Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Abromaitis
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just in case you have listened through the backlog of I've Been Diced, Already sampled the latest Two Half Squads on your way to work this morning, and drank too much listening to Advance After Combat last night...

Myself and
Michael Gower
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
have created our very own podcast. Have a listen, send us an email at RallyintheValley@gmail.com, and I hope you enjoy it!

Find us at https://rallyinthevalley.podbean.com/

We talk about a whole host of wargames and occasionally delve into an RPG or *gasp* even a euro!

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And you ALREADY have three shows out! Good luck! I'll be listening to them this afternoon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Abromaitis
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
swandive78 wrote:
And you ALREADY have three shows out! Good luck! I'll be listening to them this afternoon!

We wanted to have a few before we went live! Episode 4 is out next week!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
That's a Palm Pilot on the left, and a pink iPod mini on the right. Yes, I've been doing BGTG that long!
badge
http://www.WargamesToGo.com
mbmbmb
Awesome. Downloading now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it on iTunes ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Abromaitis
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marty S wrote:
Is it on iTunes ?

It is! I should have mentioned so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Abromaitis
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkEJohnson wrote:
Awesome. Downloading now...

Thanks, Mark! The Wargames to Go stuff has been quite excellent on my commutes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely enjoying Rally in the Valley. Like the fact you keep the length down to something reasonable. My wife occasionally comments about my marathon "wargame radio" sessions and she won't have reason to regarding your podcast.

Thanks for joining the fray and I look forward to future episodes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Apex
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More episodes!!!!

This is excellent and I like the diversity of topics. Well done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Abromaitis
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, guys! Episodes 4 and 5 are now recorded... but we're going to ration them out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Holt
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished episode 1, and liked it a lot. I echo the recommendations for the EAA museum. It's spectacular. I live in Eau Claire, not that far from Oshkosh, and I've been to it a couple of times. in fact, I'll be there in two weeks (Oshkosh) and hope to get another visit in to the museum.

One "request", though, is maybe leave the alcohol bits and references out of the podcast. Not everyone appreciates that, and if I'm trying to get a younger friend or child into the hobby, I really don't need them hearing about how they have to have alcohol to have fun. There are other podcasts out there (and, yes, I'm looking at you "Advance After Combat" and "Three Moves Ahead") where not only is the podcast really about alcohol with, maybe, some war gaming thrown in, but they are vulgar about it as well. Gave up on both without ever getting through a complete episode. I'd rather not have to leave Rally, there are so few war game podcasts, and I really think you guys did a great job.

Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Abromaitis
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tpholt wrote:
Just finished episode 1, and liked it a lot. I echo the recommendations for the EAA museum. It's spectacular. I live in Eau Claire, not that far from Oshkosh, and I've been to it a couple of times. in fact, I'll be there in two weeks (Oshkosh) and hope to get another visit in to the museum.

One "request", though, is maybe leave the alcohol bits and references out of the podcast. Not everyone appreciates that, and if I'm trying to get a younger friend or child into the hobby, I really don't need them hearing about how they have to have alcohol to have fun. There are other podcasts out there (and, yes, I'm looking at you "Advance After Combat" and "Three Moves Ahead") where not only is the podcast really about alcohol with, maybe, some war gaming thrown in, but they are vulgar about it as well. Gave up on both without ever getting through a complete episode. I'd rather not have to leave Rally, there are so few war game podcasts, and I really think you guys did a great job.

Tony

Hey Tony, thanks a bunch for listening and posting some feedback!

As far as alcohol goes... We certainly hope not to imply that alcohol and wargaming go hand in hand. Or that if you're not having drinks with your gaming you'll have less fun. BUT I'd say in the evening when we play a game we do have a cocktail or two and we enjoy that. I think it'd be great to get younger people into the hobby and we'd love to organize some open game days soon, but it's quite possible that RitV might be a PG-13 kind of podcast. It will vary of course. We certainly aren't Advance After Combat, but we aren't The Dice Tower podcast either. We're just two dudes that like to talk about games!

In episode 5, which will come out in a few weeks, we drink a couple of strawberry banana smoothies while recording and it's possible there isn't an alcohol reference at all. Like I said. it'll vary!

