Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

The Football Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: German Translation Help - EVENTS - Das Fussball Spiel rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Pearson
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
Hello! Before posting, please make sure you read the latest Kickstarter update here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/357426702/the-football-...

This thread is for German language proof-reading of the Events in The Football Game / Das Fussball Spiel.

The source file is available in the files/uploads section here. Please still post replies to this thread and not there. Please leave comments, suggestions, edits or queries in reply form.

We'd like to catch ALL errors; punctuation, capitalisation, spelling, grammar...

Please ask if the English does not appear to read correctly. Some small text pieces have been omitted due to the formatting and transcription of the Event cards

Our sincerest thanks for your help.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
Some comments on the Events (Draft 2):

Concerning German Names:

Social Media Mishap - I don't really like the current translation (Social-Media-Verfehlung). How about "Blamage in sozialen Medien" or "Vorkommnis in sozialen Medien" or "Plauderei in sozialen Medien". I would like to hear some other German speakers' opinions on this. The intention is some Footballer writing stupid stuff on Facebook/Twitter I guess.

Apart from that, all names are well translated


Concerning German Effects:

"Lege einen Marker Schlechte Form auf dem Fußballer im betroffenen Kaderplatz." This sentence appears quite often and should be changed to "Lege einen Marker Schlechte Form auf den Fußballer im betroffenen Kaderplatz."

Footballer Rebellion: "2) Feuere deinen Trainer (befolge die "Trainer feuern"-Schritte) und stelle einen neuen ein." I think this should be "2) Feuere deinen Trainer (befolge die "Trainer feuern"-Schritte) und stelle einen Neuen ein." instead.


The rest of the texts seem good to me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
First of all, thanks for your input, Stefan!

danom wrote:
Some comments on the Events (Draft 2):

Concerning German Names:

Social Media Mishap - I don't really like the current translation (Social-Media-Verfehlung). How about "Blamage in sozialen Medien" or "Vorkommnis in sozialen Medien" or "Plauderei in sozialen Medien". I would like to hear some other German speakers' opinions on this. The intention is some Footballer writing stupid stuff on Facebook/Twitter I guess.


Hmm, if you want to express a footballer writing something stupid on social media then I think "Verfehlung" fits quite well. If you don't like the word "Verfehlung" we could go with something like "Entgleisung", "Fauxpas" or "Fehltritt". "Vorkommnis" or "Plauderei" doesn't quite express the right meaning here imho, since the card refers to a single player and not to a group if I understand correctly? Then your choice of terms would be a little too unspecific.


Quote:
Concerning German Effects:

"Lege einen Marker Schlechte Form auf dem Fußballer im betroffenen Kaderplatz." This sentence appears quite often and should be changed to "Lege einen Marker Schlechte Form auf den Fußballer im betroffenen Kaderplatz."


You are absolutely right, my bad.

Quote:
Footballer Rebellion: "2) Feuere deinen Trainer (befolge die "Trainer feuern"-Schritte) und stelle einen neuen ein." I think this should be "2) Feuere deinen Trainer (befolge die "Trainer feuern"-Schritte) und stelle einen Neuen ein." instead.


Here my version with the lower case "n" is correct, since the word "neuen" refers to the noun "Trainer" which is omitted to avoid a repetition. ("Feuere deinen Trainer (...) und stelle einen neuen [Trainer] ein.")


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
Thundi wrote:
First of all, thanks for your input, Stefan!

danom wrote:
Some comments on the Events (Draft 2):

Concerning German Names:

Social Media Mishap - I don't really like the current translation (Social-Media-Verfehlung). How about "Blamage in sozialen Medien" or "Vorkommnis in sozialen Medien" or "Plauderei in sozialen Medien". I would like to hear some other German speakers' opinions on this. The intention is some Footballer writing stupid stuff on Facebook/Twitter I guess.


Hmm, if you want to express a footballer writing something stupid on social media then I think "Verfehlung" fits quite well. If you don't like the word "Verfehlung" we could go with something like "Entgleisung", "Fauxpas" or "Fehltritt". "Vorkommnis" or "Plauderei" doesn't quite express the right meaning here imho, since the card refers to a single player and not to a group if I understand correctly? Then your choice of terms would be a little too unspecific.

