Twilight Struggle» Forums » Variants

Subject: Bidding variants [polls] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on an idea from Paul Harding, some alternative bidding options, removing USSR cards from the deck instead of adding US influence.

So, assuming bidding for USSR, three ways to valuate the bids come to mind. Of the three, which do you prefer?

Poll: Three bidding variants
Starting with a standard + optional card deck, and bidding a number of USSR cards to remove from the deck to play as the USSR side.

Note that a majority of respondents (19/24) to my last poll felt that the US should still receive +1 or +2 influence even after removing Cambridge 5, Che, and Yuri & Samantha from the deck, so there seems to be some way to go to achieve a balanced card removal bid without any additional starting influence.
Which card bidding variant is best?
Bidding for a position on a list. As an example, a list of USSR cards to be removed from the game is agreed on, and you bid a card on that list. If you win the bid you play as the USSR, and remove that card and all cards before it in the list. (This allows for a spread of Early/Mid/Late war cards to be removed, and for players to have a simple representation of the value of their bid. On the other hand, a list is another component, and it's kind of awkward.)
Bidding a value. As an example, Early/Mid/Late War cards have different values, say 3/2/1, and you bid a number. If you win the bid you remove cards from the game equal to the value of your bid. (Value of decks is tricky to quantify, and could lead to inflated bids based on emptying the Late War deck in the hope of winning early.)
Bidding a number cards. As an example, you could bid two numbers: the first number is the number of Early War cards to remove from the game, and the second number is the number of Mid War cards to remove from the game. The highest bid of Early War cards wins, and the Mid War bid is used as a tiebreaker. If you win the bid you remove the number of Early and Mid War cards you bid. (Keeps things focused on Early/Mid, and requires no additional list or valuation, but requires a 2 or 3 number bid)
      5 answers
Poll created by Benkyo

The next couple of polls are for gauging how much people would bid for each of the bidding variants above.

EDIT: Please note that the third poll broke, ignore the matrix and answer the list!

Poll: How far down the list would you bid?
Based on this list I just threw together, how low would you go?
Please pick a card, and remember you are bidding to remove that card and all the cards above it from the game.
Cambridge 5
Che
Yuri & Samantha
Romanian Abdication
U2 Incident
Iran-Contra Scandal
Comecon
Willy Brandt
Latin America Debt Crisis
More? really?
      13 answers
Poll created by Benkyo

Poll
Assuming an entirely arbitrary valuation of 3/2/1 for Early/Mid/Late cards.
What value would you bid to play as USSR?
20+
      6 answers
Poll created by Benkyo

EDIT: Please note that the third poll broke, ignore the matrix and answer the list!
Poll
Assuming an Early War card bid, with a Mid War card bid used as a tie-breaker. Regardless of whether or not the tie-breaker is used, you remove all the cards you bid.
1. How many cards would you bid?
  Mid 0 Mid 1 Mid 2 Mid 3 Mid 4 Mid 5
Early 0
Early 1
Early 2
Early 3
Early 4?
Early 5??
2. How many cards would you bid? (Early/Mid)
1/0
1/1
1/2
1/3
1/4
2/0
2/1
2/2
2/3
2/4
3/0
3/1
3/2
3/3
3/4
4/0
4/1
4/2
4/3
4/4
      5 answers
Poll created by Benkyo

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, this seems way to complicated and difficult to evaluate that it's not worthwhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:
Honestly, this seems way to complicated and difficult to evaluate that it's not worthwhile.

Perfectly valid response, but hey, you don't have to vote.

I think if I were to give it try, I'd go for bidding cards, and maybe... a conservative 2/1.

Please note that I'm firmly in the "bidding influence works fine" camp, and I'm not super-stoked about an idea that I hope will overturn the way Twilight Struggle is played forever. I'm just floating ideas because I'm bored, and I think they might have some merit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Pollock
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:

Agree with this.

Plus as I said in the other thread, a far simpler solution is to simply add all the promos to the mix. Non-Aligned Movement helps with the reshuffle query and in my humble opinion you don't need to add any starting US influence, bid for sides, or remove cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DominiGeek
Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo
D.N.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The answer might lie closer than we think.

Just add BAGHDAD PACT and stop the bidding.

Sorry to highjack Benkyo, couldnĀ“t resist.

Regards,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rubendario5 wrote:
The answer might lie closer than we think.

Just add BAGHDAD PACT and stop the bidding.

Sorry to highjack Benkyo, couldnĀ“t resist.

Regards,

There have been quite a few discussions of additional/replacement cards, but if you are going down the road of deck manipulation, removing cards seems like a better option to me. Doesn't require making or buying any additional cards, and allows you to play with anyone's set (well, unless they have 1st edition or something). Also, on balance, I prefer my games to have a turn 7 reshuffle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
The advantage of US +2 is the well tested balance and a variety of interesting openings. So as the USSR for example I have recently couped Italy, couped Iran, couped Panama, spread from Vietnam, Decolonized on the headline, spread from Nasser, or even just placed some influence in Iraq and South Korea. I'd be interested to see whether shovelling in the promo cards would lead to balanced games at US +0 in competition. However on occasion I have felt like TS could do with a bit of variation in its deck/ starting set-up, so I am interested in modifying the Turn Zero tables so the results were a little less extreme than the 'Turn Yalta' problem noted by Sankt elsewhere. Removing cards would be one part of that, for example the UK table would likely involve C5, SR, Suez & Soc Gov.(Also I just love rolling dice on crazy tables!) Hard to make things as balanced as the current US +2 while offering more variation though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.