Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hallo everyone,

when playing Pandemic with 2 players, every player starts out with 4 cards.

Since the scientist only requires 4 cards to research a cure, it it theoretically possible that this player could start out the game with already a cure on his/her hand.

I'm curious. Has this ever happened to anyone ?

Poll
Did you ever start a 2-player game with the scientist already having a 4-card cure on his/her hand ?
Yes
No
      128 answers
Poll created by Kyur

Since all players also start at a research station, it is even possible to cure a disease as the very first action in a game -- and even further, theoretically also possible to eridacte a disease completely right from the beginning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tyree
United States
Dayton
Ohio (OH)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have once, but I know the culprit was a bad shuffle of a fresh deck. Right from the package, the colors are all in a run. The gent shuffling his new cards was excited to play, didn't do more than a few passes and we had long stretches of the same colors. Whoops, live and learn

Now, for well mixed and shuffled decks I have had games where I could have a first turn cure, but not just on the scientist's hand. Mixed over folks hands at least once was a blue cure by trading ATL and another was the powerful scientist/researcher role combo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last game we played 2-player with the Scientist, she did get 3 cards of the same color in her first hand, and the other player had the 4th. That was the easiest first cure we ever had.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Enter something witty here
badge
These aren't really my legs
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible? Yes, but I'd probably re-shuffle and deal new cards. I like the game to be somewhat challenging and would be disappointed if one cure was already available from start. I also would be afraid it was because of poor shuffling, though I'd be interested to see someone do the math on the chance of having 4 cards dealt to you of all the same color when factoring in epidemics and action cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Kneeland
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only did we have this happen, we eradicated the disease as well due to unique initial disease set up. It was cool. Game was still a blast, perhaps a tad easy, but fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George I.
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The probability to start with a cure in hand is extremely low? Can you guess the magnitude? It's less than 1%; it's as low as... 0.73%.

Rationale: there are 52 cards in the deck: 48 cities and 4 events (not 5, I'm using the OTB rules). This makes us C(52,4)=270,725 different 4-card hands.

We have 12 cards of each color and C(12,4)=495 different hands of 4 same-colored hands. We can multiply by 4, since we have 4 colors, as all these hands are different (different colors), i.e., we are not adding twice any same hand: 4*C(12,4)=1,980 different hands of 4-colored cards.

Thus, the probability is 1,980/270,725 or 0.73%.

This can be adjusted to account for two players drawing cards or the probability of being dealt with the Scientist, as well, but you get the point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Picon wrote:

Rationale: there are 52 cards in the deck: 48 cities and 4 events (not 5, I'm using the OTB rules). This makes us C(52,4)=270,725 different 4-card hands.

Don't forget the epidemic cards, but thanks for the calculation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Picon wrote:
The probability to start with a cure in hand is extremely low? Can you guess the magnitude? It's less than 1%; it's as low as... 0.73%.

We have 12 cards of each color and C(12,4)=495 different hands of 4 same-colored hands. We can multiply by 4, since we have 4 colors, as all these hands are different (different colors), i.e., we are not adding twice any same hand: 4*C(12,4)=1,980 different hands of 4-colored cards.

This can be adjusted to account for two players drawing cards or the probability of being dealt with the Scientist, as well, but you get the point.

so once every ~137 2-player games will one of the players start with 4 of the same color. in base game, that person has a 1 in 7 chance of having the scientist, so that's a 1 in ~959 games chance of starting with a cure. This becomes even rarer as you add in more roles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, this has happened to me before.

We still lost...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anny48 wrote:
Picon wrote:

The epidemic cards are not in the deck when the players' hands are dealt, so they don't factor in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stoneleaf wrote:
Anny48 wrote:
Picon wrote:

The epidemic cards are not in the deck when the players' hands are dealt, so they don't factor in.

Good point, thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
so once every ~137 2-player games will one of the players start with 4 of the same color. in base game, that person has a 1 in 7 chance of having the scientist, so that's a 1 in ~959 games chance of starting with a cure. This becomes even rarer as you add in more roles.

Not quite. There's two players in the game, so you'll have one of the players start with four-of-a-kind in one out of ~69 games. That player will then be the scientist in one out of 483 games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Randomness is clumpy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Burgess
United Kingdom
Chichester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dulkal wrote:
That player will then be the scientist in one out of 483 games.

I don't understand this comment. There is a much higher chance of drawing the Scientist than once every 483 games...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
mattpburgess wrote:
Dulkal wrote:
That player will then be the scientist in one out of 483 games.

I don't understand this comment. There is a much higher chance of drawing the Scientist than once every 483 games...

This is the chance that the person both draws the Scientist AND has 4 cards of a single color in the initial deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anny48 wrote:
Last game we played 2-player with the Scientist, she did get 3 cards of the same color in her first hand, and the other player had the 4th. That was the easiest first cure we ever had.

Unless the other player was the Researcher, you still had to both get to that other city, and then get from there back to Atlanta. (Or get a research station built and get to that.) Not so very easy...if you're playing by the rules. If the other player was the Researcher, then yeah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Patterson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Annowme wrote:
Yep, this has happened to me before.

We still lost...

