Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Morocco
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologizes! hope this is the last question...

I understand now how to purchase Influence cards.

1. Each Influence cards is organized into respective pile by cost 2,3,4
- Red (military)
- Blue (Senate)
- Yellow (Populace)

These are the paid for with Political points.
These Influence cards may be purchased by any player on their turn provided they meet the conditions (card cost)

I don't play deck building games so want to make sure I'm understanding the game mechanics properly.

True statement? Influence cards can thus exist in the following states:

1. Available to buy pile "new Supply pile" (by any player) beside gameboard (sorted by name, face up)
2. Available to use from "Discard" pile on player mat (already purchased)
3. Permanently removed cards (either trashed or removed like 1-point cards)

Question: When do you put Influence cards in the "Available Pile" on the Player mat?

1. You buy the card from the New Supply pile during Buy/Trash Card Phase
2. Rule 5.3 says "Newly-purchased cards are placed in your Discard Pile..."

Question: Do purchased Influence cards go automatically from Discard pile to your Available 'play card' hand then at the beginning of your next turn?

None of the Examples of play show images of where the Influence cards are on the players game mat, nor to they show 2 consecutive turns.

Meaning:

Green Player Turn 1: Upkeep, Crisis, Take action, Support, etc. During the Buy/Trash Phase he legally buys a Blue 2 (Tribute) which goes into his Discard pile on Green Player game mat.

All other players perform phases of their turn.

Green Player Turn 2: Where does the Blue 2 (Tribute) Influence card go?

a. Use it straight from Discard Pile -or-
b. Move it to Available pile for use?

Again I'm really digging the design, graphics and game mechanisms but really fuzzy about how you create your card 'hand'. Not meant as criticism, my son & myself are jazzed to have a strategic level Roman game we can play! thumbsup

confused as usual in LA, Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Roig
Germany
Mainz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:

Question: When do you put Influence cards in the "Available Pile" on the Player mat?

6.8 Secretly select cards from your Available Pile to refill your
hand up to five cards. If you need to select a card and your
Available Pile is empty, place your Discard Pile face down
in your Available Pile
and continue selecting. Once you have
refilled your hand, the player to the left of you takes his turn.

Quote:
Question: Do purchased Influence cards go automatically from Discard pile to your Available 'play card' hand then at the beginning of your next turn?

Your Available Pile is refilled, only when it's empty.

So, I think that the root of your doubts was not knowing the part of "If you need to select a card and your
Available Pile is empty, place your Discard Pile face down
in your Available Pile
". Once this is clear, I think you are fine

BTW: I haven't recieved the game yet, I cannot wait!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carlos is right, but let me try to explain a bit more.

1) You start with three 1-pt cards of each color as your starting deck. These are placed on your Available space, and then you choose 5 of those cards for your starting hand.

2) The bit you're missing is that cards can exist in FIVE states: in the Supply (able to be purchased by any player), in a player's Available space (able to be selected to be placed into that player's hand), in a player's Hand (able to be used in that player's next turn), in a player's Discard space (NOT able to be selected for the player's hand until the Available pile is used up), and removed from game.

3) Cards that you use or discard during your turn are then placed into your Discard Pile at the end of your turn. So cards you've used can't be used again until you use up your whole deck.

4) At the end of your turn, when you purchase new cards, they also go into your Discard Pile. So purchased cards also can't be used until you've used up your deck.

5) Cards on your Available space are the only ones that are available to be selected to be placed into your hand at the end of your turn. If you use up your Available deck at this point, you just immediately flip your Discard Pile over into the Available space to re-form your deck. (No need to shuffle, because you always get to select the cards you want.)

6) So you are basically using all of the cards in your deck 5 at a time, moving them from your Available Pile, into your Hand, then into your Discard Pile. Purchased cards go straight into your Discard Pile (you don't get to use them right away). Then when your Available Pile is used up and all your cards are in your Discard Pile (or a couple left in your hand), your Discard Pile becomes your new Available Pile.

Make sense? I apologize for any lack of clarity in the rules -- we read them and re-read them many times, but it's deceptively easy to write them based on too many assumptions of "common knowledge".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Morocco
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi Brad!

Yes that makes total sense now.

I guess I was having issue conceptilizing the manner in which cards 'flow' but now I 'think' I've got it...

Look forward to playing again this week and (hopefully) future expansions in C3i!

cheers, Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Morocco
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I also totally missed the 5 card limit to your hand! zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.