Subject: Mindthiefs Augment rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Trezise
United Kingdom
Rugby
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Mindthief has a few cards that he can play to augment himself to give his attacks muddle etc.

The card itself has an attack value on...

Can somebody please explain what you're supposed to do/effects when you initially play this card and then what happens in every round after until it is replaced?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Germany
flag msg tools
You can either use the action to just put down the augment or to just attack or to do both in order (ie if you choose to put down the augment, the attack has to be used with the new augment and cannot be used with an augment that was active before) . In any case you gain the given experience (even if you don't attack). If you put down the augment, an augment that's currently active is put in the discard pile (not lost!)

Once you put down the augment, all subsequent melee attacks will have the given bonus until the card is replaced or discarded. This is already true for the attack on the card itself if you choose to play it.

So for example if you have the "Shield +1" augment in your active area and use two melee attacks on your turn, you will have two additional shield points until the end of the round. Or with the healing augment, you get to heal two HP for each of your melee attacks. The "Attack +2" and "Add muddle and poison" add things to all melee attacks that you perform while the augment is active.

Does this make sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Wareing
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When you play any card, activate all the effects, in order, from top to bottom on whichever half of the card your using. All positive effects are optional, but negative ones are mandatory.

In this case, in order:
(Optionally) replace your currently active augment card with this augment card. The previous card goes directly to your discard pile, and instantly becomes irrelevant. All attacks you make from here on get the benefit of the new augment.
(Optionally) make an attack using the attack value on this augment card. If you make an attack, remember to factor in whichever augment is currently active.
(Optionally) claim XP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stein Arild Killi
Norway
flag msg tools
XP is not optional though, if you do anything related to the +x xp then you add that XP. I don't believe you gain XP just for playing those augments either, aren't they related to the attack action specifically?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Germany
flag msg tools
Felz wrote:
XP is not optional though, if you do anything related to the +x xp then you add that XP. I don't believe you gain XP just for playing those augments either, aren't they related to the attack action specifically?

I agree that Tommy's last point above is not correct. XP is not optional if you do any part of the card (you only do not gain the XP if you use the card for a standard Attack 2 action)

Official FAQ wrote:

Can I choose to not perform specific parts of an action and what is considered a negative effect?
You can choose not perform any or all parts of an action except the following:
1. Negative effects: Effects that when performed will (not may) reduce hit points, lose cards, or apply a negative condition to yourself or an ally .
2. Stand alone infusions (i.e. not attached to a specific ability). Note that infusions gained from modifier cards are considered attached to the attack so they can be skipped. Also, at least one ability on the action must be performed in order to gain the Infusion.
3. XP granting abilities, whether stand alone or attached to another ability. If stand alone, at least one ability on the action must be performed in order to gain the XP.
4. +/- X ability adjustments from modifier cards.
You cannot change the order of the abilities in the action, though.

The XP on the augments is *not* related to the attack action, as it is a big XP sign and not a small one with a comma in front. This confused me as well and I wish it would be clearer (I think there should be a specific part on the cards for XP and infusions that are triggered when the action is used)

Source: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24278163#24278163

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonatan dyre
Denmark
flag msg tools
Felz wrote:

No any part of the action done(augment or attack) and you get the exp. As clarified in the link Tobias provided above

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Wareing
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
therobbot wrote:
Felz wrote:

I agree that Tommy's last point above is not correct. XP is not optional if you do any part of the card (you only do not gain the XP if you use the card for a standard Attack 2 action)

Official FAQ]
Can I choose to not perform specific parts of an action and what is considered a negative effect?
You can choose not perform any or all parts of an action except the following:
1. Negative effects: Effects that when performed will (not may) reduce hit points, lose cards, or apply a negative condition to yourself or an ally .
2. Stand alone infusions (i.e. not attached to a specific ability). Note that infusions gained from modifier cards are considered attached to the attack so they can be skipped. Also, at least one ability on the action must be performed in order to gain the Infusion.
3. XP granting abilities, whether stand alone or attached to another ability. If stand alone, at least one ability on the action must be performed in order to gain the XP.
4. +/- X ability adjustments from modifier cards.
You cannot change the order of the abilities in the action, though.

[/q wrote:

Ah. Oops. My apologies. I was quoting from received wisdom, rather than going to the original material (and the received wisdom only mentions point 1, the negative effects).
Admittedly, the only reason I can think of to not take the XP is there's a specific battle quest which puts a maximum on how much XP you can earn. Without that, it wouldn't even be a question!

Thanks for the highlight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Trezise
United Kingdom
Rugby
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks so much guys,

I have a game tonight and this question popped up last time. We'd played it that when he initially placed that card he attacked and every subsequent attack gets the benefit of the aura - he just felt that as that card was out he always got an attack in (the attack listed on the card)

So thanks for the unified clarity!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Komdetch Koonopakarn
United States
California
flag msg tools
Sounds like you had it pretty correct.

When you play it, you turn the augment on. You also get a free attack (augmented) when you first play it.

On subsequent turns, you only get the augmented effect if you play other attack cards (you do not get a free attack every turn).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question — cards like the “augment” ones are considered “active,” right? Which means they are technically in the discard pile? So does that mean you must gather that card back in your hand when you rest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kiedrynski
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I belive that you can choose to do so but you don't have to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sadgit
Germany
flag msg tools
Descent 2nd Edition Community Rules Reference Guide
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cards in the active area are not in the discard pile nor the lost pile but are still considered to be discarded or lost. The player can move them into the appropriate pile (icon on card) at any time. He can choose to do that right before resting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.