Subject: Quest Fail -- Keep Rank/SP/Loot or Restart? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hector Garza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Left a quest unfinished last night and I can't help but think I'm going to fail for the first time. I have got so many orcs raiders and gremlins on me right now and rolling like crap I'll probably end up running out of event cards.

I as just curious for those you who have had the pleasure of failing a quest did you decide to keep your ranks and loot you got during that quest before you died or did you start with the stuff you had before starting?

I know it's optional and I didn't think it would make a huge difference if I kept everything. I did find the Elven Armor which is nifty and certainly don't wanna give it up but then I thought if I kept it and found another piece of awesome loot it would feel broken and possibly become too overpowered. I also got one of the Soul treasures - definitely will give myself another one of those.

What have you all done?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin Lo
msg tools
mbmb
I always restart when I failed a quest. I feel more satisfaction if I beat the game with how it was designed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rezard Vareth
United States
flag msg tools
alvinltlo wrote:
I always restart when I failed a quest. I feel more satisfaction if I beat the game with how it was designed.
But it was designed with both options in mind!

Hasn't happened to me, but I would base it on why I lost. If it was clearly due to resources, and I now have more, I'd keep. If it was just that I screwed up or got horrendous luck, I'd probably restart.

If I kept, I'd probably not get another soul weapon. The treasures I would keep though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alvinltlo wrote:

This seems backwards to me. Accepting the consequences of the soul points and equipment you lost from being killed is playing the game as designed. Just taking a free reset means you are avoiding the consequences (even though it's an option in the rulebook).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
(even though it's an option in the rulebook).

And your definition of "as designed" is...

whistle

In all seriousness, though, you could also frame it that retrying the quest with the state of your heroes at the end of the quest is also avoiding consequences, since you could easily come out with new Treasure (as long as it's equipped), more Soul Points in the bank, etc. Just depends on how things went.

What's important is picking one approach before you start and sticking to it. Otherwise you're just gaming the system to your own benefit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's at all likely that you will gain more than you lose in the course of a defeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gorka Morka
Germany
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
I don't think it's at all likely that you will gain more than you lose in the course of a defeat.

Depends. If you're playing really cautious and lose by running out if time I see no problem in ending the quest with more XP/gold/items. But both ways have their ups and downs. Just like Skaak said, just choose one and stick to it.

Regards, Gorkar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Garza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
DaviddesJ wrote:

It seems that way. I'm gonna go with keeping everything this time around and see how it turns out.

Money: Yes I gathered a bit but will end up spending it on the same resources I had wasted and started with (bandages, forging, etc) so very little difference.

Soul Points: Starting with much less this time however one of my heroes is one rank higher so balances out I think.

Treasure: This is the one that I thought would be an issue since I'm starting with better armor and could potentially find more. However since I had failed anyway it could be argued that I will now have a better chance to win. Kind of reminds me of grinding in a way.

Soul Treasure: This one seems obvious that only one was meant to be found since it's part of the story and not a random draw from the treasure deck. I think for this I will put it back for heroes to pick up again as part of the quest but will not randomize this time and keep same one I drew originally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorkar wrote:
Depends. If you're playing really cautious and lose by running out if time I see no problem in ending the quest with more XP/gold/items.

This is a fair point. Obviously you could go very slowly and cautiously and not die, but just run out of time. And then if you keep what you pick up you will be stronger, not weaker. However, I wouldn't play like that, so this won't come up, for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
During a 2 player game last week we both goth killed, losing the game and almost everything we owned. (We got smashed from our first monster spawn which one of those spawned another one from its power, it was brutal, I took 10 damage from 1 encounter card, my gf's assassin followed before I could resurrect).
With no gold, no health potions (we play without a healer, so we really need these for healing), losing a bow, a dagger and my great axe, we really struggled after that. Redoing the quest was very very hard and Imho not so fun.

I'm not a fan of the rewind option, but the penalty for losing from dying is very very high atm. Not sure how we'll do it next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another variant would be to replay the quest with the consequences, but have the equipment you lost when you died still on the floor so you can pick it up when you get back there. A lot of video games work that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.