• [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

MGK, I'm curious: what criteria do you use to conclude that the NRA are fascists? Would you care to expound this notion. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:
MGK, I'm curious: what criteria do you use to conclude that the NRA are fascists? Would you care to expound this notion. Thanks.

That video he posted is very clearly fascist in nature so I'm a bit confused as to why you are asking the question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
sfox wrote:
isaacc wrote:

That video he posted is very clearly fascist in nature so I'm a bit confused as to why you are asking the question.

Indeed - I felt for a moment that I was watching The Man In The High Castle again...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmb
I say, what's with the lack of capital letters at the beginning of sentences these days? Did I miss a thread where you decided this would be a new thing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Promise me there won't be any squares at my funeral
mbmbmbmbmb
Neighbourhood kids stole his shift key.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:

it's obviously nationalistic in nature - regardless of the fact that it's an American declaiming other Americans, the number of accusatory "theys" should be your big tipoff

it exhorts the audience to exercise violence and justifies the use of violence by authorities, in both cases stating plainly that violence is necessary

that's what fascism is at its core: authoritarian nationalism combined with the forcible/violent suppression of opposition, usually with a side order of othering in the bargain; this is really fascism 101 here, and very little in that speech would have been out of place in a speech written by Goebbels
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:
I say, what's with the lack of capital letters at the beginning of sentences these days? Did I miss a thread where you decided this would be a new thing?

i decided RSP wasn't worth the bother of such formality some time ago and I am as a general rule proved correct
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
mightygodking wrote:
the number of accusatory "theys" should be your big tipoff

"The clenched fist of truth" is another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic Lineal
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mb
The "Frank Miller's Batman" strain of neo-fascist imagery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup - had fascist written all over it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That video was all but begging Americans to get their guns ready for the coming revolution !

Sadly, many people probably already are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll admit that I have probably lived outside the United States for more years, relative to my age, than most Americans.

However, I have spent many decades of my life in the United States, before & during the Vietnam War and the riots of the 60's; in the 80's; parts of the 90's; the 00's & the teens. And that montage of pictures shown in this video looks like some science fictiony - distopian -lost-in-chaos sort of place, not the America in which I have been living.

So where is this place that's so disfunctional that it needs its righteous citizens to arm themselves to clean it up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So where is this place that's so disfunctional that it needs its righteous citizens to arm themselves to clean it up?

Mostly in the minds of FOX News addicts and the the head of the NRA leaders !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:

The video may have fascist written all over it, but to actually call the NRA fascists is beyond stupid (not calling you stupid, I'm just saying the idea is).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bob_santafe wrote:
I'll admit that I have probably lived outside the United States for more years, relative to my age, than most Americans.

However, I have spent many decades of my life in the United States, before & during the Vietnam War and the riots of the 60's; in the 80's; parts of the 90's; the 00's & the teens. And that montage of pictures shown in this video looks like some science fictiony - distopian -lost-in-chaos sort of place, not the America in which I have been living.

If I had to take a guess I would guess places like Detroit and maybe some rough border towns? Not that I agree with the video at all though..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
I just wish rightwing partisans would get their narratives straight. I mean, are "the liberals" just a bunch of basement-dwelling pantywaist snowflake pussy-boys insistent on taking offense at every turn & ultimately retreating to videogames and safe-spaces? Or are "the liberals" a powerful & dangerous conglomeration of deep-state operatives working in tandem with "the mainstream media" to incite violence in order to de-legitimize a duly-elected sacrosanct representative of the people?

Powerless pussy-boys, or all-powerful domination machine?
Pick one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
To most of them the response to your question would be.
"Yes they are."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rost
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
I just wish rightwing partisans would get their narratives straight. I mean, are "the liberals" just a bunch of basement-dwelling pantywaist snowflake pussy-boys insistent on taking offense at every turn & ultimately retreating to videogames and safe-spaces? Or are "the liberals" a powerful & dangerous conglomeration of deep-state operatives working in tandem with "the mainstream media" to incite violence in order to de-legitimize a duly-elected sacrosanct representative of the people?

Pick one.

Couldn't it be both.

Like, when I would listen to Hannity some 10 years ago (see Tripp Postulate) it seemed that he imagined that the powerful oligarchs pretended to liberalism by paying lip service to the pantywaist concerns of the people, all the while enacting policies to expand their own power.

Tripp Postulate - Rightwing media is consumed largely by pantywaist liberals for the lulz, and as such it is mostly theater.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:

Pick one.

They're both. That's what makes them so dangerous. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KrazyIrish89 wrote:
The video may have fascist written all over it, but to actually call the NRA fascists is beyond stupid (not calling you stupid, I'm just saying the idea is).

1.) "okay sure this official video the NRA put out sure SOUNDS fascist but really they aren't" is a great argument you have there

2.) the NRA are, and always have been, a tool of protecting white supremacy by doing their best to maintain a culture where white people are allowed to own and operate guns with as little consequence as possible while quietly "failing" to provide that same level of insouciance to black people; their resistance to the concept of governance and anti-government rhetoric only really began when it began trying to ensure equality for black people; they opposed open carry when it was the Black Panthers open carrying, and it's not a coincidence that they have failed to put out any statement in the wake of the death of Philando Castile
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Mostly made up of spare parts and sarcasm! ... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmb
"So where is this place that's so disfunctional that it needs its righteous citizens to arm themselves to clean it up?".

Washington DC. That swamp isn't draining itself you know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
aiabx wrote:
They're both. That's what makes them so dangerous. goo
So that makes them... pantywaist pussy-domination machines?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
KrazyIrish89 wrote:

1.) "okay sure this official video the NRA put out sure SOUNDS fascist but really they aren't" is a great argument you have there

2.) the NRA are, and always have been, a tool of protecting white supremacy by doing their best to maintain a culture where white people are allowed to own and operate guns with as little consequence as possible while quietly "failing" to provide that same level of insouciance to black people; their resistance to the concept of governance and anti-government rhetoric only really began when it began trying to ensure equality for black people; they opposed open carry when it was the Black Panthers open carrying, and it's not a coincidence that they have failed to put out any statement in the wake of the death of Philando Castile

Or, you know, they might have a long history of being pro-law enforcement, explaining why they have failed to take a strong stance here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
Neighbourhood kids stole his shift key.

GET OFF MY KEYBOARD!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.