanks for all the replies guys! I can't wait for the game to get here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.