Subject: Rpg system with green box ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gareth Cheesman
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
Simple rpg system using gbog. This might be more of a thought experiment then a full game but I wrote it down so other people could let me know what they think.

For when you want to rpg but don't have pencil and paper. You need one person to be the GM and craft the story outline and a group of players (up to 4)

Each player takes 20 cubes of a single colour and a tile of each symbol. The tiles act as your sheet. With each symbol representing a different stat. You will get to place some of your cubes on each tile/stat to make your character)
💧 represent health (put 5 cubes here as everyone starts with at least 5 base health)
Bricks represent defence (put 5 cubes here as everyone starts with at least 5 base defence)
⚒ represents strength
⬆️represents agility
⭕️ represents mental ability
3 circles represents social ability

You have 10 cubes left. Put one aside to be your player token (might be useful for some stories). Now distribute the other 9 across any of the 6 stats (maximum of 3 on any single stat). At this point think of what kind of character you want to play. A fast and charming thief or maybe a big tough brute? Maybe a clever mastermind who is surprisingly resilient. Put your stats wherever ever you want. Give you character a name and some backstory. Plus every character gets 3 abilities/skills/equipment depending on your setting. Maybe it's weapons swords/guns/lasers maybe it's magic or mental abilities. Maybe it is just skills like investigation or get away driving. Be creative but keep it simple and easy to memorise.

For the set up divide the deck of cards into a small pack of black and white cards (for the GM) and the 4 colours (for the players).

Let the GM set the scene and start playing. Deal 3 cards face up in front of each player. Instead of the traditional roll of dice players attempt to complete ability checks, attack rolls and saving throws using the cards in front of them. When called to complete a check a player selects a card from the 3 cards in front of themselves. As a basic approach you add the value on the card to the number of cubes on the relevant ability stat. Normally you can only play one card. However, if the colour of the card you play is the same as your player colour or the symbol on the card matches the ability stat you are checking, you may play another bonus card (any colour/symbol) to add to your ability check. The GM makes “rolls”/ability checks by drawing blind by the top of their black & white deck. Players must use all 3 cards infront of themselves before redrawing 3 new cards.

Tracking damage and health uses the cubes on your 💧 tile. Damage to creatures is calculated by rolling a d6 and adding the ability stat modifier. The DM keeping mental track of any enemies health.

(an alternative damage calculation is roll both d6 and calculate the difference between the 2 numbers. This generates a more consistent level of damage with more occasional spikes) ️

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen Brunborg-Næss
Norway
Son
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Very cool idea!! :-)

When you use all the cubes to generate the starting stats, there's no room for experience points and level ups. Maybe health and/or defense could be tracked some other way to free up more cubes.

Also, I feel that using the cards as fixed "skills" or abilities in some way would be cool, but using them for action resolution is a good, and original, idea. As opposed to just using dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When I improvise a RPG session, the only thing I use is : pen, paper, and 1 die.

Still, you are a bajillion times right that the GBOG can support an RPG session in many ways.

- PC stats, as you suggested
- cards as resources, as you suggested

But also for instance

- tiles as dungeon maps (with PCs being cubes of a given color)
- tiles as monsters, and cards as dungeon maps

There are many possibilities, but it would be nice to develop a specific RPG using the GBOG components.

You could also create a mini skirmish game with it, I'm sure

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls