Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Reeves
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In most of the games we have played it seems like it's way easier to get a lot of points and things done with bad reputation than it is to do things with good reputation. This seems very counter intuitive for a game like this.

Not only that but it seems like the blocking/dueling mechanism encourages this strategy in the early game. The Saloon is always a highly contested spot early on and the easy way to give yourself an edge, if you don't have any recruits yet, is to duel dishonorably.

In all the games we have played to this point the person that went with bad reputation, literally ran away with points in the game. I get the theme that fighting dirty gives an extra sword. I wonder if maybe, giving no extra swords when dueling would solve the problem or at least make it feel like good guys don't have to struggle so much. I haven't checked but are the quest cards equally distributed between good and bad reputation?

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the game! I'm just wondering if anyone else felt the same way or had any thoughts on this topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends quite a bit on whether you keep and try to buy artifacts that require good reputation. My first play, I needed good reputation for all but my final, which I bought by tanking my rep at Town Hall first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the games I've played, bad reputation is almost never seen, at least not for the long game. You may sneak down there to get a particular artifact card, but almost everyone tries to grab the positive reputation points. Of course, I only play with the town board on the "advanced" side (which it really isn't IMO), and on that side you get negative points for bad reputation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Friedberg
United States
claypool
IN
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't speak to the remainder of that strategy but there's no dueling in the saloon...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
benfriedberg1981 wrote:
I can't speak to the remainder of that strategy but there's no dueling in the saloon...

There's dueling in the Saloon if the player chooses there to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Friedberg
United States
claypool
IN
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ohhhhhhhhh......

my son will be very happy to hear that. trigger-happy maniac that he is...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
benfriedberg1981 wrote:
ohhhhhhhhh......

my son will be very happy to hear that. trigger-happy maniac that he is...

Ha! Yes, it's an easily missed rule. If there are multiple players in the Saloon, the entering player can choose whether they duel or not, and if so, who they duel with. It's a nice side effect of the loser in a duel not really losing anything. It makes this rule possible in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sizzla wrote:
benfriedberg1981 wrote:

There's dueling in the Saloon if the player chooses there to be.

True but it isn't "contested" as mentioned by the OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Steinbrenner
United States
Pasco
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
benfriedberg1981 wrote:

You may duel at the saloon, it is optional though but must be declared and resolved before taking the saloon action.

If you played the day side of town bad reputation has point penalties and the mine has spots that give +1 reputation.

Bad reputation does allow you to get some specific artifacts that may be powerful if you continue to stay confrontational. However in the late game you'll end up with less chance of being in town at the same time to use some of the powers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just for the sake of future visitors with the question about dueling at the saloon...

Rulebook, Page 15, Saloon:

"No Character Limit: A player may always visit the
Saloon, even if it is occupied by other players (the
symbol of 4 people at the top is a reminder of this).
Players may duel at the Saloon to increase/decrease
their reputation."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Reeves
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XeyneGaming wrote:
Just for the sake of future visitors with the question about dueling at the saloon...

Rulebook, Page 15, Saloon:

"No Character Limit: A player may always visit the
Saloon, even if it is occupied by other players (the
symbol of 4 people at the top is a reminder of this).
Players may duel at the Saloon to increase/decrease
their reputation."

Wow I totally missed that rule! Still doesn't change the bad reputation strategy much though. The points gained or lost from the reputation track haven't made that big of an impact on games we have played.

Anyways it will be a good challenge for our group to come up with a good reputation strategy that works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Reeves
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zefquaavius wrote:
It depends quite a bit on whether you keep and try to buy artifacts that require good reputation. My first play, I needed good reputation for all but my final, which I bought by tanking my rep at Town Hall first.

Buying reputation has hardly ever been used in the games we played because coins and gems have been so key to completing quests, but I might have to rethink that now that you mention it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
areeves wrote:
zefquaavius wrote:

Buying reputation has hardly ever been used in the games we played because coins and gems have been so key to completing quests, but I might have to rethink that now that you mention it.

It's interesting, because we've had players buy reputation late game in every session I've played so far. It basically comes down to where they are on the track, because since 2 coins/gems = 1 point at end game, it may or may not be better for you to drop a couple coins/gems at the Town Hall if it nets you more than a single point. It's an especially good play if you need to discard an artifact card you thought you might be able to purchase, but realize late that you can't. It's one of the cool things about players being able to control the pace of game...if someone suddenly puts down tents on multiple consecutive turns, people start scrambling to drop artifact cards while they can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Priddy
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thankfully there's different boards for the reputation where one side doesn't hurt you if you pick the wrong choices. Nice to see that there's some artifacts & factions that take advantage of the bad reputation for those people who want to go that route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.