Subject: Player Order Tokens rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This variant is designed to allow for a more tactical match. In footballing terms, you are ordering your players to either move up or move back to support players in various parts of the field. Think of it either as a change in strategy: to be more aggressive or defensive, or maybe a change in formation. Playing multiple tokens on a player determines the degree to which you want that player to play deeper or push upfield.

For this variant you will need 3 tokens per player. Anything that clearly points in one direction will do. I made these with some labels and some poker chips.

At the start of the game place all Player Order Tokens in a central Pool. Players do not start with any.

Then, at the start of each Pre-Match phase every player has the option buy up to 3, one use, Player Order Tokens for the cost of 1 Tactic Card each, which must be discarded.

Prior to the dice roll, all players may place one or two Player Order Tokens between any of the first team footballers.

Up to 2 order tokens can be played on any one footballer, providing their current form (after all adjustments) does not fall below zero.

The Player Order Tokens each transfer 1 form point from the source footballer to the target footballer for the current match. Note it should be clear which direction the order token is pointing.

For instance the example in the image shows:
Slot 1 - 4 point blue defender
Slot 2 - 2 point blue defender
Slot 3 - 4 point red midfielder
Slot 4 - 4 point yellow attacker

Player A wants to make use of their Counter Attack card.
They place two player orders on the slot 3 midfielder to offer 2 points of support to the Slot 4 Attacker.
They also place one order token on the Slot 2 defender to offer one point of support to the Slot 1 defender.

Before playing the counter attack card, the scoring players in these slots, would potentially score as follows:
Slot 1 will score 4+1
Slot 2 will score 2-1
Slot 3 will score 4-2
Slot 4 will score 4+2

Assuming a blue and yellow die are rolled, if the player now plays the Counter Attack card they will score (5+0+0+6) x 2 = 22

After the game is scored, any played Player Order Tokens are discarded back to the general Pool of tokens. These will become available to be bought at the next pre-match.

Any unplaced Player Order Tokens are kept by the player but no more than 3 Player Orders can be owned by any Player, at any time during the game.

This allows for a lot more tactical changes to the set up without impacting on the game balance. After all, you are merely redistributing the same number of form points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Player Orders
Got to test the player order token tonight. Really enjoyed the many tactical ways that they can be used.

I managed to win as Champions with a class C team. A class B team finished runners up after spending most of the game in the top 3 spots.

Felt that the player orders were probably giving too much of an advantage. It's hard to say as I twice got lucky with events that gave me an extra 25m to spend.

I would consider making them a one use only before being discarded but allowing every player to buy up to three Player Order Tokens at the start of the pre match.

Each Player Order Token would cost one Tactic card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.