Arena: For the Gods!» Forums » General

Subject: Bidding ties rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy Nguyen
United States
California
flag msg tools
If a tie occurs during the equipment then the players can either decide whether to agree on what cards to take or just randomly shuffle and pass out what they think is best.

For some reason this rule in itself just really bothers me. The fact that ties will more or less be pretty common in a blind bid especially with higher player counts makes it worse.

Im thinking of adding a new tiebreaker something along the lines of:

1. Have multiple rounds of blind bidding until there is no more tie. Once you place the bid, you continue to bid additional cubes until there is no tie. In the case that all included players in the sequential bids bid 0, then refer to original tie breaker rules.

At least this way you have a chance of getting card you want. You could either spend more cubes, or just bid 0 and risk getting it random.

Not sure this is the best idea, but it seems like the one shot auction makes the auction phase a little frustrating, since its really easy to tie and thus making the equipment phase all a little too random and punishing/luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaldo Horta Jr
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rollandtwo wrote:
If a tie occurs during the equipment then the players can either decide whether to agree on what cards to take or just randomly shuffle and pass out what they think is best.

For some reason this rule in itself just really bothers me. The fact that ties will more or less be pretty common in a blind bid especially with higher player counts makes it worse.

1. Have multiple rounds of blind bidding until there is no more tie. Once you place the bid, you continue to bid additional cubes until there is no tie. In the case that all included players in the sequential bids bid 0, then refer to original tie breaker rules.

At least this way you have a chance of getting card you want. You could either spend more cubes, or just bid 0 and risk getting it random.

Not sure this is the best idea, but it seems like the one shot auction makes the auction phase a little frustrating, since its really easy to tie and thus making the equipment phase all a little too random and punishing/luck.

I am ok with the punishing/luck thing...at it's heart this is a light dice-chucker with s little more tactical control than something like King of Tokyo. Adding extra rounds of bidding makes this even longer and then I would probably have better things to play.

Now, one improvement I would lie to see...I wish that you would put out all 4 sets of equipment out at the beginning so you could plan in advance. There might be weapons that aren't great by themselves, but do have a synergy with a particular spell or mount. Thus I could decide whether I am all in for the equipment, or if I want to save up for that neat spell later...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Batten
msg tools
mbmbmb
Diarmud wrote:
Rollandtwo wrote:

I am ok with the punishing/luck thing...at it's heart this is a light dice-chucker with s little more tactical control than something like King of Tokyo. Adding extra rounds of bidding makes this even longer and then I would probably have better things to play.

Now, one improvement I would lie to see...I wish that you would put out all 4 sets of equipment out at the beginning so you could plan in advance. There might be weapons that aren't great by themselves, but do have a synergy with a particular spell or mount. Thus I could decide whether I am all in for the equipment, or if I want to save up for that neat spell later...

If that extra small round of tiebreaker bidding makes the time difference between playing this game and not, I feel like you didn't actually want to play this game in the first place...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaldo Horta Jr
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ElasticPanda wrote:
Diarmud wrote:
Rollandtwo wrote:

If that extra small round of tiebreaker bidding makes the time difference between playing this game and not, I feel like you didn't actually want to play this game in the first place...

Agreed! I think that some people's issue with this game is that they want it to be more of a "gamer's game" than it is. If I want a heavier skirmish game, I have plenty of choices. This game hits a nice light game niche, in the vein of Gekido and Ultimate Warriorz, and I think that I like it better because the tactical positioning actually matters...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Nazzari
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We just had tied players roll dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.