Lazy Mountain

Colorado
msg tools
mb
Enjoyed my first 2p game of this, but questions arose almost immediately.

- The "?" Symbol isn't explained in the rules. I assumed it meant "1x Item of Choice", because of how it appeared to be a 3:1 coins to ? conversion. (Can that be a pipe?)

- Rules explain for drafting a die pips 3-5 to move to the "next" clue of the respective type. What rules define a "next" target?

I implemented bot-like clarity: the "next" clue is the one of that type fewest dots+ items away; in case of multiple equidistant targets, Holmes choice.

However, I realize the "next clue" and path to it could be completely free choice, only constrained by the rule disallowing crossing a drawn path.

-In some cases, because the allowable paths aren't highlighted, it wasn't clear how we could move to a target. Example: from the right-most Knuckles, is there a path along Eastern edge of London Jetty? ie, are both green and blue paths allowed here?

- It appears one could get stuck in the lower land area:

From the clue (glass), it would be allowed to use a 1 or 2 die to move towards the knife, but this clearly results in having to retrace lines to move to or across either bridge. Presumably retracing is disallowed like "crossing" a drawn path. So in this case... the player?? Pre-emptively can't move to the knife? Is out of the game? Is allowed to retrace?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.S. Bridges
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there! Thanks for playing. Rules clarifications:

Q1)The "?" Symbol isn't explained in the rules. I assumed it meant "1x Item of Choice", because of how it appeared to be a 3:1 coins to ? conversion. (Can that be a pipe?)

A1)The "?" is whatever icon you want it to be. And yes, you can change coins into pipes (points) as well. This is probably best served at the end of the game as other icons may help you solve other mysteries during the course of the game.

Q2)Rules explain for drafting a die pips 3-5 to move to the "next" clue of the respective type. What rules define a "next" target?

A2)The next target icon is wherever you want on the map. This means you are allowed to snake all over the city to the next icon. The next revision of rules will state though that if you do not have a valid move on a future turn when you select a die, you game will be over. This will keep players from winding all over the board on turn one and then sitting in one place and solving mystery after mystery.

Q3)In some cases, because the allowable paths aren't highlighted, it wasn't clear how we could move to a target. Example: from the right-most Knuckles, is there a path along Eastern edge of London Jetty? ie, are both green and blue paths allowed here?

A3)Due to my mediocre art skills, this is really not the best a map could be in a final finished product. In my play group, we decided that if the whole group decided it was a road, it was usable road. So, therefor in your example, yes you can go around the London Jetty.

Q4)It appears one could get stuck in the lower land area.

A4)It may appear this way again due to my lack of my art skills, but it is possible to snake through the lower part of the city and make it back out while going through every single icon. The roads are not well defined on the map, but they are there. Again, if your group says its a road, its a usable road. As far as retracing over a line, that is prohibited. This will be addressed in a revision of the rules as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marianne Waage
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I had much the same questions on playing. I think Q2, moving to the "next" clue, should probably be more strict than what you suggest. In your revised rule, you could just draw one snakey line through every point in the map, as long as you finish with the item in question. It wouldn't really matter if your game finished before others, as you'd have every marker marked, and you'd have your 9 mysteries.

The three start areas don't feel very comparative in starting routes, but perhaps that's intentional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.