Eldritch Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Got the expansions, should I use them all at once? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Koen Dekker
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've already played the base game plus Forsaken Lore and Strange Remnants. A couple of days ago I finally pulled the trigger and got the rest of the expansions; all 3 big boxes and Signs of Carcosa.

The question is: shall I open them all, pile them together and just play? Or do I try and go through each expansion 1 by 1?

What would you do/what did you do?

Previously I played the base game twice, added FL and played the game twice again. Then finally I added SR and played with everything together from then on. Right now I feel kinda tempted to just throw everything together but maybe the expansions make more sense if you mainly play with the cards that come in the box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Crane
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Throw them in, mix things up and then you will see the cards less often, more replay. Nothing hurt in my opinion, just more good stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. All together is fine as you don't have every board in play at once, unlike AH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gideon Stargrave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Devonmouse wrote:
Throw them in, mix things up and then you will see the cards less often, more replay. Nothing hurt in my opinion, just more good stuff.

I second this - no reason not to go ahead and add everything to the common decks, it makes repetition way less likely.

That's the cool thing about the EH expansions - they don't really add complexity, just cool new stuff for the existing decks.

The new sideboards will only be in play when using a specific AO or Prelude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Blumhardt
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just adding my voice in agreement. There's no real reason to separate out the cards from the various decks once you mix them in.

Some people like to only use the Mythos cards from a specific expansion at a time, but I've never found that to be worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Asset and Spell decks (and conditions, but those are easy to break up by some type groups) get unwieldy, but especially the "enemy" content is modular enough that it stays manageable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Nuttall
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
Hi Folks.

This is a question that I've wrestled with myself for a while. I bought EH almost a year ago as a 50th birthday present to myself. Being an avid CoC RPG player back in the 80's it was great to be back and experiencing the thrill of gaming again, albeit in a slightly different format.

I love EH and am becoming hooked all over again with the struggle against the unknown. I first started playing, following (stalking?!) suggestions from other forum members - add everything into the mix. However,I can't help but feel that this approach somewhat dilutes & confuses the theme / narrative.

I have now separated out all expansion cards - mythos, condition, artifacts, etc - and mechanics into those that seem 'generic' & can be added to expand the base game, and those that appear specific to that AO / expansion i.e I only use impairment with Hastur and Nephren-Ka when the theme heavily suggests madness / paranoia / mind control, etc. Likewise poison conditions are only added when playing against Yig, and the Hildred Castaigne and King in Yellow artifacts can only be drawn if challenging Hastur.

It didn't take a care great deal of time or effort to separate these cards out, but I feel that the overall effect in distilling the individual content for each AO - generic base game content & specific AO theme - results in a far more thematically coherent game.

Would be interested to hear if others play this way?

PS - while I'm posting, I would like to take the opportunity to thank fellow forum members for the invaluable advice / rulings that continue to be offered. I have followed the forum for about a year now without contributing and have found the posts a great help in furthering my enjoyment of a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Crane
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome Rob.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Gregg
Australia
Lenah Valley
Tas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotuso wrote:
The question is: shall I open them all, pile them together and just play?

I went through this recently when I picked up EH (and I think FL at the same time). After playing once or twice I ordered the rest of the expansions in two separate batches. Adding them all as I got them worked well for me. So far I just draw a random ancient one and a random prelude (I have put them back a couple of times as I'd already played that prelude).

In 11 plays, I've only played twice with a sideboard so far. I like how the expansions don't really add to the complexity of the game much (or the length) just the variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P Santos
United States
LAS VEGAS
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'd recommend putting the small box expansions all in at the same time, but not the big box ones, which I recommend to be included only when playing their board/AO.

The issue here is dilution of flavor. When you add everything in, you'd hardly see/draw cards that really gives flavor to the AO/board since there are so many other cards in the deck. Some mechanics also 'fade' due to dilution, for ex, impairment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Dekker
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for their quick responses!

ppsantos wrote:
I'd recommend putting the small box expansions all in at the same time, but not the big box ones, which I recommend to be included only when playing their board/AO.

