Subject: Components: How small is too small? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm pondering bits for a project and my thoughts turned to cubes. How to make cool looking cubes inexpensively. They aren't expensive to buy but what if you wanted particular colors and/or wanted a tons of'em for some crazy game, or to upgrade several games, or to make several prototypes, etc?

I can cut them from wood and dye them for just about free, in various sizes, but what if I wanted plastic?

Well, I could just get sheets of 1/4" acrylic and cut'em up into 1/4" cubes.

But the standard cubes are 8mm or 10mm ... 1/4" = 6.3mm. Hmmm.

A 1/4" x 1/4" x 1/4" cube is the same volume as an old-school wargame counter (1/2" x 1/2" x 1/16").

Too small? Too fiddly?

Then my thoughts went general ... just how small is too small?

Obviously no one wants to be counting bb's or grains of sand at the gaming table ... nothing so small that it would get lost in cracks

Anyone have any examples of components from games they thought were too small?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"What do you mean, I can't pay in Meeples?"
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
It depends in part what you have to do with the cubes.

For example if they're being drawn one at a time from a bag and then placed permanently in bowls, very small cubes are hardly an issue. If on the other hand you need to carefully arrange those cubes in a grid pattern and move them around during the game... very tiny cubes will be a problem. Smaller components are also lighter and more prone to being knocked about by a hearty exhale.

Size of components also has to do with the size of, well, us. Specifically the tips of our fingers. Pinch your thumb and index finger together and you'll note there's a triangular gap between them. This makes grabbing really small things hard with the standard pincer grip - you end up having to flatten out both fingers on the table to make the tips touch.

While I haven't run into any cubes I found too tiny to handle, I do prefer 10mm ones over 8mm. I have encountered tokens that were just too small and light to do their jobs effectively. The 'too small' problem is worse in tokens since they're much thinner and thus harder to grip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mouldy Banana
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
The cubes from Stronghold! Plus some of mine are half sized!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
If you have to ask, it's too small.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Kitching
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too small?
The small discs in the original version of Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization
The small cardboard tokens in Age of Renaissance

I'm not sure of the sizes but probably 6mm by 2-4mm high

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought some 6mm dice to act as cohesion hit markers, and I think most would find them a bit too small. 10mm now feel chunky to me as I have gotten used to 8mm cubes (which are becoming more prevalent in games).

Personally, I dislike plastic cubes compared to wood, but that is preference. Also, physical capabilities matter. A person with severe arthritis will probably not play a game with 6mm, 8mm, or even 10mm cubes - I can't play games with print that was designed for microfiche and with text that is muddled by poorly designed background images. Also, very little kids who explore the world by putting objects in their mouth and up their nose probably wouldn't do well with little parts. An average young adult probably won't have those problems... unless they are also pet owners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fire_Forever wrote:
It depends in part what you have to do with the cubes....

All good points! 14mm dice are pretty big and chunky. Can't imagine cubes for resources / tracking being that big.

But component size drives size of other components (like the ships in Black Fleet), the size of various tracks and boxes on player boards, etc, which ultimately drives the size of the game itself.

10mm is a good sweet spot.

mouldybanana wrote:
The cubes from Stronghold! Plus some of mine are half sized!

Good call! I'll have to dig up Stronghold. I bet those were 6mm ... surely they weren't smaller than that ...

EMBison wrote:
If you have to ask, it's too small.

Man, I knew she would say that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Postmark wrote:
Too small?
The small discs in the original version of Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization
The small cardboard tokens in Age of Renaissance

I'm not sure of the sizes but probably 6mm by 2-4mm high

Oh yeah, those tiny shield markers! LOL

The design of every component in that game is a horror. May be called Age of Renaissance but it's from the Dark Ages of mid-90s graphic design ... blecch!

Played with 1/2" counters on 5/8" hex grids all the time as a kid, and still do, but when I think up a design to play with, that's never where my visions go.

