11 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Important to have both core sets? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Emilio Verhayde
msg tools
Hello everybody

I just received my FA core set and was looking for the other core set.
The only way to get my hands on it, is by paying €10 more than I would pay for FA. As a new player I still care about this price difference.
I would like to ask some advice of you guys. Is it really worth having the different core sets with this price difference?
If I wouldn't buy the first core set, I would buy a second FA core set and probably an extra expansion (I'm buying HoTR and imperial veteranes anyway).

Every advice is much appriciated, I'm really struggling making a choice here, the only thing I don't like about this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now the original core set is being reprinted. Prices will come back down once they're available.

Regarding do you need one, the answer is, "of course."

Sarcasm aside, it really is nice to have one of each. With two players you each have your own movement templates, you have extra dice... and there are pilots and other upgrade cards (like R2-D2) that you can't get anywhere else unless you buy individual cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Dave said, the extra cards and templates and tokens make having both cores very worthwhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's absolutely worth it but you can hold off and wait until it's more widely available again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emilio Verhayde
msg tools
Thank you for the advice guys!

I forgot to say that I'm gonna play casual. I'm going to wait for the reprint thanks to you all
I'm glad I know it's an important addition to the collection

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Grefrath
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
don't forget to check used... people are always getting in and out of the game so someone might want to sell a core set cheap. (I've acquired 2.5 core sets from people getting out of the game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
You really dont need anything but ships for casual play. you can use an online tool to make lists. its easier and you dont need to fiddle with the cards at all.

-M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
msg tools
I got FA for Christmas and purchased the original when it was listed as half price on Amazon last year.

I would go for it for sure. 2 sets of dice and movement pieces, 2 sets of damage decks, more ships, cool pilots...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Becker
United States
Yardley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You certainly don't NEED it. The only set you definitely NEED is the FA core set as that has the damage deck that is the "tournament legal" one currently.

But as many people have said, you will probably eventually want it. I honestly don't know if it something you will want immediately though. In the beginning I got 2 core sets, and (again as everyone has said) having the extra set of dice, range rulers and maneuver templates is very convenient. But due to the power creep in the game, the T-70 X-wing outclasses the old T-65 in every way unless you want a specific pilot (looking at you Biggs.) R2-D2 is a great astromech, but you could probably buy just him from e-bay cheap as he is unique and therefore can't be used on more than one ship and many people like me got 2 of the original core sets and have more R2-D2's than we can use in a set. He was also given away in recent store tournements, so it isn't uncommon for people to have 3 of them. Also as Necessary Evil said, you don't really need any of the upgrade cards if you are playing casual. Just use a list builder (http://xwing-builder.co.uk/build is my favorite) and print it out with the card descriptions to "proxie" the card.

If I were just starting, especially with the current price of the original core set, I would get two FA core sets. Then pick up other ships that you want to fly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xbeaker wrote:
The only set you definitely NEED is the FA core set as that has the damage deck that is the "tournament legal" one currently.

Current tournament rules (as of April, 2017) still allow either deck to be used.
Quote:
Players may choose to use either the original Core Set damage deck
or The Force Awakens™ Core Set damage deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Becker
United States
Yardley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I didn't realize they changed it back. for a while they required the FA set

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.