I am the walrus
badge
checkpoint
mbmbmbmbmb
If Historical Drivers make bids according to these formulas
(Track Value) + (d6/2)
(Track Value) + laps + (d6/2)
2(Track Value) + (d6/2)
these formulas determine the bid and these drivers pay the normal cost for the bid (1 bidding point for 1 wear/2 skill) like a human driver.

But I am not sure if I understand the rule, if the bidding is done like this:
Bid: d6, pay 1-3=0; 4-5=1 wear; 6= wear (laps)
Is the bid the rolled number (1-6) and the cost for the bid 0/1 wear/wear (laps)? If this is right bidding would be much cheaper for these Historical Drivers than for the Historical Drivers above or human drivers. But according to the BYO driver editor of the designer (http://lucidphoenix.com/sc/hist/byod.asp) all of these bidding alternatives would not cost any setup points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Stevenson
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rolled number in this case is just to determine which of the 3 bids is made. Drivers with this bidding formula do not care about pole, so they bid very little: either 0 wear, 1 wear or wear*laps. The dice roll simply determines which of these options is selected and does not alter the bid itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berthold Nüchter
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
I am the walrus
badge
checkpoint
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Schulz
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Berthold wrote:
...according to the BYO driver editor of the designer (http://lucidphoenix.com/sc/hist/byod.asp) all of these bidding alternatives would not cost any setup points.

Because the base pole bid should be self-balancing. If you give up more resources you get to start up front but lose those resources. So... the amount bid is not a competitive advantage as much as a reflection of that car's strategy. (Yes, I'm glossing over the fact that some tracks really encourage bigger bidding...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Vallentuna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

1. Regarding F.Alonso's Pole BID: 1-2 0, 3-4 1 (GS), 5-6 (GS) laps. Does this mean that he bids 0, 1 or #laps skill tokens, that is 0, 0.5 or laps x 0.5 points?

2. When paying for bids, HD's usually do it in the order GS, RS and W. Does this mean they spend ALL GS first if needed, then ALL RS and only W if there's still anything to pay for? The alternative would be to pay 1xGS, 1xRS, 1xW, 1xGS, 1xRS etc. The reason I ask is that it seems to be HD's very often use all their skill bidding and then end up not using the "push instructions" on Strategy Card very often.

Not that it's anything wrong with that if that's the case, just seems a bit odd to add more uniqueness to the HD's just to remove it before the race starts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Schulz
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Brastias wrote:

1. Regarding F.Alonso's Pole BID: 1-2 0, 3-4 1 (GS), 5-6 (GS) laps. Does this mean that he bids 0, 1 or #laps skill tokens, that is 0, 0.5 or laps x 0.5 points?

It means laps * green skill. So in a 3-lap race it would be a 1.5 bid costing him 3 green skill chips... I actually changed that notation for clarification in any new historical drivers coming out.

Brastias wrote:

2. When paying for bids, HD's usually do it in the order GS, RS and W. Does this mean they spend ALL GS first if needed, then ALL RS and only W if there's still anything to pay for? The alternative would be to pay 1xGS, 1xRS, 1xW, 1xGS, 1xRS etc. The reason I ask is that it seems to be HD's very often use all their skill bidding and then end up not using the "push instructions" on Strategy Card very often.

Not that it's anything wrong with that if that's the case, just seems a bit odd to add more uniqueness to the HD's just to remove it before the race starts.

Your first assumption is correct. However, there are some HDs that mix it up by holding back some skill (ie green skill - laps or -1 or -2).

Bids in general are something I have reconfigured a little bit so that future bids and payments are a little more natural. Right now they can over bid to the point of being impossible to beat and run through a lot if not all their skill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.