Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Variants

Subject: The Chairman + Operative (VoM) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maciej Stępiński
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chairman has a nasty reputation of being one of the, if not THE, hardest battles in the game. Many tried to make it a bit easier, but I haven't seen anyone try to use the villains version of Operative. Here's my take.

Obviously, you need Rook City and Villains of the Multiverse for this.

Setup: Do everything exactly as it says on the Chairman setup card, with the following changes:
-Replace the original Operative with her VoM version, put the deck next to her character card
-Set Operatives starting/max HP to 50
-Perform all of her Setup

Gameplay: Operative's deck works during all Chairmans phases, right after Chairman and all of his cards trigger. So:

Villain turn breakdown:
1. Start of turn for Chairman and all his cards (in usual order).
2. Start of turn for Operative and her cards (in usual order).
3. Play phase for Chairman's deck.
4. Play phase for Operative's deck.
5. End phase for Chairman and his cards.
6. End phase for Operative and her cards.

Nothing else changes, but we now have a slightly less vicious (since she doesn't penalize you for beating her people), slower (because there are no underbosses every turn) version that is a bit more unpredictable, in the end slightly easier, but no pushover either.

I tried this version once (with Unity, Haka, Skyscraper and Wraith, in Pike Industries) and at first, it went very well. Operative was nowhere as tough as she used to be, fighting thugs and underbosses wasn't as punishing, since fewer of them appeared. At some point I even defeated her and was left with still unflipped Chairman and no underbosses, just waiting and wondering if I accidently broke the game. But then the third underboss apppeared, Chairman flipped, the board got populated with underbosses and thugs in no time and I barely won with one casualty (poor Unity) and others in critical condition.

Overall, it worked quite well, but it could use some additional rebalancing. The one thing I haven't tried but sounds like a nice fix is to add this to the Operative's character card.

"If there are no Underbosses in play, reduce damage dealt to Operative by 1. If there are no thugs in play, increase damage dealt by Operative by 1."

Just to give people some hard choices. Maybe it could be an advanced version?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Stull
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting variant for sure. I'd say the flip mechanic for the Chairman would need to be reviewed since the Operative would no longer be playing one Underboss every turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
It's a pretty clean change, I like it. Takes the focus off the underbosses a bit and puts it more on the Operative as a beater. Simplest way to solve your issue might just be to have the Chairman flip if the Operative is incapped OR there are 3 underbosses down?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Stępiński
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adelphophage wrote:
It's a pretty clean change, I like it. Takes the focus off the underbosses a bit and puts it more on the Operative as a beater. Simplest way to solve your issue might just be to have the Chairman flip if the Operative is incapped OR there are 3 underbosses down?

That would make the game go a lot faster. Worth a try, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.