Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Wiley
United States
Des Moines
IA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Star Wars: Destiny for the first time last night. But the focus of this post is not so much on the game itself, which was great, but rather the overall experience. You hear so much buzz about the game and how great it is, and so it was something I had my eye on trying for a while. Two things held me back:

1) Memories of the money sink that a CCG can become. It has been about a decade since I played Magic: The Gathering, but I still remember how much time and money could be invested into that niche hobby. Money that could be spent instead to buy complete games rather than collectable ones.

2) The dice. I heard so much about this being a dice-based game and I knew that my primary playing partner, my wife, would have no interest at all in playing the game if it was heavily based on rolling dice.

They were running a tournament, but had mentioned it was a casual affair and anyone wanting to learn could come around 7:30 and learn to play using someone else's deck. I showed up around 6:15 to watch and to play some solo games of their demo copy of Herbaceous while the tourney went on. But shortly after the tourney started, the organizer invited me over to play a round with him using one of his decks.

My team was a Nightsister, First Order Stormtrooper, and Count Dooku, and the Nightsister died rather early. I got a turn-one Training on the Stormtrooper, but like a Stormtrooper his accuracy was an issue for most of the game. Dooku got hammered hard, but a well-timed Rise Again when he had 9 damage allowed me to steal the victory.

But it isn't really about the game played. Yes, it was a lot of fun. It went from feeling like I was on the losing side when the Nightsister went down to a feeling of elation at pulling things like Force Lightning and Rise Again out of the deck and put them into play.

The real star of the night was the small community. Even before I was pulled into that learning game, one of the guys there had tossed me a few cards. Even though I didn't participate in the tourney, I still put in my $5 like the rest after my game, which earned me my first booster from Spirit of the Rebellion. I got the TIE Pilot from that pack so I had my first rare.

After playing the game against the organizer, he went through a few stacks of his cards and loaded me up with about 30-40 cards from his own collection along with the three promo cards that were being handed out to players as they accomplished certain tasks during the tournament. He gave a few that he said would work well with the TIE Pilot, which I was especially grateful for. After the tourney ended, there was a 3-way tie in record for 3rd place so the organizer asked how they wanted to figure out who got 3rd and thus the price booster pack.

Here's another great moment: they wanted to give it to the new player. So that netted me an Interrogation Droid, which added to my start on Villains. As people were packing up, someone dropped a few additional cards my way. At the time I didn't think on it, but I realize in hindsight it was likely from the 1st or 2nd place finisher, as it was exactly 5 cards and the top one was Jyn Erso with her die. So he likely opened his prize booster, saw the cards, and gave them to me. Talk about a great experience.

That is how you get someone off the fence about a game, especially one like this: you be friendly, welcoming, and generosity certainly never hurts. It would have remained a fun experience without the cards that were gifted, but I might have decided to stick to other games. Now I am determined to at least pick up a starter pack and take another step or two into what the game has to offer. They are talking about making it a semi-regular event to just get together and play both casually and in tournament-style settings. And I plan to pick up either the Rey or Kylo Ren set by then and piece together a weak but workable deck to bring along. After all, they welcomed me into the game. And I'm itching to not only get some more cards and dice, but also to learn about what cards and decks and combos are out there and try them out.

And maybe, someday, I'll have enough cards and dice to return the favor to another new player who stumbles into an event with no knowledge of the game. I'd be happy to pay it forward to them, just like others have already started paying it forward to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really enjoyed this. Not into the community of this game, just biding time patiently until my kids can read and play this with me. But very much enjoying it. I'm happy to grab a box or two of each expansion and pull together a larger collection that I can enjoy for years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominik Schwindt
Austria
Elsbethen
Salzburg
flag msg tools
badge
I am just so into Arkham Horror LCG!! Plan on buying the Mansions of Madness at next opportunity!
mbmbmbmbmb

So great that you took the time to share this awsome experience! Very much appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got helped in a similar manner at my first FLGS tournament, where I showed up with nothing but Starter and although I held my own it was uphill. Well, the organizer gifted me one of every Awakenings common and the store threw in two Dooku's. Truly nice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.