Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm having trouble with the timing of Ravenous Flames and resolving conditions in general.

Ravenous Flames says from your Hero Area as a range two Reflex: "Whenever you resolve any Conditions, each burning resolves twice. Focus one for each burning resolved. Place this card on top of your deck."

Do you:

(1) Resolve all burning conditions in play once, then resolve all of them again. Gain focus. Place RF on top of deck.

(2) Choose a Hero, Ally, or Enemy and resolve its burning conditions twice before moving on to another Hero, Ally, or Enemy. After all burning conditions have been resolved twice, gain focus. Place RF on top of deck.

(3) Choose a Hero, Ally, or Enemy and resolve its burning conditions twice. Gain focus. Place RF on the top of deck. All other burning conditions will only resolve once.

(4) Other?

This makes a huge difference with an enemy like Kesrah the Dreaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kubigaruma wrote:

I'm having trouble with the timing of Ravenous Flames and resolving conditions in general.

Ravenous Flames says from your Hero Area as a range two Reflex: "Whenever you resolve any Conditions, each burning resolves twice. Focus one for each burning resolved. Place this card on top of your deck."

Do you:

(1) Resolve all burning conditions in play once, then resolve all of them again. Gain focus. Place RF on top of deck.

(2) Choose a Hero, Ally, or Enemy and resolve its burning conditions twice before moving on to another Hero, Ally, or Enemy. After all burning conditions have been resolved twice, gain focus. Place RF on top of deck.

(3) Choose a Hero, Ally, or Enemy and resolve its burning conditions twice. Gain focus. Place RF on the top of deck. All other burning conditions will only resolve once.

(4) Other?

This makes a huge difference with an enemy like Kesrah the Dreaming.

Rules Page 16 and glossary Page 20 wrote:

Resolving Conditions

After you have activated all Enemies in all Hero Areas , resolve all Condition tokens on all Enemies, Allies, and Heroes. Resolve the effect of each Condition token once. Then remove any 1 Condition token of your choice from that card or Hero Charter.

Condition Tokens

Each Condition token has its own effect, which targets a Hero (when on a Hero Charter), an Enemy, or an Ally (when on an Enemy or Ally card). Conditions are resolved at the end of the Defence Phase. For a complete list of Condition effects, go to page 16.

So in order of players choice for each Hero, Ally or Enemy resolve the conditions and then remove one.

It is ambiguous , I believe (1) is correct. b]all[/b] means any burning condition on any enemy, hero or ally within range 2 (as range is always to the effect and in this case it is the condition ) is resolved again at the cost of 1 focus.

The ambiguity is that it implies you spend a focus for each burning condition , it should read for each additional burning condition.

In play I would resolve all conditions on all Heroes and Allies and then play the reflex.

Note:- it can be used with Conflagration to devastating effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Probably 2 and not 1. Making 2 separate passes through the condition resolve "phase" doesn't really seem in keeping with "resolve twice".

Definitely not 3, that would not be "each burning condition" (in play) but some burning conditions (on one target), absolutely not supported by the text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. G. Kubacki
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The (1) is correct.

To explain it a little more in-depth: each Condition can only appear once on a character (Hero, Ally or Enemy), regardless of how many tokens are physically present. So, when you resolve a Burning Condition represented by 3 tokens, you simply deal 3 damage, and then discard 1 token. If you have to resolve it again, you then deal 2 damage, and discard another 1 token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Oh interesting, so things actually burn out faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So each burning token does not resolve twice, it is the resolution of the burning condition that resolves twice.

That means that each character, ally, or enemy with exactly one burning token will be completely unaffected by Ravenous Flames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Kubigaruma wrote:
That means that each character, ally, or enemy with exactly one burning token will be completely unaffected by Ravenous Flames.

Well, we're talking about Sigraed here, so it's reasonably unlikely that anyone will have only 1 token. arrrh

(Getting folks she wants to spare down to 1 via token move shenanigans does seem helpful though then, yes)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weltenreiter wrote:
(Getting folks she wants to spare down to 1 via token move shenanigans does seem helpful though then, yes)

Agreed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
luca liperi
Italy
Cernusco Sul Naviglio
Milano
flag msg tools
Hello, i have a doubt about condition. It is maybe a stupid question but.. Anyway =)

Do ongoing conditions (daze snd weakness) activate as soon as they are placed on hero/enemy/ally or they activate during Resolving Conditions step so i will apply their effects starting from next turn?

Or, simply:

If i place a daze token on 1 enemy card in my hero phase.. It will do 1 less damage in the subsequent defence phase? I think yes.

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Those "ongoing" effects apply as soon as the token is on, yes.
"Resolving" them at the end of defense phase just "ticks down their timer" (or entirely removes them if only 1 token), so to speak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
luca liperi
Italy
Cernusco Sul Naviglio
Milano
flag msg tools
Thank you!

L

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.