We appreciate the feedback and hope you keep listening in the future even if you skip over the bits where Michael talks about a cocktail recipe!

- Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gower
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TomAbromaitis wrote:
tpholt wrote:

Tony

Hey Tony, thanks a bunch for listening and posting some feedback!

As far as alcohol goes... We certainly hope not to imply that alcohol and wargaming go hand in hand. Or that if you're not having drinks with your gaming you'll have less fun. BUT I'd say in the evening when we play a game we do have a cocktail or two and we enjoy that. I think it'd be great to get younger people into the hobby and we'd love to organize some open game days soon, but it's quite possible that RitV might be a PG-13 kind of podcast. It will vary of course. We certainly aren't Advance After Combat, but we aren't The Dice Tower podcast either. We're just two dudes that like to talk about games!

In episode 5, which will come out in a few weeks, we drink a couple of strawberry banana smoothies while recording and it's possible there isn't an alcohol reference at all. Like I said. it'll vary!

We appreciate the feedback and hope you keep listening in the future even if you skip over the bits where Michael talks about a cocktail recipe!

- Tom

PG-13 seems about right. I appreciate the feedback though Tony and I'll definitely think about it. We are all about young folks getting into the hobby, being younger gents ourselves (25). In fact, part of our motivation was to inject some young blood in the podcast realm! In any case, I'll think about maybe altering our alcohol related content. If it makes you feel better, Tom and I really aren't heavy drinkers at all as much as people who enjoy drinks. I didn't even have alcohol till I was older than 21 (I'm Minnesotan, not a Wisconsinite)! Enough rambling though, I hope you continue to enjoy the 'cast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Holt
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys,

Thanks for the replies. While I might be the only person in Wisconsin that doesn't drink, it doesn't bother me that others do. If that's what you like, cool.

I'm around high school aged kids on a daily basis, and the struggle to combat (pun intended ) the messages they receive that you have to have alcohol to have fun is a real issue, so maybe I'm just a little hyper sensitive to it when alcohol and other forms of entertainment are mixed. Go ahead and enjoy, and in the end, it's your podcast. As long as you don't get crude and vulgar (<ahem> Advance After Combat) you'll keep me around.

Tony

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gower
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tpholt wrote:
Guys,

Thanks for the replies. While I might be the only person in Wisconsin that doesn't drink, it doesn't bother me that others do. If that's what you like, cool.

I'm around high school aged kids on a daily basis, and the struggle to combat (pun intended ) the messages they receive that you have to have alcohol to have fun is a real issue, so maybe I'm just a little hyper sensitive to it when alcohol and other forms of entertainment are mixed. Go ahead and enjoy, and in the end, it's your podcast. As long as you don't get crude and vulgar (<ahem> Advance After Combat) you'll keep me around.

Tony

I hear ya Tony. As someone who didn't drink in high school and university, I totally understand what you are saying. And, while people drink everywhere, of all the places I've lived good ole WI has a different drinking culture. But! Glad to hear you enjoy the podcast and thanks for your kind words, support, and all your comments! Tom and I have talked about doing one for a long time and its awesome to have people sharing the experience with us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haight
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
He caught it! He caught it!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to put in a word for not bowdlerizing your podcast. I have been enjoying the wargame content in your first episode, so far, and got a little extra pleasure when you mentioned you were drinking sidecars. As a wargamer who also enjoys classic cocktails and other adult beverages in moderation, I was pleased to find a couple of fellow travelers and look forward to your further discussion of both topics.

Alcohol abuse is a serious issue, no question, and most of us, myself included, know family members or close acquaintances who have had real struggles with the stuff. However, the vast majority of who do drink, drink responsibly and I think it's important to model that responsible behavior for youth, so that kids aren't under the impression that there are only two options: being a teetotaler or being a drunk. And by including that in your podcast you are contributing to a world in which having a drink is neither required nor forbidden or a cause for alarm, but is instead just another option for those adults who want to choose it. To discuss it is not necessarily to sensationalize it and I don't think you guys are sensationalizing it at all.

So, please keep up the good work and here's a toast to your continued efforts! Thanks!

PS, I strongly recommend the Corpse Reviver. It's positively civilizing after a hot, sweaty day of working out in the yard.