Verbosity wrote:
I bought some 6mm dice to act as cohesion hit markers, and I think most would find them a bit too small. 10mm now feel chunky to me as I have gotten used to 8mm cubes (which are becoming more prevalent in games).

Personally, I dislike plastic cubes compared to wood, but that is preference. Also, physical capabilities matter. A person with severe arthritis will probably not play a game with 6mm, 8mm, or even 10mm cubes - I can't play games with print that was designed for microfiche and with text that is muddled by poorly designed background images. Also, very little kids who explore the world by putting objects in their mouth and up their nose probably wouldn't do well with little parts. An average young adult probably won't have those problems... unless they are also pet owners.

I think I had some of those dice from some 80s AH titles. But maybe those were 8mm. Seemed tiny, didn't bother me ... then. I like dice as stat trackers too but prefer them with numbers not pips.

Yeah, plastic v. wood is a theme decision (to me at least). Wouldn't use plastic anything for a game set in the past, given a choice. Plastic coins in Conquest of the Empire ... hmmm. It was the '80s.

Oh and tiny illegible text, agreed. For instance, I want to love Legendary, but the design and typography are a pain. Has kept me from really diving in, despite being a lifelong Marvel fan. And after 5yrs, expansion after expansion it persists, the same fugly, unreadable cards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aesthetocyst wrote:
I could just get sheets of 1/4" acrylic and cut'em up into 1/4" cubes.

How do you intend to cut acrylic? Acrylic is very tough and brittle and is notoriously hard to machine. It is also famously hard on the equipment--you better be ready with the sharpeners! If you use a bandsaw, that's gonna be an expensive sharpening job.

Wood is better because it feels nice, can be easily colored (try fruit juice), and most species work easily.

Even brass or aluminum is nicer to machine with regular power saws (jig, band, table) than acrylic. And those materials can make for some fancy pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
professorguy wrote:
aesthetocyst wrote:
I could just get sheets of 1/4" acrylic and cut'em up into 1/4" cubes.

How do you intend to cut acrylic?

Laser cutter.

professorguy wrote:
Wood is better because it feels nice, can be easily colored (try fruit juice), and most species work easily.

I dye wood bits with Rit. It's cheap, goes a long way, and is (mostly) reversible! Fruit juice? Hadn't thought of that, but the Rit is even cheaper. No problems from the acids and sugars in juices? Don't think they could compete with Rit or tie-dye in range or saturation...?

professorguy wrote:
Even brass or aluminum is nicer to machine with regular power saws (jig, band, table) than acrylic. And those materials can make for some fancy pieces.

Yes, metals are wonderful. And aluminum anodizing is fantastic! But not as cheap, not as fast, and require more tooling. The coolant is a mess and the shavings are worse than sand in terms of pervasiveness and longevity. I loved working in a machine shop, but don't miss it following me home!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out these tokens from Luna Llena: Full Moon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"What do you mean, I can't pay in Meeples?"
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
shake And here I thought the 1HP counters from Attack on Titan: Deck-Building Game were bad! They look no bigger than the end of the pencil, oh goodness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Born-of-Ashes wrote:
Check out these tokens from Luna Llena: Full Moon.

surprise Looks like leftovers from punching something else out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I?
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
Clippers went too small, and it hurt the game's reputation.

Here is an image showing the port markers:

Game itself is supposed to be decent, but many people (rightfully) couldn't get past component issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't like to handle cubes below 8 mm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to save costs on a prototype by using cube shaped acrylic beads at 4mm.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
They were too small to enjoyably play with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal L
Switzerland
Attalens
FR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tokaido early editions had tiny score markers

Bottom on the picture:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Second in a one horse race
Scotland
Bloxham
Oxon
flag msg tools
Cardboard rocks. It's just not the same on iOS.
badge
F&%K YOU, DODGEBALL!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Puerto Rico colonists are too small. They're a pain to pick up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.