Subject: Wait - no draw ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tisseur de rêves
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi.
After my first game, I'm a bit confused over the possibility to wait, instead of moving.

Let's say I have 4 cards in hand, and choose to discard 3 to the obstacles discard. I have 1 left, and I move to phase 6. Therefore, do I rightly assume there will be no hand replenishing ? Meaning I'll start the next turn with only a single card in my hand ?

If that's the case, I don't quite get the point of doing so instead of using the bulk cards, since they'll go the obstacles discard anyway...

Thanks for your help !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Glowacz
Poland
Wrocław
Dolnośląskie
flag msg tools
designer
Nintendo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tisseur_de_reves wrote:
Hi.
After my first game, I'm a bit confused over the possibility to wait, instead of moving.

Let's say I have 4 cards in hand, and choose to discard 3 to the obstacles discard. I have 1 left, and I move to phase 6. So therefore, there will be no hand replenishing ? Meaning I'll start the next turn with only a single card in my hand ?

If that's the case, I don't quite get the point of doing so instead of using the bulk cards, since they'll go the obstacles discard anyway...

Thanks for your help !

When you decided to "wait" you discard cards then you of course refill your hand (that is the point of this action). You progress the line by 1 card, check the line and start new turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tisseur de rêves
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that so ? I mean, sure, refilling my hand with more convenient cards sounds nice, but there is nothing in the rules allowing this.

Quote:
You may discard as many cards as you like from your hand. These cards go into the Obstacles Discard. Yo can't discard Bullet Cards this way. Then take the Obstacle from the start of the Line (the one on the right, next to the Obstacles discard) and put it in your Player Discard. After you have done that, move straight to phase 6 (Obstacle Abilities)

Hand refilling occurs in phase 3, so according to the rules, it is entirely skipped when I wait. And there is no mention whatsoever of refilling my hand at any point after discarding cards...

Also, the rules specify, a bit earlier on :

Quote:
On every level that you will be trying to complete, you take a series of turns, each divided into 7 phases. Depending on your choice in the first phase, you will either resolve only 3 of those 7 phases, or all of them.

So if I wait, I get to do phase 1 (choosing to wait), 6 (obstacle abilities) and 7 (Refill the line).

Therefore my question still stands : what's the point of waiting ?
Is there something in the rulebook I have missed ? Or is it something actually missing ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Correia
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just checked and you're right, looks like that is missing from the rulebook. When you wait you can discard from your hand (except for bullets) and it refills if you're under four cards, the last obstacle card in the line is discarded and the obstacle's abilities activate.

Waiting gives you a chance to prepare for the next turn and take advantage of some obstacle abilities you want to keep in the line as long as you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tisseur de rêves
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, that makes much more sense and therefore becomes a really powerful option. Thanks for answering so quickly, and congrats on the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Correia
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you and have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Is discarding mandatory during "wait"? The rulebook says "as many as you want" (or "eine beliebige Anzahl" - "any amount" if my German serves me right), which, in my book, also amounts to none at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
This seems to be a major oversight that greatly affects gameplay. Will there be a revised rulebook available to download?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Correia
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
Is discarding mandatory during "wait"? The rulebook says "as many as you want" (or "eine beliebige Anzahl" - "any amount" if my German serves me right), which, in my book, also amounts to none at all.

Discarding is optional during "Wait".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Manuel!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Gärtner
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
gr9yfox wrote:
When you wait you can discard from your hand (except for bullets) and it refills if you're under four cards, the last obstacle card in the line is discarded and the obstacle's abilities activate.

What do you mean with "the last obstacle card?"

In the german rulebook it is the first card in the line (slot 6) and in the english rulebook it is the last card next to the discard pile (slot 1).

please clarify. thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Correia
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The line scrolls from left to right, so the first card is the one right after the obstacles deck and the last card is the one right before the obstacles discard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Gärtner
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
gr9yfox wrote:
The line scrolls from left to right, so the first card is the one right after the obstacles deck and the last card is the one right before the obstacles discard.

I have to ask again. The German rule and the English rule are contradicting, in my opinion. Please look at the two screenshots. How is it exactly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Correia
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't read the German rules but that does appear to be a mistake in the English version. The action is correct, you're supposed to discard the rightmost card in the line. The mistake is purely in the name, as that's the End of the line and not the Start.

As for the German version, I asked Board & Dice to check with their translator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
gr9yfox wrote:
I can't read the German rules.

Click it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Correia
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
gr9yfox wrote:
I can't read the German rules.

Click it.

I might live here, but I don't speak German.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Correia
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

I created a thread in order to clarify this topic. Please check it here.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Lemay
Canada
Montréal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
gr9yfox wrote:
Just checked and you're right, looks like that is missing from the rulebook. When you wait you can discard from your hand (except for bullets) and it refills if you're under four cards, the last obstacle card in the line is discarded and the obstacle's abilities activate.

Waiting gives you a chance to prepare for the next turn and take advantage of some obstacle abilities you want to keep in the line as long as you can.

But what is the use of this... You'll get all "bad effects" from obstacles in the line... bullets and bullets... No?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico Latini
Italy
Bologna
Emilia Romagna
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for this clarification, I basically ignored the wait option for the whole game, still managed to win though (too easy!!!)
I'll try the right wait action for a infinite mode (infinite levels)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.