Subject: [BAM] The Books-A-Million clearance spotting thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anna F.
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Over here we (I) kind of decided that Books-A-Million needs a clearance spotting thread like B&N has periodically, so here it is. BAM currently has game clearances going on. I don't get there super regularly so I don't know how their clearances work, but from the in-store signage there was something about "100 days of sales" whatever that means.

Anyway, the following titles were seen deeply discounted at the Jackson, MS location:

Machi Koro - $15
Concept - $15
Dead of Winter -$?
Seafall -$40
Smash Up -$15
King of Tokyo -$20?
Many Munchkin titles
Cthulhu Dice - $4
Pandemic Contagion
The Duke - $15
Small World
Spyfall
Ultimate Werewolf Daybreak - $10?

And others that are now forgotten about.

Please add titles/locations and/or info about how BAM sales/clearance works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
justin barnhill
United States
Oxford
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BAM sales are very very hit/miss....also; they do not match online prices at all period. so if you see a title full price online; that doesn't mean it isn't available at your local store for a discount.

their online inventory system doesn't interact with store inventory either....so other than calling (which isn't reliable as their employees, on average, know nothing about games), the best way to hunt for these mark downs is to go to the store.

they are also pretty bad about stickering sale items....and their register system often won't reflect these sale prices. i picked up a copy of Sheriff of Nottingham for $15 and it rang up for $25....the clerk only marked it down b/c of the sticker.

i worked at BAM corporate years ago and i'm pretty sure they've not changed/addressed these issuses as they still use the same register system.

my local BAM is being converted to a 2nd and charles next month....which may be a growing trend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My local BAM is the same. Very sporadic and inconsistent clearance items. It looks to me like if they have 4 copies of something, one of them is on clearance and the other three are not. Plus I find that some clearance items are on the shelf with a clearance sticker while a bin is just 10 feet away.

I always check my BAM when I'm in the area because when something goes on clearance it's usually a pretty good discount but I never go there with the expectation of finding anything in particular.

Just a couple nights ago I saw Reverse Charades there for $7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The BAM in Montgomery AL is terrible. I mean, if you want to "slash" the prices on games, then do it. I don't consider $70 for Seafall a good deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Marowske
United States
Macomb
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hate to be "that guy" but it sounds like this thread should be in the Discussing Retailers section, and not Hot Deals. No prices are listed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
esquire468 wrote:
Hate to be "that guy" but it sounds like this thread should be in the Discussing Retailers section, and not Hot Deals. No prices are listed.

Quick, just add some off the cuff prices and the post can stay!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna F.
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sag0016 wrote:
esquire468 wrote:

Quick, just add some off the cuff prices and the post can stay!

Done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna F.
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like I might have hit the jackpot at that store then. I was in game sale heaven.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
justin barnhill
United States
Oxford
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
they may be converting it....i think they are making a pivot for the whole chain honestly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perrin Stewart
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does a BAM that has already been converted to 2nd & Charles run these sales as well? Or just ones that are still BAM?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
justin barnhill
United States
Oxford
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
who knows...there isn't any real coordination within BAM for sales now, lol.

2nd and charles, while owned by the same group, is a completely indie company.....so if you are asking if these titles, since on sale at some BAM's, are on sale at 2nd and charles; i'd guess no. ive never seen that in the past.

also; 2nd and charles stock varies greatly store to store...i've been in a few locations that had just a handful of games while others are better stocked than my local FLGS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Dickman
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
My local BAM has had games on clearance for the last few months, though I haven't been there recently. If I think about it, I'll check it out tomorrow.

Last time I went I got Dead of Winter: Long Night for $35. The plastic wrap was sticky, like someone spilled something on it and let it dry, but it was the only copy left so I got it. Took it home and found there were no dice, no rulebook, a good chunk of the cards were missing (including all the Crossroads cards) and possibly some of the punchboards (I was going off a PDF copy of the rulebook online so I'm not sure what all was missing). Contacted Asmodee, complete with pictures and stuff and they were no help, just told me to return it to the store. Thankfully they took it back and I got a full refund. So I don't know if I bought a rewrapped/returned copy or what, hopefully they didn't put it back out again for someone else.

I haven't been back since then, which was like a month or so ago. But before that I bought Fuse for $20. Lots of copies of One Night Ultimate Werewolf and Resistance in the bins. Orphan Black Card Game was like $10 or $15. I'm going off a month-plus-old memory here though.

EDIT - Went back last night. Nothing new from last time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McDaniels
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got back from the BAM in Cuyahoga Falls, OH off of Howe Rd. Picked up Smallworld for $30 and Dead of Winter for $35.

Lots of games on the shelves, but the ones I saw on sale are:
Machi Koro - $20 (Box is quite beat up...)
King of New York - $25
Dead of Winter Long Night - $35
Smash Up - $15

That's all I saw that was marked down. The games that are on sale are mixed in with all of the others. The ones on sale just have a sticker on the corner...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Wood
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen sales at 2nd and Charles. They have some similar problems. They do have used games, and I saw new versions of Prosperity for $29 and used ones for $49. I've seen this same game marked with two different prices and when I mentioned it at the register they said "we just sell it for what it is marked at." I saw a couple of examples of that this weekend with used games more expensive than new.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boniface
United States
Melbourne
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked up Dead of Winter Long Night (discounted to $35) and Mystic Vale (discounted to $25). After adding in my membership discount I paid $57 after tax.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Shannon Berry
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huntsville, AL has World's Fair 1893 and ONUW Daybreak each for $15.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget that if you're a member they email $5 off $25 coupons every week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Jeffers
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the Sevierville, TN location, there were a couple of Mystic Vales marked down to $25. (CSI $31, Amazon $30)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.