Subject: Begginer - strategy Frantic Coding rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Cook
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
So after playing with each faction at least twice, the Runner went 7-1, and I made a mistake and lost as runner when I backed off an ice because I thought you needed an icebreaker.

One observation - at the beginner level, using the core cards and the neutrals, the Crypsis card is dominant.

I'm guessing these teams or our play style make the Corp just to slow, so the expensive Crypsis does ok. Also at least once a game we forget his penalty.

So we bought a new pack, and are building!

However, our teams got worse, because I don't want to keep sharing the neutrals, so I split them in half, often giving my son 2 of a better card and me just one.

My son did not pick Anarch, he went Shaper, and I have Criminal, and he has NBN and me Haas-Bioroid.

So with cutting the neutrals in half, and adding some cards from Intervention, we have new teams.

He wanted Ele, so we went with Intervention. However, a lot of these cards don't seem useful to us. And we cant really thin out weak cards, because for our runners, even with us splitting the 2 Neutrals and 2 Anarchs, we struggle to get 45 cards.

On top of this, I now have just 1 Crypsis for my Criminal team!

1) Is Frantic Coding worth putting in my deck? It lets me fetch an icebreaker, but I have to trash 9 cards.

2) what can the Corp do in general to win? I'm not sure Intervention, with the splitting of Neutrals, is going to help. I don't really want to break up my core Anarch, Weyland or Jinteki yet, but will use any new cards we get, out of faction if need be.

I've tried protecting everything quickly with an Ice, but after one or two runs I don't have the money to rez the other Ice's, and it doesn't take much for a Runner win.

Also, the ambushes are fun, but often I don't have the money available after rezzing ices to pull the trap off when I get the chance.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
Some common rules mistakes:

Were you removing a virus counter for each ice you used Crypsis to break?

Were you spending credits with Crypsis to equal the strength of each ice?

Were you keeping the ice rezzed and installed after breaking it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stonewall wrote:
So after playing with each faction at least twice, the Runner went 7-1, and I made a mistake and lost as runner when I backed off an ice because I thought you needed an icebreaker.

One observation - at the beginner level, using the core cards and the neutrals, the Crypsis card is dominant.

I'm guessing these teams or our play style make the Corp just to slow, so the expensive Crypsis does ok. Also at least once a game we forget his penalty.

So we bought a new pack, and are building!

However, our teams got worse, because I don't want to keep sharing the neutrals, so I split them in half, often giving my son 2 of a better card and me just one.

My son did not pick Anarch, he went Shaper, and I have Criminal, and he has NBN and me Haas-Bioroid.

So with cutting the neutrals in half, and adding some cards from Intervention, we have new teams.

He wanted Ele, so we went with Intervention. However, a lot of these cards don't seem useful to us. And we cant really thin out weak cards, because for our runners, even with us splitting the 2 Neutrals and 2 Anarchs, we struggle to get 45 cards.

On top of this, I now have just 1 Crypsis for my Criminal team!

1) Is Frantic Coding worth putting in my deck? It lets me fetch an icebreaker, but I have to trash 9 cards.

2) what can the Corp do in general to win? I'm not sure Intervention, with the splitting of Neutrals, is going to help. I don't really want to break up my core Anarch, Weyland or Jinteki yet, but will use any new cards we get, out of faction if need be.

I've tried protecting everything quickly with an Ice, but after one or two runs I don't have the money to rez the other Ice's, and it doesn't take much for a Runner win.

Also, the ambushes are fun, but often I don't have the money available after rezzing ices to pull the trap off when I get the chance.

Thanks!

If you are tired of building and rebuilding, perhaps it is time to purchase a second core.

At a minimum, the Corps need most of the neutral agendas around to be viable at the stage you're at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter and I play with a shared set too, but we alternate side, so one of us will play Corp for a while and the other will play runner for a while, then we'll switch. This way you get to make the most of your card pool.

As a corp, you should be putting out some cheap end the run ice and scoring some early agendas, or maybe dropping a few traps to slow down those runners if they're winning every game.

Good luck, and keep having fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cook
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
Zebadiah wrote:

Thanks!

We do sometimes forget the virus counter removal. Otherwise we are ok, we do match strength of ice and also do keep ice rezzed.

Each run is often expensive for the Runner with Crypsis, often costing 6 or 7 credits a run. But the Runner seems to have it, or get it every 2 turns, while the Corp, once it gets low in money, always seems to be out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goeshi
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stonewall wrote:
Zebadiah wrote:

Thanks!

We do sometimes forget the virus counter removal. Otherwise we are ok, we do match strength of ice and also do keep ice rezzed.

Each run is often expensive for the Runner with Crypsis, often costing 6 or 7 credits a run. But the Runner seems to have it, or get it every 2 turns, while the Corp, once it gets low in money, always seems to be out.

Even a relatively weak server with, say, two Ice Walls, would cost Crypsis 8 credits and 2 virus counters to break. And even with Magnum Opus installed this would take 6 clicks for the runner to acquire, which is more than enough time to score an agenda or strengthen the server further. Core Set HB is know for being a wealthy ID, so something tells me if you're losing to Crypsis you're possibly playing a rule wrong, or aren't seizing the opportunity to score while the runner is poor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Billings
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goeshi wrote:
Core Set HB is know for being a wealthy ID, so something tells me if you're losing to Crypsis you're possibly playing a rule wrong, or aren't seizing the opportunity to score while the runner is poor.

