Subject: So I just bought this game. Again. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When my original Dark Souls kickstarter copy arrived, after playing a game with my friend's copy, I decided to sell my copy as I felt, even though I thought it was good(?), it still wasn't what I hoped. I was able to sell it for a remarkable price (ended just minus $30 spent on the entire kickstarter) and planned on just selling the stretch goals when they arrived.

When I scanned ebay the other day, someone was selling a new copy for just $75. I figured, if I wanted to give this game another chance (and because my friend got rid of his copy too), I would have to act now, so I bought it again.

I don't know if I'm stupid or if my love for Dark Souls just wanted to give this another chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm somewhere in there too. I'm waiting for a satisfactory revision though.. Hoping an official one will come by the time the next wave launches, if not, a community one that will incorporate all the addons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan McNeely
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's tough. I entered the world of Dark Souls post-Demon's Souls, but immediately loved what I was experiencing. Now with a couple more entries and a few knock-offs to enjoy, the "Souls-like" experience is fully engaged in the video game realm.

My initial thoughts on the board game adaptation were good as they decided to keep the vibe and atmosphere, but throw in a nifty artificial intelligence system that I find to be pretty sweet. However, with the game's style of 'leveling up' and earning souls and gear, I am not sure it's the game I originally wanted to see on the tabletop.

I was a KS backer and still have my copy on the shelf. I played solo, then with another player, but never really fell in love with it the way I did the video game. Perhaps it certainly IS a case of having too high of expectations and being lulled by the intellectual property overrunning the gameplay, but I do have faith that in time, the rules will be adjusted, the loot system will be a little more fun AND player house rules will incorporate themselves into the official gameplay.

'Til then, it'll sit as a reminder on my shelf of something that has potential, but isn't quite there.

If you're a DS fan, which it sounds like you are, I'd suggest getting a copy back and just sitting on it. Expansions will come out and just like with the video game, I am sure updates and patches (haha) will accompany them. In the meantime, create some cool house rules, share them with us and turn the game into what you prefer it to be. Praise the fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Patches the Hyena should definitely be made into the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Polioliolio wrote:
Yeah, I'm somewhere in there too. I'm waiting for a satisfactory revision though.. Hoping an official one will come by the time the next wave launches, if not, a community one that will incorporate all the addons.

An official one would work best. The real trouble with doing a home brew one is that there are always a ton of them, and most of them aren't well playtested.

Basically, I could spend time and effort on fixing Dark Souls- or I could play one of my other games (that doesn't need to be fixed).

Without an official revision, I think this game will go the way of Sedition Wars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
odinsgrandson wrote:
Polioliolio wrote:

An official one would work best. The real trouble with doing a home brew one is that there are always a ton of them, and most of them aren't well playtested.

Basically, I could spend time and effort on fixing Dark Souls- or I could play one of my other games (that doesn't need to be fixed).

Without an official revision, I think this game will go the way of Sedition Wars.

Really, there weren't a lot of people talking about the game before it even came out. The KS did well because it was band-wagging off the current hype of Dark Souls 3. Now that the last game in the series was released over a year ago, that hype has long since passed, and I'm sure a lot of backers just wanted more Dark Souls memorabilia in their collection, regardless of whether or not they were planning on playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.