My son and I are getting ready to launch Legacy, so we've played a couple games with the vanilla rules to get a feel for it, as recommended for those who haven't played Pandemic before. We weren't dealt a cure, but he started with a lot of black and had the cure after the first couple of turns. Odd thing was, no black cities were revealed during the initial infections, and none had come up yet, so the disease was eradicated as well. We thought, sweet! Until no black city cards came up for a very long time, so we didn't get the free infection draws we were hoping for, and neither of us could get a set of 5 for quite a long time. We ended up losing with only 2 diseases cured as the deck ran out.

Admittedly, we're still figuring things out, but I wouldn't assume an early cure will guarantee an easy game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting.

Apparently it happened more often than I expected (based on the current poll result of 21.6% Yes and 78.4% No).

I played this game a lot and it never happened so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George I.
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Picon wrote:

And an update on that: let's adjust the probability to account for TWO players now. What's the probability of at least one player drawing a 4-colored hand?

Let's call this probability P(A or B). It's calculated as P(A or B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A and B). Intuitively, you can just add the two probabilities together, but you have to subtract the probability of BOTH players drawing great hands, as we've added these hands twice; i.e., in P(A)+P(B) we have added twice the hands where both players will have a 4-colored hand.

So what's the probability of both players having a 4-colored hand?
¶1) Player A has P(A)=4*C(12,4)/C(52,4) chances to get a 4-colored hand (e.g., red).
¶2) Player B can either get:
¶2.1) a 4-colored hand of a different color (e.g., blue/yellow/black), or...
¶2.2) a 4-colored hand of the same color (e.g., red), but out of the remaining 12-4=8 cards of that color.

In case ¶2.1, there are 3 colors remaining, with 12 cards each. Thus, there are 3*C(12,4) 4-colored hands, of the rest of the colors. But, since we have now 48 cards in the deck, as player A already has drawn 4 cards. Thus, there are C(48,4) hands remaining, therefore, the probability here is 3*C(12,4)/C(48,4)=3*1,980/194,580 (about 3.05%).

In the latter case ¶2.2, there are 12-4=8 cards remaining of the same color as player A has. There are therefore C(8,4) different hands and in total C(8,4)/C(48,4)=70/194,580 (about 0.36‰; note, that's less than 1 in a thousand games).

To have either ¶2.1 or ¶2.2: since they are mutually exclusive, we just add these together. P(¶2.1 or ¶2.2) = P(¶2.1) + P(¶2.2) = 3*C(12,4)/C(48,4) + C(8,4)/C(48,4) = 311/38,916. This is just the second player drawing a 4-colored hand out of the remaining cards, but we have not accounted for the first player to draw such a hand, yet.

P(A and B), the probability to have both players drawing a 4-colored hand, is P(¶1 and ¶2) = P(¶1 and (¶2.1 or ¶2.2)), i.e., the probability of one player drawing such a hand and the other player as well, from what's left of the deck. Since these two probabilities are mutually exclusive (as we have removed the cards that player A has drawn), it's:
P(¶1 and (¶2.1 or ¶2.2)) = P(¶1) * P(¶2.1 or ¶2.2) = P(A) * P(¶2.1 or ¶2.2)

That's about 5.84e-5, i.e., both players drawing a 4-colored hand will occur once every 20,000 games.

What if either one draws a good hand? That's:
P(A or B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A and B)
= P(A) + P(A) - P(A) * P(¶2.1 or ¶2.2)
= P(A) * (2 - P(¶2.1 or ¶2.2))
= 4*C(12,4)/C(52,4) * [2 - (3*C(12,4) + C(8,4))/C(48,4)]
= 852,731/58,530,745
= 1.47%

Thus, the probability of either player to draw a 4-colored hand is 1.47%, about 3 out of 200 games.

Note that this is very close to just P(A)+P(B), i.e., without subtracting the cases where both players have a 4-colored hand, as this is virtually impossible to happen!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Picon wrote:

Thus, the probability of either player to draw a 4-colored hand is 1.47%, about 3 out of 200 games.

But it's not enough for either player to draw a 4-of-a-kind hand. That player also needs to be a scientist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George I.
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dulkal wrote:
But it's not enough for either player to draw a 4-of-a-kind hand. That player also needs to be a scientist.
It's not enough to find a cure out of a 4-of-a-kind hand. If that's your point, then you are right. Nevertheless, I am not calculating the probability of curing a disease; I was explicit in that I am calculating the probability of drawing such a hand. In about 3 out 200 games at least one of the two players will draw such a hand; doesn't mean they will be able to cure it as well.

To cure, this has to be adjusted to the following scenarios:
- The player that has a 4-of-a-kind hand is the Scientist, or...
- One player has 4 blue cards and the other player has Atlanta, or...
- The player with the 4-of-a-kind hand is the Epidemiologist and the second player has a 5th card of that color, or...
- The other player is the Researcher and both of them have 5 cards of that color, in any combination.

If you really want to stretch things out and demand a turn 1-2 cure, you can restrict in the last scenario that:
a) The non-Researcher has at least 2 cards of that color in hand, (or at least 1, if they are the Generalist), so that they can share and cure on the same turn, or...
b) The Researcher goes first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Picon wrote:
It's not enough to find a cure out of a 4-of-a-kind hand. If that's your point, then you are right.

Well, that was the question that started the thread:
""Did you ever start a 2-player game with the scientist already having a 4-card cure on his/her hand ?""

If we are just looking for first-turn cures, the odds get a great deal better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.