Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played twice using a print-and-play copy of 18CZ at the Portland 18xx Tournament. One significant usability problem we experienced was the lack of sufficient tokens for each company. When a larger company absorbed a smaller one, instead of replacing the tokens gained, the small company charter was placed offset under the larger company charter. This made it very hard to parse the board state. Players had to remember that the SX, for example, could use tokens from three other companies that it had absorbed. There was no easy way to see at a glance which tokens belonged to which company.

1817 does this much better, by providing additional tokens to replace those of absorbed or acquired companies. I hope that 18CZ follows the same path.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Carpenter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, this was a problem. I had a ten share company using tokens from three different companies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
I assumed the final version of the game will have extra tokens for this purpose, as the version we've all been playing is basically a prototype. In Hattanooga we just used a whole bunch of 1862 tokens which had quantity enough for all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fryer
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCat wrote:
1817 does this much better, by providing additional tokens to replace those of absorbed or acquired companies. I hope that 18CZ follows the same path.

Agreed. The copy we got from Lonny came with shirt buttons as tokens, which while possibly quaint, just doesn't work for me, so I just made real tokens and made enough for company acquisitions since I was doing them anyway.

But yeah, I hope my production version comes with enough tokens. But, hey, if it comes with cardboard tokens (say like GMT's 1846) I am going to make wooden ones anyway. I just like them better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The share art shown with the track tiles is dire and will need to be re-made. I suspect that the track tiles will be thick, so they'll need to be remade as well (which has the added bonus of getting rid of the double-sidedness). The map as shown is muddy and unclear, so I expect that will need to be redrawn too (most especially if the two hexes with pre-drawn track use the artsy useless track art). And of course the cardboard tokens. That just leaves the charters and ~privates as original...before we start playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
That just leaves the charters and ~privates as original...before we start playing.

And the rules, of course -- the most important component!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hanacek
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCat wrote:
I played twice using a print-and-play copy of 18CZ at the Portland 18xx Tournament. One significant usability problem we experienced was the lack of sufficient tokens for each company. When a larger company absorbed a smaller one, instead of replacing the tokens gained, the small company charter was placed offset under the larger company charter. This made it very hard to parse the board state. Players had to remember that the SX, for example, could use tokens from three other companies that it had absorbed. There was no easy way to see at a glance which tokens belonged to which company.

We added more tokens for medium and large companies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Berry
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
inni wrote:
We added more tokens for medium and large companies.

Is this what the "exchange tokens" are for? I'm just unpacking my copy of the game and a quick skim of the rules doesn't seem to mention the exchange tokens, apart from including them in the list of components. The rule for acquiring companies just says that the tokens of the smaller company are treated as tokens of the acquiring company. So I am assuming the exchange tokens are a convenience, to replace acquired tokens so that they are easier to see on the map?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
daveberry wrote:
So I am assuming the exchange tokens are a convenience, to replace acquired tokens so that they are easier to see on the map?

Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.