"Verfehlung" is okay, I just don't like the use of the "Denglish" term "Social Media" - we do use it here nowadays, but the German "Soziale Medien" is also quite common and a better choice in my opinion, also I disliked the two "-" used With that in mind, do you have any new suggestion? "Entgleisung in sozialen Medien"?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
danom wrote:
"Verfehlung" is okay, I just don't like the use of the "Denglish" term "Social Media" - we do use it here nowadays, but the German "Soziale Medien" is also quite common and a better choice in my opinion, also I disliked the two "-" used With that in mind, do you have any new suggestion? "Entgleisung in sozialen Medien"?


I get your point and I'm also not a big Denglisch-Fan, but the term Social Media is actually part of the Duden since 2013 And combining the word with "-" is also the correct way to write it, since it's a noun-compound.

Anyway, forgive my "Klugscheißerei" We could go with "Entgleisung/Verfehlung/Fehltritt in den sozialen Medien" of course.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
Thundi wrote:
danom wrote:
"Verfehlung" is okay, I just don't like the use of the "Denglish" term "Social Media" - we do use it here nowadays, but the German "Soziale Medien" is also quite common and a better choice in my opinion, also I disliked the two "-" used With that in mind, do you have any new suggestion? "Entgleisung in sozialen Medien"?


I get your point and I'm also not a big Denglisch-Fan, but the term Social Media is actually part of the Duden since 2013 And combining the word with "-" is also the correct way to write it, since it's a noun-compound.

Anyway, forgive my "Klugscheißerei" We could go with "Entgleisung/Verfehlung/Fehltritt in den sozialen Medien" of course.

I know that it is correct, I was just not too fond of it ^^
Let us go with "Fehltritt in den sozialen Medien" then.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pearson
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
A new file should now be available (German_Event_Proofing_Überarbeitet 2.xlsx) uploaded 200717.

All suggestions above have been included A few things caught:

'Spieler' has been substituted out for 'Fußballer' where necessary in the following cards:

Transfer Request / Fußballer will weg
Academy Star / Nachwuchsstar
Bargain Bosman / Bosman-Schnäppchen
Free Transfer / Vertragsfreier Spieler
Card-Collector / Kartensammler
Cynical Challenge / Brutales Foul
Deliberate Hand-Ball / Absichtliches Handspiel
Blatant Dive / Offentsichtliche Schwalbe
Reckless Challenge / Rücksichtslose Grätsche
Dissent / Schiedsrichterbeleidigung
Professional Foul / Taktisches Foul
Retrospective Ban / Nachträgliche Sperre
Brush With The Law / Mit dem Gesetz in Konflikt geraten


Please have a look at the newest file to catch anything I've missed Cheers!

Mark




 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
The first two German names include text in bold font from corrections, which should be changed before printing it on the cards.

German effect of the first 3 cards should be:
"Bezüglich des Fußballers im betroffenen Kaderplatz kannst du ..." (no comma and "kannst" instead of "darfst")

Fan-Favourite
I noticed that this event and the player "Crowd Pleaser" were both translated with "Publikumsliebling". If you would like to change this, you could call the event "Liebling der Fans" instead.


I did not spot anything else
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
First: Have we decided on a way to go with "Gute Form" and "Schlechte Form" yet? Because on some cards it's in italics, on some it's not. Should be the same for all cards. In the rulebook the terms are always put in quotes, so I think this should also be the way to go for all the cards:

"Gute Form" | "Schlechte Form"

Bosman-Schnäppchen:
Wähle aus den auf dem Transfermarkt verfügbaren Fußballern den mit dem niedrigsten Punktwert aus und füge ihn kostenlos deinem Verein hinzu. (Bei Gleichstand darfst du selbst wählen.)

Offentsichtliche Schwalbe -> typo -> Offensichtliche Schwalbe (without the "t")


That's all I found.








1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pearson
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
Suggestions above included in a new file uploaded 230717 "German_Event_Proofing_Überarbeitet 3.xlsx"

Gute Form | Schlechte Form

All of these excel files will be saved as filetype .csv before being loaded into my cardmaker program. Italics, underlines, bold text, and font changes won't carry to the .csv file so they need not be fixed

I have now written all instances of Gute/Schlechte Form as "Gute Form" and "Schlechte Form".

