Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Mann
United Kingdom
Swavesey
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mb
So, I bought my copy of The Football Game at the UK Games Expo, and finally got it to the table at our weekly group meeting.

We play a very wide range of games, of all varieties and style, and so we were interested to see how this game worked out.

GAME LENGTH & DOWN TIME
We played the five player version of the game with the shorter turn track and the game took us a little over 2 hours 30 minutes to play! During that two and a half hours we found that players spent a considerable time 'down', with little else to do other than occasionally switch cards between the subs bench and starting team line up. Even with the use of Tactics cards, player interaction was rather limited, and there never seemed to be a sense of urgency or building excitement. In fact the last two player turns were played through with almost no conversation or real activity.

This 'down time' really is a big turn off for us. At times some of the players were checking their emails and Facebook on their phones!

TURN SEQUENCE UN-FAVOURS FIRST PLAYER
It seems that the turn sequence immediately puts the first (and then progressively the 2nd, 3rd etc.) player at a disadvantage. Although the first player does get the first opportunity to buy a player from the Transfer Market, they are also more likely to have players sidelined through Injury or Knocks for the WHOLE of a round. This doesn't even itself out during the game! There is a diminishing effect on players as the turn passes around the table, and in the last round the player going last suffers no impact from this at all. This potentially leaves the first player suffering FOUR more matches with a depleted First Team than the last player. That is difficult to justify.

INTERACTION

At first glance the game appears to offer some real possibilities for interaction between players through the use of Tactics cards. But this becomes a very passive kind of interaction, and doesn't build any kind of tension in the game. The Tactics cards and Events cards are really far too repetitive.

FINAL THOUGHTS & IDEAS
All of us playing the game felt that there is a really good game trying to get out of the box, but that it is trapped by the long periods of inactivity and the excessive randomness of the dice and cards.

Randomness is not necessarily a bad thing, but the game doesn't offer enough opportunity for calculation and risk taking.

This is the first time when we have played a game and everybody has agreed that they wish we had played something else BUT all agreed that with some tweaks to the rules the game could be very good.

Our early rules variation ideas:

1. Scrap the 'Active Player' . In each turn every player has the opportunity to do all of the 'Active Player' action - using a turn order.

2. Players only select their 'First Team' once the Match Dice have been rolled. This encourages players to risk packing a game with their best players to get a good result.

3. Every player suffers the EIK dice results! These are taken into account before the Match Score is calculated. Players risk losing team members to Knocks and Injury.

4. Unavailable players come straight back to the squad at the start of the next round and Injured players are rolled for as well.

5. Simply play the full 6 turn game, with everybody playing each turn simultaneously. Even at 10 to 12 minutes per round the game will come in at around 60 to 90 minutes.

We would love to know what others thought of the game and of our variants. We plan to try them out later in the week, and will let you know how it went.

The Games Table

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GAME LENGTH & DOWN TIME - My 2p games have run between 90-120 minutes, so I'm pretty convinced that I'd be capping my plays of this at 4p max. I really enjoy it with 2p and probably would with 3p as well. Even with 4p, it might run long for me. There aren't many games that I like to play with 5-6p and I'm pretty sure that this wouldn't be one of them.

TURN SEQUENCE UN-FAVOURS FIRST PLAYER - Not something I've really noticed in a 2p game since it seems like a fair trade off to have one extra turn of a potential injury/knock to get first crack at transfers. I'd note that in a 5p game, the transfer market might be down to 1 footballer (or none) by the time you go, so that would even that out. Additionally, I'd recommend playing by the variant of sitting in initial team class order - again the stronger teams would be the ones weakened.

INTERACTION - I think the interaction is just fine. You can hurt your opponent(s) without crippling them. Also, while we have experienced the occasional repeated event, I wouldn't say that they are repetitive to the point where they aren't fun.

FINAL THOUGHTS & IDEAS - I've touched on your downtime concerns, something that can be an issue in any game with more players. Any time you have random events and dice-rolling, someone is going to complain about it. Personally, I love having to deal with tactical issues of "making the best" out of what happens. Complete, perfect information games is not a mechanic I care for at all.

In the end, it's your game, so you can play with whatever variants you want, but for me, the game is cool and enjoyable as-is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi David,

I noticed a problem with the lengthy play and lack of player scalability in my first game review in the general section.

I believe that there should be a fixed number of games per round. It does not make sense to have 2 games per round in a 2 Player game and then 4 or even 6 games per round in the 6 Player game. The duration should be broadly the same whatever the number of players.

The natural conclusion is to remove the necessity for every player to have a game as the only active player.

Allowing everyone to perform the special abilities of the active player simultaneously in every game is definitely the right solution as you have indicated.

Playing two games per round, over the shortened four rounds, for a total of 8 matches, seems about the right amount of time for this game.

The main problem to overcome is the use of EIK dice. IMHO they are too severe on injuries and knocks so potentally picking up two of these per match could make the game unplayable: losing 4 players out of a 7 man squad, in one round.

I would be tempted to lessen the effects of knocks and injuries as follows:

Knocks mean that a player can't be used for any bonuses this matchday but are eligible to play in the next match.

Injuries, like knocks, can't be used for bonuses this matchday. However, at the start of the next matchday, players can start rolling the injury die, to return the player to the team. If they fail to roll a high enough number on the injury die you have two options:
A) do as per the standard game and add a bonus marker and wait until the next Match day to reroll
Or
B) bring the player back into the squad early but add negative form markers for the shortfall in the dice throw. E.g. add -1, if short by 1 or three -1 markers if short by 3 etc. So even an injured player can play without missing a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dandlmann wrote:

1. Scrap the 'Active Player' . In each turn every player has the opportunity to do all of the 'Active Player' action - using a turn order.

2. Players only select their 'First Team' once the Match Dice have been rolled. This encourages players to risk packing a game with their best players to get a good result.

3. Every player suffers the EIK dice results! These are taken into account before the Match Score is calculated. Players risk losing team members to Knocks and Injury.

4. Unavailable players come straight back to the squad at the start of the next round and Injured players are rolled for as well.

5. Simply play the full 6 turn game, with everybody playing each turn simultaneously. Even at 10 to 12 minutes per round the game will come in at around 60 to 90 minutes.

We would love to know what others thought of the game and of our variants. We plan to try them out later in the week, and will let you know how it went.

Great ideas here. Would you play one match per round?

Really interesting idea to roll dice before before selecting first team. When would you play pre match cards? After the die roll with the matchday cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.