8 Posts

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Rules

Subject: When to draw from Reward Deck rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R S
msg tools
mbmb
So, by reading the rules from the Incursion expansion, it seems that one can only draw from the reward deck when receiving defensive rewards for allying with the defense. But I've seen people talking and teaching the game as if you can draw from the reward deck everytime you are entitled to rewards (from flares or alien powers)

Which is the correct way? should you always have the option to draw from the reward deck when getting rewards?? Thx!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
Typically, you are only able to access them by gaining defensive rewards, but any effect that gives "rewards" means you can draw from that deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When Cosmic Incursion was new, not many effects let you gain defender rewards. Allying as the defense was by far the most common way.

With each subsequent expansion, and particularly with Cosmic Dominion and Cosmic Eons, more aliens and more flares offered defender rewards. So now, there are quite a few ways to get them. Since lucre has not yet made it back to the game, the desire for some kind of "currency" has made the defender reward the default way of giving a player a little something in exchange for doing what the designers want them to do...I mean, something instead of a bland bonus to encounter totals or a plain old draw from the cosmic deck.

So there's definitely been a shift in tone over the last few years in the way that player discuss rewards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R S
msg tools
mbmb
Wait, the thing is, I always thought that rewards and defender rewards were 2 separate concepts. Both of them would let you draw from the cosmic deck and/or get your ships from the warp, but regular rewards are gained from several sources (like alien powers or flares) and defender rewards were only received when allying with the defense (unless something specifically gave DEFENDER rewards). With the addition of the reward deck, there would be a further differentiation of the two kinds of rewards: with DEFENDER rewards granting you access to the rewards deck and normal rewards just granting normal access to the cosmic deck (therefore giving more incentives for allying with the defense).

So, by the way you're talking, are you insinuating that both rewards types are actually the same thing?? That would simplify things a lot and make me feel kind of stupid but also glad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryucoo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We have always taken "rewards" to just be short-hand for "defender rewards". Since a lot of flares and powers let you draw from the rewards deck, it has made sense to evolve the language to "rewards", as the powers/flares that grant rewards aren't necessarily anything to do with the defence.

So yeah, think of it that there is a rewards deck, and you can access it in a variety of ways, one being "defender" rewards, for allying with the defence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryucoo wrote:
We have always taken "rewards" to just be short-hand for "defender rewards".

This is exactly the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
BlingEgg wrote:
Wait, the thing is, I always thought that rewards and defender rewards were 2 separate concepts.

An understandable conclusion for you to have drawn, given the game's editorial deficiencies. (Sadly, even when editors have worked hard to eliminate mistakes, the publisher has often worked even harder to put them back in — so unfortunately this problem is rather institutionalized.)

Back on topic, FFG has used at least four different terms for this one concept:
• rewards
• defensive rewards
• defender rewards
• defensive ally rewards

The latter three, of course, are inappropriate given the fact that there are lots of different ways to earn rewards. If you like, you can read a little more on the Cosmodex under the heading "rewards bug." Or, you can just move on to something more productive and try not to become a worn out, bitter old curmudgeon like me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Clarke
United Kingdom
Nantwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill Martinson wrote:
try not to become a worn out, bitter old curmudgeon like me.

Ha! Curmudgeon or not (I refuse to be drawn), you ought to be made president of your country for your services to Cosmic Encounter. Stranger things have happened...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.