Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric P
United States
Collinsville
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since it's getting tough to find these, I went ahead and picked up the two expansions I could find (Pegasus and Daybreak).

What combination of optional components from those two expansions do you think makes for the best overall game?

ALSO: I'm going to keep hunting for a deal on Exodus as well, so if anyone knows a shop that has one at a decent rate, PM me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Eric the GM wrote:
Since it's getting tough to find these, I went ahead and picked up the two expansions I could find (Pegasus and Daybreak).

What combination of optional components from those two expansions do you think makes for the best overall game?

ALSO: I'm going to keep hunting for a deal on Exodus as well, so if anyone knows a shop that has one at a decent rate, PM me!

Everything except New Caprica or Earth. Just go to Kobol. Use Daybreak Cylon Leader motives when you have 4 or 6 players.

EDIT: Added 'motives' for last sentence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhsa wrote:
Eric the GM wrote:

Everything except New Caprica or Earth. Just go to Kobol. Daybreak Cylon Leaders when you have 4 or 6 players.
Just to be clear, when you use CL with both Pegasus and Daybreak, you're free to pick the Pegasus CL (ie. Caprica Six, Cavil, Leoben).

With "Day CL", the following former (Daybreak) is used instead of the latter (Pegasus)
--Day Treachery vs. Peg Treachery
--Motives vs. Agendas

-I don't believe the CL card is different than the one from Pegasus besides wording (they all say how to Infiltrate, and what's different with Infiltration)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Daybreak Treachery supersedes (and is better than) Pegasus Treachery.

Kobol is probably the way to go, though Earth can be fun on occasion. New Caprica should be avoided unless everyone knows what they're getting into.

As mentioned, Cylon Leader (with Motives) for 4- or 6-player game. Avoid the Mutineer unless you're playing a 7-player game (which I don't recommend, people have trouble staying engaged). You probably want to play the CL yourself when playing with new players; CLs can be complicated.

Main drawback of the Pegasus + Daybreak game is there is a new damage sponge in the Pegasus without any compensating source of damage. Probably not a big problem your first few games as it's compensated by Mutiny management, but could be an issue going forward. You could always house rule it so that you randomly draw damage (rather than assign it to one ship or the other): shake all the tokens up in your hands and drop one, to prevent you from just being able to ignore damage almost altogether.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kingerc wrote:
As mentioned, Cylon Leader (with Motives) for 4- or 6-player game. Avoid the Mutineer unless you're playing a 7-player game (which I don't recommend, people have trouble staying engaged). You probably want to play the CL yourself when playing with new players; CLs can be complicated.

As much as I recommend avoiding 7p and trying to keep it at max 6p, sometimes, it's worth it. The player who sits out in a 6p game instead of a 7p game will have zero engagement. If it's that big a concern, consider sitting out so that you can now have a 6p, but then you'd still need to see if one player is up to being a CL, or consider the Mutr. as the lesser of 2 evils.

8p games? Be glad you have such a large interest in the game, but 7p games may have to suffice unless someone's willing to buy a 2nd copy with expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yatsura Urusai
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
If you want a beginner friendly game, you should exclude all reckless cards from Pegasus, its game boards, character & crisis cards that involve executions, the New-Caprica destination as well as the destination card (Earth) from Daybreak & its game boards.
The Pegasus board is just an upgraded version of some Galactica board areas.
The New Caprica board adds a whole new game mode at the end of the game, which is long & complicated enough already.
The reckless cards are unnecessary, because Daybreak cards are similar, easier & stronger, but without new mechanics to explain & understand.
The executions are redundant to the Brig. Everytime you want to get rid of a cylon player, you need to explain & understand both mechanics (Brig & execution) and to decide which one to use. Either mechanic renders some game characters useless.
Daybreaks Demetrius board & Cylon Basestar board just add unnecessary mechanics that wont improve much, but drag on your tutorials & test your players patience.

All the rest is fine though, which is still a lot. Especially all the cards & characters are good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We house rule that we don't start with Pegasus but it jumps in (with Mk VIIs but thats exodus) if anything is in the red at sleeper phase. Which isn't bad for a new player game as you don't need to explain anything about it for initial setup. I usually just let folks know it will come in if we're in the red, and it usually helps the humans. Then after the first jump I'll explain what it actually adds as then people have a few turns down to better understand it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.