Not necessarily. Back towards the end of the Spin Cycle it was still a valid control strategy to just use the threat of activation of Crypsis+a big pile of credits in order to deny scoring windows.

So, I'd say it's probably the latter. It's essential to tax out the runner in order to create opportunities to score, because all things being equal, the runner can always get in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon van Klarenbosch
Netherlands
Maarssen
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it fascinating to see how people play Netrunner differently based on what they want to get out of the game or how their opponent plays. Because of that it's a bit of a challenge to give specific advice, but I'll see what I can do.

1) Frantic Coding is definitely a big-risk card that I think requires a somewhat more expanded card pool (mainly other cards that shuffle trashed cards back into the stack or to add them to your grip in other ways), but out of the core set I think it works nicely with Deja Vu. Basically, it gives you 9 possible Deja Vu targets to choose from in one go: you see that juicy Account Siphon or Magnum Opus or 2 useful Virus programs that otherwise would have taken you 8 clicks to get from the stack? Play Deja Vu and add it to your grip! Of course it sucks if your Deja Vus are trashed because of FC's effect...

And yeah, with the exception of Data Ward, Intervention isn't that great as a first pack for the Corp overall, but it's fun to try to make a kill deck with Chief Slee and ice that have many subroutines (such as Data Ward!)

2) As for strategy advice when it comes to the Corp, I can only give some general recommendations:

- Put early pressure on the runner. When I started playing, I tended to be too busy with simply building up my ICE, installing assets and generally improving my board position. But you have to take risks: install 3 different remote servers in one turn and try to confuse the runner in that way. Does the Runner tend to take risks early? Start off with an installed Snare!, Project Junebug or damage-dealing ice (such as Neural Katana). Does the Runner bide their time and build up their rig first? Try to quickly score an agenda such as Hostile Takeover or Nisei MK II behind a piece of cheap ice on your second or third (or even first) turn.

- Drain the Runner. Make them waste clicks and credits by installing multiple assets and upgrades. PAD Campaign is perfect for this because of its high trash cost. And if they don't trash it, it gives you a steady flow of money for the rest of the game (especially if you manage to get multiple)! Cards that directly make the Runner lose money are great as well: Red Herrings is fantastic to keep your agenda safe if you put it with an agenda in a taxing server and Tollbooth is one of the best ice in the game because of its consistent tax. Or try to tag the Runner with a couple of Data Raven and play Closed Accounts if they don't remove the tag.

- Know your opponent and device your strategy around their playstyle. I don't know how you or your son play, but if you play each other regularly, you get a feeling about each others' style and risk management. If he goes for cards with advancement tokens the instant you put them down, put 1 or 2 Project Junebug in your deck. Are you constantly annoyed by his strong programs? Add in more cards that can trash programs, such as Ichi 1.0, Archer and (my favorite) Aggressive Secretary. How does he get his agendas? If he tends to go for R&D with The Maker's Eye a lot, focus on icing R&D primarily at the beginning and don't put too much effort on icing HQ. Is he more of a remote runner? Put in asset ambushes. Leave them out if he doesn't tend to fall for them or try to figure out at what moments he tries to go for an agenda and trick him based on that.

As on how to deal with Crypsis:

- Program destruction tools as I listed above are very useful in this regard.
- Bulwark from Intervention basically gives you money from him having Crypsis in the first place.
- Try out the amazing Data Raven + Data Ward combo!devil
- Lots of cheap ice. Wall of Static costs the Corp 3 to rez, but the Runner 4 to get through with Crypsis. Ichi 1.0 costs 7 to get through, Tollbooth 9, Enigma 4, Shadow 3... Like others, I'm quite curious where the Runner gets so much money from. It's gonna cost a Runner his whole turn just to get the credits to get through 1 Ichi by clicking Magnum Opus or Armitage Codebusting, and then he doesn't even have a virus counter yet! But it is indeed the case that out of the core set the Runner has a more varied spread in economic options (and some amazing ones in Bank Job, Account Siphon and Magnum Opus), but Hedge Fund, PAD Campaign, Adonis Campaign, Beanstalk Royalties and Melange Mining Corp are your friends.

Good luck and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goeshi wrote:

Even a relatively weak server with, say, two Ice Walls, would cost Crypsis 8 credits and 2 virus counters to break.
did you mean Wall of Static?

but yes, i agree. to the OP: are you making sure that you're paying to boost Crypsis for each piece of ice per server? it doesn't keep its strength unless it says so (like on Gordian Blade and Battering Ram)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goeshi
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dr00 wrote:
Goeshi wrote:

Even a relatively weak server with, say, two Ice Walls, would cost Crypsis 8 credits and 2 virus counters to break.
did you mean Wall of Static?

but yes, i agree. to the OP: are you making sure that you're paying to boost Crypsis for each piece of ice per server? it doesn't keep its strength unless it says so (like on Gordian Blade and Battering Ram)

Yes I did, good catch

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.