Subject: Dungeon crawler with meaningful choices? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Juhan Voolaid
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like the title says, I'm looking for a dungeon crawl board game. It should have great immersive theme (that is the main point - I want to have adventure in dungeon, not to solve a puzzle), but it also should not be dull, but have some player-driven choices there.

I was looking at Descent 2nd ed, but it seems to be tactically too obvious. Also it's all about hack-n-slash grind fest.

I know people are going to recommend me Gloomhaven, but I'm not sure it is what I am looking for. I am not looking for smart euro mechanics - pure ameritrash is fine here. I want atmosphere and hard decisions - I don't mind luck (if I can manage it).

I also don't mind GM role in the game. It would be great, if it worked well with 2 (1 player vs 1 GM). Also, remembering HeroQuest from my childhood, I'd like if the GM can be creative and build it's own scenarios.

So I guess I am asking the impossible - the holy grail dungeon crawler. So just recommend me something that fit the best to my requirements. Also explain why you think it's great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin White
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I have a feeling you're not going to like my answer, but I think the best fit for your request is Dungeons and Dragons. It takes a little bit of work to play as a 1v1 game, but is certainly possible if a player plays more than one character. D&D 4th edition is very much a dungeon crawling game anyway, so could certainly be used for this sort of task.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Claustrophobia is a long shot but maybe something you haven't considered. I think it's pretty immersive and gives meaningful tactical decisions about managing your group's health and allocating the action dice. It's a simple game though but it's not simply about hack and slash, the objectives and exploration add weight and dimension. Really enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juhan Voolaid
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EndelNurk wrote:
I have a feeling you're not going to like my answer, but I think the best fit for your request is Dungeons and Dragons. It takes a little bit of work to play as a 1v1 game, but is certainly possible if a player plays more than one character. D&D 4th edition is very much a dungeon crawling game anyway, so could certainly be used for this sort of task.

You mean the RPG? Trust me, I have great RPG collection. Dungeon Crawl Classics is the best in the genre.

Here I am looking for a board game - zero prep light adventure games to play with newbies :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee Wongsa
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't a typical "dungeon crawl" game but I think it fits what you're looking for: Mansions of Madness
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Coolen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dejadee wrote:
This isn't a typical "dungeon crawl" game but I think it fits what you're looking for: Mansions of Madness

Exactly, get the second edition though (with the dedicated app) for zero hassle.
The purest of ameritrash, smooth as butter, easy as pie!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Four Against Darkness perhaps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin S.
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Level 7 [Omega Protocol] might qualify.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
Claustrophobia is a long shot but maybe something you haven't considered. I think it's pretty immersive and gives meaningful tactical decisions about managing your group's health and allocating the action dice. It's a simple game though but it's not simply about hack and slash, the objectives and exploration add weight and dimension. Really enjoy it.

I will +1 Claustrophobia as well. It's a very well-thought-out game.

Also will +1 Mansions of Madness, but only the second edition. I wouldn't recommend with the first edition anymore unless you are absolutely certain you want it, the app-driven 2E pretty much fixes all the issues the first one had. Note that building your own scenarios is not an option with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juhan Voolaid
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, for dungeon crawl I would prefer fantasy setting.

For Mansions of Madness I already have Mansions of Madness (2nd Edition). CoC is my favorite RPG and I don't wish to cut any corners for Lovecraftian horror gaming.

I do love Betrayal though, and am looking forward for the Betrayal at Baldur's Gate. But this is a bit different genre.

I think I miss that old HeroQuest - may be we'll get the 30th anniversary edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:

If 1 vs. 1 is what you want, I strongly recommend Claustrophobia. It's awesome.
If you want to recapture that magical Heroquest feeling, just buy a used copy of Heroquest and maybe add your own house rules. None of the modern dungeon crawlers really replace it, for me anyway.

The closest thing to a modern Heroquest is probably Dungeon Saga: Dwarf King's Quest. I like a lot of things about it, but it's kind of a mixed bag, components wise.

Descent Second Edition is not a really a dungeon crawl, sadly. It plays more like a weird asymmetrical sport with dungeon window dressing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.