Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I am now well over 1000 plays of this game. I reached the point where I could win 80-90% at level 2 or 3, and approaching 30-40% at level 5. But just recently I've tweaked my strategy a bit and this new approach is getting me lots of wins at level 5, some of those scoring 130+.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The typical advice to newbies is to avoid taking more cards than necessary, because that will cause your Robinson deck to cycle faster, making you face more aging cards. Since I was winning fairly often, and focusing more on raising my score, I realized that a good way to boost my score was to get rid of as many aging cards as possible. That means throwing the newbie advice out the window and running through the fighting deck as many times as possible.

Not on the first pass through, of course. That first pass is still all about eliminating the -1s and as many of the zeros as possible, while trying to get the best cards into my deck. In the green phase, I prioritize getting cards in this order:

Equipment
Food
Realization
Deception
Weapon(2)
Mimicry
Repeat
Weapon(4)
Strategy
Vision
Books (somewhat higher IF it appears late in the phase)

I almost never pay life for extra cards during this first pass. I simply draw cards until I win or hit the limit, and then cull as best I can if I've lost.

Starting with the second pass, the remainder of the Green phase is the key period of the game. The hazard priority changes only slightly, in that I will attempt larger foes a little more readily. I will sometimes pay life for an additional card or two, if the hazard is high on the list, but I will also take some losses to continue culling the "weak" cards.

The Yellow phase is where my new approach really kicks in. Ideally I have acquired both Equipment cards, and at least 3 Realizations (destroy). Any other cards that let me draw or exchange cards are a bonus. From this point on, I use every opportunity to draw as many fighting cards as possible. Take all the free cards I'm allowed, always draw 2 with Equipment, always use exchange cards. Anything that lets me draw another card without paying a life point, I do it. Yes, I get lots of aging cards, but with lots of destroy and exchange cards coming out, I can deal with them.

By the late Yellow, and all of the Red Phase, hazard selection is purely a matter of taking whichever one has the most points, in order to boost my deck value for the final score. Beyond the early Yellow phase, I very rarely lose a fight.

Using this strategy, I usually get to the pirate battles with plenty of life in reserve, and few, if any, aging cards left in my deck. With luck, I can win the battles while spending a minimum of life on cards, and use my life boosting cards to try and max out my life just before finishing off the last pirate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len K
United States
Westford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You were expecting something witty?
mbmbmbmbmb
dmoser22 wrote:
OK, I am now well over 1000 plays of this game. I reached the point where I could win 80-90% at level 2 or 3, and approaching 30-40% at level 5. But just recently I've tweaked my strategy a bit and this new approach is getting me lots of wins at level 5, some of those scoring 130+.

This is similar to my strategy as well. I win about 60% on Level 5. I try to get as many Destroy cards during Green phase as possible. Once I'm through the Robinson deck the first time, for the rest of the Green phase, if I have no overriding hazard priority I will pick the 'larger' card in an effort to cycle the deck. I would rather face larger values in Green and save the 'smaller' ones for Yellow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Jacksonville Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1000 plays in. Wow. I lost interest once you discover the culling trick for the green phase through the deck. At that point every other play was just dependent on card flips and I got rid of the game soon after.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.