Quote:
Fan-Favourite
I noticed that this event and the player "Crowd Pleaser" were both translated with "Publikumsliebling". If you would like to change this, you could call the event "Liebling der Fans" instead.


Good spot with this one! I am starting another thread related to the Footballer names

Cheers guys!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pearson
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
Hello!

I have uploaded a PDF of all events in context (just as with Tactics)

Please proofread at your leisure
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
MHPearson LonBoardCo wrote:
Hello!

I have uploaded a PDF of all events in context (just as with Tactics)

Please proofread at your leisure

Hey Mark,

On the cards with red background, "TARGET" should be "ZIEL".

On the first six cards:
Gute Form -> 'Gute Form'
Schlechte Form -> 'Schlechte Form'

Alot of cards have the expression "Wirf einen Würfel". Shouldn't there be some kind of specifictation, which die they are supposed to role, like "Wirf einen EVB-Würfel"?

Also on the two stretch goal cards, I think Patrick made a very good translation, since in German football stadions you usually only buy beer and sausages instead of pie. The problem is, that with this translation, the picture on the cards showing cakes don't match anymore.
There are three solutions that came to my mind:
- you could change both pictures of pie to sausage and beer (probably too much work)
- you could change both pictures to sausages and change the text of "run out of beer" to "run out of sausages" (same as above)
- you have to use a direct translation matching the cake pictures and cause some confusion amongst German players, that have never seen cakes/pies inside of a stadion

If you chose the third solution, you should change the text to
Title: Bester Stadionkuchen
Text: Dein Stadionkuchen wurde als bester der Liga prämiert. [...]

Title: Kuchenmangel
Text: exchange "Biermangel" with "Kuchenmangel" and "durstigen" with "hungrigen"

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pearson
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
Hi Stefan,
Quote:
Alot of cards have the expression "Wirf einen Würfel".


Thank you very much for catching this! Players should not be rolling additional dice ever. This is simply a misunderstanding. Please take note of this text in the rules:

Manche Ereignisse beziehen sich nicht auf einen Fußballer, sondern nutzen die Zahl auf dem Würfel für die Ausführung.

related to this example:


I have removed "Wirf einen Würfel" from each card. Above, if an Event 4 is rolled then the Player receives 8 million.

RE the stretch goal cards:

I also really like the Biermangel and Stadionwurst translations.

The difficulty is finding suitable (and royalty free!) artwork to use. With the immense pressure to get this to print ASAP, I'm afraid the artwork on these cards will have to stay as is I'm happy with the image simply depicting food (the english text is regarding pies, but the image includes cakes!) laugh



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Uhm, removing the "Wirf einen Würfel" does not really solve the problem, does it? In my opinion it's even worse. The term does not in any way suggest that one should roll an additional die as you stated, it's just too unspecific.

Like Stefan stated, you should instead add which die to roll. Like "Wirf einen EVB-Würfel" or "Wirf einen Verletzungs-Würfel" and so on.

About the other "loose end"-translations, I have a lot of work this week, so I probably won't be able to look at them before the weekend. It's still quite much to translate unfortunately
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pearson
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
You do not roll any dice after drawing the event.

If you have rolled an Event 4, you draw the event. If the event requires a number, you take the number on the die that has already been rolled (4).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pearson
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
Thundi wrote:
About the other "loose end"-translations, I have a lot of work this week, so I probably won't be able to look at them before the weekend. It's still quite much to translate unfortunately


That's no problem! thank you so much for your hard work already. I have managed to do a few of the translations already and will update the thread accordingly
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MHPearson LonBoardCo wrote:
You do not roll any dice after drawing the event.

If you have rolled an Event 4, you draw the event. If the event requires a number, you take the number on the die that has already been rolled (4).


Ahh, my bad. You are, of course, absolutely right.blush

The only thing we could think about would be to state on the card that you take the number from the already rolled event die. But that might make the text unnecessarily long and it's stated in the rules anyway.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.