For the uninitiated:
3/4 oz gin
3/4 oz Lillet blanc
3/4 oz triple sec (Cointreau preferred)
3/4 oz lemon juice
dash absinthe
Shaken with ice and strained into a cocktail glass.

It absolutely lives up to its name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Abromaitis
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smade wrote:
I'd like to put in a word for not bowdlerizing your podcast. I have been enjoying the wargame content in your first episode, so far, and got a little extra pleasure when you mentioned you were drinking sidecars. As a wargamer who also enjoys classic cocktails and other adult beverages in moderation, I was pleased to find a couple of fellow travelers and look forward to your further discussion of both topics.

Alcohol abuse is a serious issue, no question, and most of us, myself included, know family members or close acquaintances who have had real struggles with the stuff. However, the vast majority of who do drink, drink responsibly and I think it's important to model that responsible behavior for youth, so that kids aren't under the impression that there are only two options: being a teetotaler or being a drunk. And by including that in your podcast you are contributing to a world in which having a drink is neither required nor forbidden or a cause for alarm, but is instead just another option for those adults who want to choose it. To discuss it is not necessarily to sensationalize it and I don't think you guys are sensationalizing it at all.

So, please keep up the good work and here's a toast to your continued efforts! Thanks!

PS, I strongly recommend the Corpse Reviver. It's positively civilizing after a hot, sweaty day of working out in the yard.

For the uninitiated:
3/4 oz gin
3/4 oz Lillet blanc
3/4 oz triple sec (Cointreau preferred)
3/4 oz lemon juice
dash absinthe
Shaken with ice and strained into a cocktail glass.

It absolutely lives up to its name.

This was an excellent post and you put my thoughts about the whole thing in far better words than I could have. So... thanks! I'm very glad you've enjoyed the 'cast so far.

Cheers and thanks for the cocktail recipe!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TomAbromaitis wrote:

Gentlemen,

I'm glad you appreciate feedback. Given the current crisis of diabetes and outrageously high blood sugar that is devastating our great nation, I would appreciate it if you guys could issue a one minute warning before you drink the strawberry banana smoothies so I can skip over that section. Please follow my suggestion to change or I will stop listening.

Sincerely,
Your biggest fan (if you listen to me)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have listened to the first couple of episodes and it is really well done. The other high quality podcasts don't publish very often so it is a nice addition. Thanks for the effort!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First two episodes down on my commute home tonight, nice job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Abromaitis
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boyinblue1 wrote:
TomAbromaitis wrote:

Gentlemen,

I'm glad you appreciate feedback. Given the current crisis of diabetes and outrageously high blood sugar that is devastating our great nation, I would appreciate it if you guys could issue a one minute warning before you drink the strawberry banana smoothies so I can skip over that section. Please follow my suggestion to change or I will stop listening.

Sincerely,
Your biggest fan (if you listen to me)

We tried. You won't be able to hear it over the blender and the odd slurping noises of the smoothies in question.

They were good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gower
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To those curious and haven't followed or subscribed to the podcast, we launched our first ever special today! The Rally in the Valley 4th of July Special is now live on wherever you get your podcasts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Abromaitis
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New episode is out at midnight. Should be ready to go for your Monday morning commute!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Holt
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys,

I've had some problems listening to episodes 2 and 3. First, they both show as clocking in at over 3 hours in my podcast player, and forwarding or rewinding does not work. Nor does pausing, exactly. When paused, other podcasts will replay the last 5 or so seconds of the podcast when restarting, but with these two episodes, it jumped back like 10 minutes or more.

It may be just my app (Podcast Addict) or my phone, but no other podcasts have these issues. I have not yet downloaded 4 and 5 (although in the listing, their times look normal).

Did you guys have some issues with 2 and 3, or do I need to start looking harder at my app/device?

Thanks,

Tony

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Abromaitis
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Tony,

I noticed the same with episode 4 but then fixed. I think it has something to do with variable bit rate encoding. Although a nice thing to have particularly for talk shows, some of the players seem to have trouble with the variable bit rate files. I'll re export the earlier episodes without the variable bit rate and re upload. Should fix it!

Thanks for letting us know. I do believe however if you download any of the episodes it SHOULD be correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.