Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I could not do the subject matter justice but would like some commentary from those more knowledgeable than myself deeper than, "That's why The Sun cannot be sold in Liverpool."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gudjon Torfi Sigurdsson
Iceland
Isafjordur
Isafjardarbaer
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In short, this is what I know:

The Match Commander (of the police), David Duckenfield, will be charged with manslaughter.

Five other will be charged with various charges depending on the persons (gross neglience, misconduct in a public office, perverting the course of justice and more).

Duckenfield was the one who gave the order to open the gates into the stands, which led to overcrowding and thus the disaster. The others gave false testimony about how the events had unfolded and how the Liverpool fans had behaved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Apostle Green
United States
Lake County
Illinois
flag msg tools
That is not dead which can eternal lie
mbmbmbmbmb
28 years later???????
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gudjon Torfi Sigurdsson
Iceland
Isafjordur
Isafjardarbaer
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, 28 years later. It's a sad story all round.

There was an inquiry back in 1991 which found that the primary cause was the failure of police control in the stadium. Yet their verdict was accidental death.

Then there was the Hillsborough Independent Panel which led to the original verdict being nulled in 2012 and thus new inquests that determined last year (in April) that 96 victims had been killed and Liverpool fans had not been to blame. Since then there have been criminal investigations and finally these charges.

The Panel's findings were a huge relief for the relatives of the 96, and even more so the results of the inquests. I think they can finally foresee some kind of closure for this event, although the court proceedings will probably take years of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
theapostlegreen wrote:
28 years later???????

It's taken that long due to the police cover up. Most of the charges relate to the cover up not the deaths.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon_1066 wrote:
theapostlegreen wrote:
28 years later???????

It's taken that long due to the police cover up.

With complicity from a certain portion of the press.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Apostle Green
United States
Lake County
Illinois
flag msg tools
That is not dead which can eternal lie
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. What a horrible situation. I hope any survivors and families of victims can see justice done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a good NY Times explainer on this today:

Why Britain is consumed with a 28-year-old stadium disaster
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.