Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
A town was planning to hold a major event last Saturday. In order to reserve parking spaces, they created a no parking sign:

When is the next time the sign can be used?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Clearly, this means "No parking, 24 hours a day, 6 days a week, in 2017. Saturday is the day you can park."

Either that or it's just gibberish. (Or maybe this photo is in a country where they put day of month first. In which case, well, I'm not there, so I don't much care.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CasualSax wrote:

It depends on how you use it. As a murder weapon, any time is appropriate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
Clearly, this means "No parking, 24 hours a day, 6 days a week, in 2017. Saturday is the day you can park."

Either that or it's just gibberish. (Or maybe this photo is in a country where they put day of month first. In which case, well, I'm not there, so I don't much care.)

Clearly this is the most obvious interpretation of the sign, and no other wording with that intent could possibly more clear. Case closed.

erak wrote:
CasualSax wrote:

Remind me not to play Can't Stop with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CasualSax wrote:

This is a very clever trick question.

1) The problem is worded in a way to trick people into thinking you are asking "when is the next time the space can be parked in?" to which the answer is, Sat Jun 25th. Since the city created the signs for a specific purpose, there will be documentation establishing what the sign means and was intended for. Any such documentation would be allowed in a court of law in the event somebody tried to interpret the sign otherwise.

2) This, however, is not the question you asked. You asked when can the sign be used again, to which the answer might be either June 17th, 2024, or June 24th, 2117 depending on how you wish to present various arguments about dates are formatted across the globe and where the sign is placed. (I've never been to MA, where the OP comes from, so I don't know if they use any international date conventions.)

3) Technically, the sign is still in use as long as it is standing. It may be outdated or irrelevant, but it is performing its intended function, which is to tell people they cannot park there on a given date. The fact that the date has passed does not mean it has ceased performing that function.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
June 24th, 2117

Yes, but will that day be a Saturday? I'm way too lazy to check, but the odds are the answer is no. So I suspect the proper answer is 700 years from now, on June 24, 2717, but I'm even less inclined to verify whether that day is a Saturday or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
davypi wrote:
June 24th, 2117

Yes, but will that day be a Saturday? I'm way too lazy to check, but the odds are the answer is no. So I suspect the proper answer is 700 years from now, on June 24, 2717, but I'm even less inclined to verify whether that day is a Saturday or not.

Oh, sorry. I thought SAT meant it was a place you could plop your butt down since there wouldn't be any cars there. My bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
CasualSax wrote:

This is a very clever trick question.

1) The problem is worded in a way to trick people into thinking you are asking "when is the next time the space can be parked in?" to which the answer is, Sat Jun 25th. Since the city created the signs for a specific purpose, there will be documentation establishing what the sign means and was intended for. Any such documentation would be allowed in a court of law in the event somebody tried to interpret the sign otherwise.

2) This, however, is not the question you asked. You asked when can the sign be used again, to which the answer might be either June 17th, 2024, or June 24th, 2117 depending on how you wish to present various arguments about dates are formatted across the globe and where the sign is placed. (I've never been to MA, where the OP comes from, so I don't know if use any international date conventions.)

3) Technically, the sign is still in use as long as it is standing. It may be outdated or irrelevant, but it is performing its intended function, which is to tell people they cannot park there on a given date. The fact that the date has passed does not mean it has ceased performing that function.

I worded this intentionally with multiple interpretations to encourage discussion and imagination. Some thoughts:

1) This is the basic question, when does the next time Saturday, June 25th XX17 occur? I like the thought about the documentation of intent - obviously this was meant for a particular event, and any future occurrences of that date years later are by likely by happenstance and parking would actually be okay.

2) This another angle of exploration, where the sign could be used more frequently if you allow a format other than DD-MM-YY.

3) The sign could also be used to remember the event, especially if something special happened at that exact spot. Perhaps McGregor and Mayweather got into an altercation over whether they should park there for their publicity tour, or it was the exact date that it was decided Container would be reprinted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
davypi wrote:
June 24th, 2117

If it helps, 6/29/17 is a Thursday, 6/29/18 is a Friday. The day advances by one each year, and twice on leap years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tenpence nonthericher
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

erak wrote:
CasualSax wrote:

Remind me not to play Can't Stop with you.[/q]
lets meet I want to play Can't stop with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
davypi wrote:
June 24th, 2117

And remember, by 2717 we will all have Personal Mobility Suits instead of cars, so parking signs will be unnecessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
And remember, by 2717 we will all have Personal Mobility Suits instead of cars, so parking signs will be unnecessary.

Naa, Big Solar is going to subvert the P.M.S. industry, preventing us from moving away from our flying cars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
CasualSax wrote:
Larry Levy wrote:
davypi wrote:
June 24th, 2117

If it helps, 6/29/17 is a Thursday, 6/29/18 is a Friday. The day advances by one each year, and twice on leap years.

Yes, but some years that end in a 00 have leap years and some don't. It makes me tired just thinking about it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CasualSax wrote:

erak wrote:
CasualSax wrote:

Remind me not to play Can't Stop with you.

From my deposition:

"At first it was in self defense, but then I just couldn't, well, you know."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not going - it's supposed to rain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.