Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Hero: SBN (with printable cards and art) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ted Pro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
(Printable file: SBN.pdf)



SBN (Sentient Binary Node)
HP: 16
Decrement
Power: Destroy up to 4 Voidbits. SBN deals X targets X energy damage, where X is the number of cards destroyed this way.

Incapacitated
- If the hero character with the lowest HP has 16 HP or less, flip SBN's character card and restore it to that many HP, then draw one card.
- The hero character with the lowest HP regains 3 HP.
- Destroy one Ongoing card.

Ongoing, Voidbit (x16)
--------

Iteration Node (x16)
When this card enters play, SBN either regains 1 HP or deals 1 target 2 radiant damage.
At the start of your turn, you may discard a card. If you do not, SBN deals itself and one other target 1 lightning damage.
Power: One player draws a card. One player plays a card.

Revisions:
- Changed second Incap ability from "One player may search their deck for a card, put it into play, and shuffle their hand into their deck" to "The hero character with the lowest HP regains 3 HP." Thanks FaceOnToast!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Pro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I really enjoyed the concept of Phantaskippy's Gnat, and wanted to play with similar concepts and take the simplicity a little further.

This is a hero deck with all the hero cards exactly identical. I've worked on making it so that despite that, there are interesting decisions and gameplay. You're managing three separate resources (cards in hand, cards on the table, and HP) and can burn them in balance for various effects -- store up for a big attack but take damage, die but get some abilities and come back, or just go for consistent damage and buff other players.

SBN's Incapacitated abilities are quite strong, including the ability to come back again (but matching the lowest HP of another hero, so he still gets weakened as the other PCs do.) It's a virtual entity, so it can die and come back again freely. (I am pretty sure this won't break anything, and in playtest, it hasn't seemed too imbalanced.) I also used the Incapacitated side as a way to get some more decision space into the deck.

Themewise, he's a virtual entity manifested in physical form, in love with the world and curious and philosophical by turns. The name is a reference to an old Computer Science term with a similar theme.

I figured I'd save myself some printing costs by only doing 16 cards. Also powers of two are kind of a theme for the deck so it works out.

Comments and thoughts welcome!

(Although, if your comment is that I shouldn't be trying to make a deck with all identical cards, too late! )
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Pro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
(This is also my first deck using original art. I'm still very much learning how to use Adobe Illustrator!)

This went through a few iterations for something that was fun and balanced in playtest.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus Butler
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hateful Darkblack wrote:
(Printable file: SBN.pdf)



Ohh pretty, nice job sir.

Quote:
SBN (Sentient Binary Node)
HP: 16
Decrement
Power: Destroy up to 4 Voidbits. SBN deals X targets X energy damage, where X is the number of cards destroyed this way.

Incapacitated
- If the hero character with the lowest HP has 16 HP or less, flip SBN's character card and restore it to that many HP, then draw one card.
- One player may search their deck for a card, put it into play, and shuffle their hand into their deck.
- Destroy one Ongoing card.

Iteration Node (x16) Ongoing, Voidbit
When this card enters play, SBN either regains 1 HP or deals 1 target 2 radiant damage.
At the start of your turn, you may discard a card. If you do not, SBN deals itself and one other target 1 lightning damage.
Power: One player draws a card. One player plays a card.


I’m going to do this all in one.
It’s a nice idea but there is an absolute best thing you can do for the team each turn and that’s use the second incap power so someone else can play the very best card from their deck at the cost of their play phase, unless someone else can make them draw a card before then (putting his seating position either first or last).
Honestly it’s not a fun thing to do more than occasionally when you have limited brain matter and want to get someone else to do the think/play for you.

Also your reasoning and theme for only 16 cards in the deck is sound but there’s no example of a non-40 card hero deck in the game, also also there’s probably never going to be a reason to have more than 16 cards as you rapidly try to kill yourself to get the best out of your deck.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Pro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Faceontoast wrote:
I’m going to do this all in one.
It’s a nice idea but there is an absolute best thing you can do for the team each turn and that’s use the second incap power so someone else can play the very best card from their deck at the cost of their play phase, unless someone else can make them draw a card before then (putting his seating position either first or last).
Honestly it’s not a fun thing to do more than occasionally when you have limited brain matter and want to get someone else to do the think/play for you.


Thanks so much for taking a look!

Good point. I think that's a good reason to ditch that second Incap power completely and replace it with something else. Any suggestions for another one? I'm hoping for something that's good enough to be worth dying and coming back for sometimes, but not so good that there's never a better choice.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus Butler
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmb
The hero with the lowest HP regains 2HP ?

also helps you get back into play with better HP but you can't overuse it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Pro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Faceontoast wrote:
The hero with the lowest HP regains 2HP ?

also helps you get back into play with better HP but you can't overuse it.


Updated! I raised it to 3 HP instead, which I think won't break anything.

PDF updated.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm honestly impressed, for all that I'm trying really hard to wrap my head around "just 16 cards in the deck". Like, trying to figure out a way that might cause problems, but since I can't, I dunno.

Though it's worth saying Super-Scientific Tachyon can supercharge this little booger no sweat. >.>

EDIT: Oh, and you're missing one thing in that PDF: a card back!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Pro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
TakeWalker wrote:
I'm honestly impressed, for all that I'm trying really hard to wrap my head around "just 16 cards in the deck". Like, trying to figure out a way that might cause problems, but since I can't, I dunno.


Thanks!

The 16 card thing doesn't seem to affect much. I did 40 cards in the first few versions and found that it was mostly a waste of printing for the deck.

Quote:
Though it's worth saying Super-Scientific Tachyon can supercharge this little booger no sweat. >.>


Oh, very true! SBN will end up burning through a lot of cards or taking a lot of damage from this (since it burns a card and takes a damage and deals a damage for each Voidbit in play at the start of its turn) but the rampup goes a lot more quickly.

Quote:
EDIT: Oh, and you're missing one thing in that PDF: a card back!


Very true! I kinda need to think about whether I want to have a unified card back and call Plummet a series.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.