Ryan F
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I'm wanting to invest in a C&C system. I like the idea of battle/tactics game with fairly simple rules, a 60-90 min play time, and with dice + cards.

I'm only going to get one C&C system so I'm trying to decide which to begin collecting. So for those of you who prefer Napoleonics to others systems and settings, what are the main things that make this game your preferred game over Memoir 44, Battlelore, etc.?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer C&C Ancients. Napoleonics is a good system too, but I like the ancient period better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I Napoleonics is my favorite, Battle cry 150 is the one I play most, and Ancients is the best designed, so there. :)

Really, you should pick the game for the period you are most interested. The only caveats being that Battle Cry never had any expansions, and Samurai Battles only one, so you are limited in your options if you are looking to expand the system. Otherwise, all are excellent.

To directly answer your question, Napoleonics is my favorite for all the "extra" stuff it represents (squares, light infantry/cavalry vs heavy, losses reducing combat strength, etc.). But that said, it a majority of the concepts that make Napolenics great would be out of place in a different game/time period, so it not as if the other games are worse.

Like I said, best bet is to buy whichever game/period interests you most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Massey
United States
Orlando Area
Florida
flag msg tools
As others have said, give your favorite time period extra weight. On the complexity scale, Memoir is a bit lower than Napoleonics or Battle lore. Both of those include additional card decks, tactics or magic. The complexity of unit types, and special unit capabilities is not as strong in Memoir, but increases in the later expansions with later war units like mortars and anti-tank units. A last suggestion is to look at all the expansions of any group, and see how many are still in print, or at least still available at a reasonable price. If the time limit and simple rules are very important, give Memoir (or ancients) a close look. The rules for all of these are available on-line, so you can determine the suitability for yourself before committing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clay stretch
United States
louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ryan, if you like per-gunpowder more than horse and musket, I recommend ancients. Although keep in mind that some of the expansions are out of print as is the core game for ancients. You can still find them tho, but the Greeks and eastern empires are worth their weight in gold.
However, the depth f Napoleonic wars isn't a question of what's better, but what's more applicable to the historic period. I have collected both. I generally pull out all the ancients sets for 6 months, then I play Napoleonic s for the other half of the year. It's like getting a whole new project started every 180 days. As was stated earlier, it's good advice to go with your heart and get the period of history that you like best.
As a caveat, let me say that I had a butt-load of memoir 44, sold it to pay for the ancient army sets, then I retired, and started collecting Napoleonic wars. I used to play and paint Napoleonic miniatures, but found the beauty and retro-look of the blocks so endearing, I seldom even bother to play into miniature games anymore, tho I have a couple thousand. So, get the topic that you love,
I do however recommend that you DO GET the ancient core set (Punic wars) if for no other reason than this truly is the finest core set, and the flag ship of the franchise. My Zwei pfennig worth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.