The issue here is dilution of flavor. When you add everything in, you'd hardly see/draw cards that really gives flavor to the AO/board since there are so many other cards in the deck. Some mechanics also 'fade' due to dilution, for ex, impairment.

Question: what are the cards that really add to the flavor for you? Is it the Mythos cards? The various new encounter cards? The assets/spells? All of them?

If it's just the new mythos cards then I can probably just separate them the first time I play with against a new Great Old One.

As it stands I just might throw everything together because of 1) time, and 2) to keep everything fresh/exciting for as long as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P Santos
United States
LAS VEGAS
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I really don't examine and memorize all the cards from the expansions, so they still seem fresh even after repeated plays.

But I've noticed that certain expansions, for example, Under the Pyramid, has an Egyptian flavor, and Mountain of Madness has icy/artic feel to it. So mixing those two up might get you some desert/Egyptian cards one round and then next round, antarctica ones? Just guessing here.

I actually own only the small boxes (FL, SR, SoC) but I'm beginning to think that when my collection becomes bigger, I might try experimenting just putting one exp (removing the rest) for a game and see the flavor that would emerge.

Come to think of it, maybe Under the Pyramids and Signs of Carcosa (the small box after UtP) might go well together. For one, the impairment mechanic is present in both. Perhaps, Mountain of Madness+Strange Remnants (focus tokens) might go well together?

Forsaken Lore is a generic expansion so it might go well with the rest. Though FL tend to have a serpent-poison flavor to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously, just mix everything in. There is no loss of flavour, just more fun playing and less time spend trying to sort things in/out of the game between playthroughs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ppsantos wrote:
I actually own only the small boxes (FL, SR, SoC) but I'm beginning to think that when my collection becomes bigger, I might try experimenting just putting one exp (removing the rest) for a game and see the flavor that would emerge.

Dude seriously.. Get the big box expansions first, and then you can make recommendations about whether or not they are good to mix with the rest of the game.

Also it's a bit lame to "like" your own post
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Keen
Canada
flag msg tools
Forsaken Lore - Throw it all in always.

Strange Remnants - Keep the Mystic Ruins deck separate, throw everything else in.

Signs of Carcosa - Throw everything in.

With the big box expansions, you'll want to set aside the sideboard and any of the encounter decks specific to them. Everything else you can throw in.

What you'll end up with is a very large number of cards, some of unwieldy size, but so much variety you'll still be seeing cards for the first time 10+ games in. Each expansion, both big and small, will throw in different themes, but not so much that it doesn't make any sense at all. It's not like you'll be encountering the pyramids in Arkham, but you might encounter a mummy that was transferred to the Arkham Museum (I don't know if this is actually a thing, but it illustrates my point.

You'll have the Antarctic, Egypt, and Dreamlands sideboards for when you pull the Elder God or Prologue that calls for their set up. Same for the Mystic Ruins deck. I could see maybe using the Mystic Ruins for every game you play, as a second Expedition deck, but I like to keep it for specific times. Don't play with all the sideboards; you'll end up just ignoring them mostly if nothing sends you there. There are instances where it might call for 2 sideboards at once, through an Elder God that calls for one, while the Prologue calls for the other. I personally would just choose a different one to keep it easier to manage.

I think that about sums it up? Maybe I made a mistake here and there. Hopefully it helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Howard
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I always have forsaken lore in . I think it's essential really . A lot of folks feel it completes the core game.

Sounds like from the responses here do what you feel is fun. I've been throwing everything in as I've acquired them and it's worked fine for me .

I don't mind things happening in Antarctica and the pyramids all at once. Is this a globetrotting game or isn't it ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
May the Great Spirit Bless all who read this.
mbmbmbmbmb
nobody82b wrote:
ppsantos wrote:

Dude seriously.. Get the big box expansions first, and then you can make recommendations about whether or not they are good to mix with the rest of the game.

Also it's a bit lame to "like" your own post

Nah, he can make whatever recommendations he wants, it's a game.
Some would say it's lame to check on who's liking posts.
Ease up, it's a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.