Popular Tags: [View All]
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Friend of mine just posted on myface that they just had game night, featuring monopoly.

i would like to recommend/purchase some games that they might enjoy.
This is a nongamer family.

my initial thought was maybe sushi go, no thanks and for sale, but they are 7 and 9 boys, so i'm open to recommendations

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
No Thanks might be too mathy/bland looking for them (I love it, but I'm not sure it's going to turn the knobs for a 7 year old). Sushi Go / Sushi Go Party sounds like a great call.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nestor Ivanor
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Sequence or Sorry!.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lettner
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
King of Tokyo

You can get the parents interested with it being similar to Yahtzee, but the boys with monsters hitting each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lazy Mountain

Colorado
msg tools
mb
Kingdomino
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dutch

Indiana
msg tools
mb
Jamaica - Probably the perfect gateway game for them, once they get past the sticker shock.

ICECOOL - can't go wrong with this dexterity game. Equally fun for adults and kids.

+1 Sushi Go! - The silliness works well with that age range.

Roll For It!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mb
For Sale

Or a huge hit with my own kids:

Loony Quest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd only give them something if you can be sure the parents are willing and interested in trying new games. Without their active involvement, chances are your purchase will just sit on their shelf and gather dust.

I tried this once: we went to a distant relative's house for Xmas eve and their 9 yo son excitedly showed me his collection of tattered mass market board games (Monopoly, Sorry, Game of Life, Candyland, etc). He explained that he loved playing boardgames but nobody wanted to play with him. I'd brought Rhino Hero and we all played that after dinner. Everyone had fun with it so, I thought I'd send them a couple of easy gateways as a gift, mostly so the poor kid would have something the parents might enjoy playing. I sent them Splendor and Forbidden Island. Two years go by, and I ask my Mother (who is in touch with the family) whether they played the games. She replied that no they hadn't. They had tried to play Splendor, but couldn't figure out the rules... Now I'm a heavy gamer so maybe I'm prejudiced, but I don't think Splendor's rules are any more complicated than Monopoly or Game of Life. I think the real problem was that the parents just had no interest in learning and playing any new game, even when it was handed to them for free and their child wanted to play it. As the old cowboys say, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make em drink!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride
King of Tokyo
Castle Panic
Sorry! Sliders

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vanda Paladino
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhino Hero! Everyone loves Rhino Hero!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dutch

Indiana
msg tools
mb
quill65 wrote:
Now I'm a heavy gamer so maybe I'm prejudiced, but I don't think Splendor's rules are any more complicated than Monopoly or Game of Life. I think the real problem was that the parents just had no interest in learning and playing any new game, even when it was handed to them for free and their child wanted to play it. As the old cowboys say, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make em drink!

I can share this sentiment. It's not that the rules to Splendor are necessarily complicated, but it might be daunting if there's not a foundation to relate it to. It's different enough that it's not familiar.

Years ago, I started playing Catan. As I looked for a new game, I saw 7 Wonders was highly rated and I bought it. I read the rules and it made no sense to me. It has literally sat on the shelf for 4 years. In that time sense then, having played over 100 games with exposures to different mechanics, I read the rules again a couple of weeks ago and thought, "This makes perfect sense."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.