Chad Ridgley
United States
Copperas Cove
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Three questions regarding Naval Related Matters.

1. Does the Foul Weather event card mean that if I choose to use it on my activation phase i can activate the entire squadron and have it move through an enemy blockade and take normal movement afterwards (if it is in a port for example) or that i can use it on an opponent's activation and evade automatically before battle in a sea zone? I am supposing that the automatic evasion allowance is not usable in a situation where a squadron in in port or blockade box but i am not certain.

2. Can each side leave/stack a squadron in the same maritime zone and not have naval combat after the end of an activation? I doubt this is the case, but the part in supply lines (13.3) where it says a supply line by sea must not cross sea zones occupied only by enemy fleets at sea makes me think that one can trace supply if they control or share the sea zone. On land it is clear that France and the coalition cannot coexist in the same zone unless there is an ongoing siege.

3. Can an active fleet/squadron that moves into a sea zone evade after being intercepted by an inactive enemy fleet? The rules make it seem that evasion is an option of the inactive squadron when the opponent moves into their zone and not one that the active squadron has, but then it also states that only a squadron in a blockade box or a port does not have this option so it sort of seems vague.


I suppose this idea also goes for land movement as well. The rules don't directly state whether evasion is an option allowed for the active force as well, but I assume it is since only a force that intercepted may not evade.


Thanks for your insight and help!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian van Someren
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chadridgley wrote:
Three questions regarding Naval Related Matters.

1. Does the Foul Weather event card mean that if I choose to use it on my activation phase i can activate the entire squadron and have it move through an enemy blockade and take normal movement afterwards (if it is in a port for example) or that i can use it on an opponent's activation and evade automatically before battle in a sea zone? I am supposing that the automatic evasion allowance is not usable in a situation where a squadron in in port or blockade box but i am not certain.


From my understanding, this card has 2 different uses, depending on the situation:

1) It is your turn, you play this card to activate a squadron which is in a blockaded port. That squadron can leave the port freely, your opponent does not get to intercept.

2) It is your opponent's turn. He sends a squadron into a sea zone with one of your fleets. You can play this card to automatically Evade (no die roll required) and move your squadron to an adjacent sea zone / friendly port.

Quote:
2. Can each side leave/stack a squadron in the same maritime zone and not have naval combat after the end of an activation? I doubt this is the case, but the part in supply lines (13.3) where it says a supply line by sea must not cross sea zones occupied only by enemy fleets at sea makes me think that one can trace supply if they control or share the sea zone. On land it is clear that France and the coalition cannot coexist in the same zone unless there is an ongoing siege.


I don't think it is possible to co-exist with enemy fleets. Combat occurs immediately when you enter an enemy-occupied sea zone, and if you look at the combat results table, all results end with one side or the other retreating.

The note in the rules about "only enemy fleets", refers specifically to "only enemy fleets at sea", indicating that enemy fleets in blockade boxes / ports do not block supply through the adjacent sea zone.

Quote:
3. Can an active fleet/squadron that moves into a sea zone evade after being intercepted by an inactive enemy fleet? The rules make it seem that evasion is an option of the inactive squadron when the opponent moves into their zone and not one that the active squadron has, but then it also states that only a squadron in a blockade box or a port does not have this option so it sort of seems vague.


Only the inactive player has the option to Evade. However, any fleet in a port / blockade box (active or inactive player) can never Evade.

Quote:
I suppose this idea also goes for land movement as well. The rules don't directly state whether evasion is an option allowed for the active force as well, but I assume it is since only a force that intercepted may not evade.


I hope this answers your questions, let me know if anything is still unclear.

Also, check out my battle flowchart in the files section, I think you might fond this useful.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ridgley
United States
Copperas Cove
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the effort explaining my questions. Clears it up

By the way Do you suppose that Foul Weather as automatic evasion isn't allowed for a fleet in port or in blockade? I imagine that is the case.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian van Someren
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Do you suppose that Foul Weather as automatic evasion isn't allowed for a fleet in port or in blockade?


Good question, I would think that you're right: you cannot use Foul Weather to Evade if you're in a Port / Blockade box.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.