Simple GBoH» Forums » Rules

Subject: Simple GBOH 2017 Shock Involving Active Unit supporting Inactive rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Pratt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If there are two units (enemy & friend) that remain in contact at the end of a shock combat and are now Inactive and then a subsequent friendly formation activates sending one of its units to support their friend in what was a previous combat, are both units factored in for numbers of troops involved (both Active and Inactive units)?

If this is the case then:

I am assuming the TQ differential / weapon system / leadership / terrain modifier of the newly activated units that are supporting their friend in that combat is used but flank / rear advantage could be being caused by the inactive unit depending on its position.

Playing Granicus at the moment and Alexander is in a mess so please help me figure this out.

Thankyou.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Nicholls
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Good question Sean, this came up for me yesterday when playing Hyspades. I played that inactive units could contribute to an attack even though the rules state that it is activated units that must shock. I will be interested in hearing people’s thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Little Idiot
Scotland
Manhattan
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't recall anything in the rules regarding inactive units involved in shock combat for the active player. So I would assume the answer is they cannot assist in combat, despite how unintuitive that feels.
Damn it's SIMPLEness!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Pratt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hopefully we can get some views it seems to be something that would occur a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Nicholls
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
I think you are probably right here Little Idiot, as the rules only talk about active units being involved in shock. But it does seem unintuitive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Pratt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thankyou for this. Yes I agree, I can't find anything in the rules as well. I like to understand the rationale though if it is not an oversight. Love the simpleness of it.

There is a disadvantage in that the enemy unit is stuck facing the friendly unit maybe that is enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Nicholls
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Sean700rs wrote:

There is a disadvantage in that the enemy unit is stuck facing the friendly unit maybe that is enough.

That’s true. I have had units pinned into place because they can’t change facing and can’t move away because enemy units are adjacent. I lost some companion cavalry that way after getting a little too ambitious on a flank attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
littleidiot wrote:
I don't recall anything in the rules regarding inactive units involved in shock combat for the active player. So I would assume the answer is they cannot assist in combat, despite how unintuitive that feels.
Damn it's SIMPLEness!

so the rules have changed a lot then... what happened to engaged? If they are adjacent post combat are they not engaged?

A new attack with a new unit would use both units under old system if i recall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Nicholls
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
hipshot wrote:
littleidiot wrote:
Damn it's SIMPLEness!

so the rules have changed a lot then... what happened to engaged? If they are adjacent post combat are they not engaged?

A new attack with a new unit would use both units under old system if i recall.

The rules are mostly the same although there are a bunch of tweaks here and there that add up. One of those is that activated units must (not may as in previous versions) shock any enemy in their ZOC. The rules are silent (as far as I can see) on inactive units being involved in combat which makes me think they are not counted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
makes little sense to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Nicholls
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Sean700rs wrote:
If there are two units (enemy & friend) that remain in contact at the end of a shock combat and are now Inactive and then a subsequent friendly formation activates sending one of its units to support their friend in what was a previous combat, are both units factored in for numbers of troops involved (both Active and Inactive units)?

If this is the case then:

I am assuming the TQ differential / weapon system / leadership / terrain modifier of the newly activated units that are supporting their friend in that combat is used but flank / rear advantage could be being caused by the inactive unit depending on its position.

Playing Granicus at the moment and Alexander is in a mess so please help me figure this out.

Thankyou.

I asked this at the consimworld forum and Alan Ray clarified that only active units can engage in shock, the inactive units cannot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Pratt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Many thanks!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.