High Frontier (3rd edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Variant - The Expanse - Babylon's Ashes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Woodman GW
United States
California
flag msg tools
I'm reading the sixth book in the Expanse series, and this book cries out to be made into a strategy game. System wide war against a space age Alexander the Great belter. And the best platform would be, High Frontier.

Has anyone else had this thought?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian
Switzerland
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
High Frontier seems very expandable and a good place to start variants.

The most difficult thing to work around is the fact that you always only have one rocket going and that people can't use the same patents. There's the alien invasion variant in the rules that tries to do something like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ziggi W
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's an Expanse game coming out soon, basically Twilight Imperium with COIN mechanics playable in less than 2 hours The Expanse Board Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zigfromsa wrote:
There's an Expanse game coming out soon, basically Twilight Imperium with COIN mechanics playable in less than 2 hours The Expanse Board Game

I think you mean Twilight Struggle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woodman GW
United States
California
flag msg tools
Took a look at that board game and it could be good, but not what I am thinking of. But I guess it wouldn't so much be a variant of High frontier as much as a game using the high frontier movement system. Multiple rockets, but almost all using the same Epstein thruster system. Track fuel by fleets not by ships. It would remove the technology mechanic, colonies and factories would already be on the board but the politics component could be there. Maybe it's stretching the system too far, but since the expanse world is based mainly on real orbital mechanics I think High Frontier is a good base platform for a game focused not on the story but on the positional warfare in the sixth book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ziggi W
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rstites25 wrote:
zigfromsa wrote:

Nope! Geoff Engelstein told D6 Generation podcast he was aiming to make a game similar to Twilight Imperium using COIN (and I guess Twilight Srruggle) mechanics

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anarcho Paladin
msg tools
dcgreenwood wrote:
I'm reading the sixth book in the Expanse series, and this book cries out to be made into a strategy game. System wide war against a space age Alexander the Great belter. And the best platform would be, High Frontier.

Has anyone else had this thought?

SPOILER!!! yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
mbmbmbmbmb
zigfromsa wrote:
rstites25 wrote:
zigfromsa wrote:

Nope! Geoff Engelstein told D6 Generation podcast he was aiming to make a game similar to Twilight Imperium using COIN (and I guess Twilight Srruggle) mechanics

Yet Jason Levine listed The Expanse Board Game as his #1 game of 2017 and said it was the multi-player version of Twilight Struggle. His mini-review of it starts at 12:47 in this video: Top 10 Games of 2017 - with Jason Levine.

I think something must have gotten lost in the translation since Twilight Struggle and Twilight Imperium are vastly different games. I doubt The Expanse can be like both of them. Here is another review that says it is like Twilight Struggle: First Impressions of The Expanse Board Game. Several other reviews mention Twilight Struggle but I didn't see any mention of Twilight Imperium.

Edit: I happened upon this interview with the designer Geoff Engelstein on BGG: I interviewed the game designer of The Expanse where he says:
Quote:
While there is a lot of military in The Expanse universe, mostly it is used for political posturing and brinksmanship. There is very little actual combat. This immediately reminded me of the Cold War, which leads one to Twilight Struggle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.