Subject: Basic questions on expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I got this in a trade and am having a good time with it. I have the "Spiderman" (paint town red?) expansion and the Dark City.

My question is, regarding expansions, since I'm really behind the 8 ball in expansions I don't really want all of them, can I pick and choose and they will interate okay?

My main concern is a couple expansions introduces some new mechanic and I only get one of those and it kinda dilutes the game too much. Is this much of a concern? Are older cards still useful against newer villians?

I'm sure this has been answered before but thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Baker
msg tools
The keywords, with rare exceptions, do NOT duplicate. Since you have a limited number of cards in the various decks, the keywords are never TOO overwhelming, even if you have all the expansions.

The only cards that are a problem are actually from the base set. Black Widow can be ridiculously overpowered. The original 4 Masterminds are VERY easy compared to the ones in the expansions - this is why so many insist on Dark City as it is when the game actually becomes somewhat balanced and difficult. Heroes remain fairly balanced, but new combos blossom in different expansions, so older heroes never become useless.

The only expansion that is really unbalanced compared to other sets is Guardians of the Galaxy. It introduces "infinity shards" which the Guardians heroes collect and can be used as damage at any time. Thanos, one of the two masterminds with set, is next to impossible to defeat without using the Guardians/shards.

There is also a balance issue with Spider-Man. In the core set, his power doesn't stack with anyone else and he is basically useless. Now there are are six other heroes who are all 2 Cost, which can be unstoppable if you use a full complement of them.

For other expansions, choose the characters, keywords, or styles that you like. Do you want flexibility? Try keywords like Focus in Fantastic Four (soon to be back in print) or Divided in Civil War. Want an uncertain or competitive game? Get Villains, Fear Itself, or Noir! Want something zany and bizarre? Go for Deadpool.

In my opinion, Dark City (which you have) is the only indispensable expansion. You can play endless scenarios with the cards you already have. If you want to get more, go where your heart and your wallet lead you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigGameGeek wrote:
My main concern is a couple expansions introduces some new mechanic and I only get one of those and it kinda dilutes the game too much. Is this much of a concern? Are older cards still useful against newer villians?

The only dilution that's ever bothered me is getting too much of the same team. I play with random setups. I don't want to end up randomly getting half a team of X-Men every time because I won so freaking many of them compared to other teams.

gregorynbaker wrote:
The keywords, with rare exceptions, do NOT duplicate. Since you have a limited number of cards in the various decks, the keywords are never TOO overwhelming, even if you have all the expansions.

And keywords that get re-used also get re-explained, so there's no need to worry on that account.

gregorynbaker wrote:

The original 4 Masterminds are VERY easy compared to the ones in the expansions.

I wonder if this is because they originally thought that people were going to play this semi co-op and eventually saw that nobody plays it that way. Ok, OK, I know someone's going to shout out here and say that's how THEY play, but I don't know anyone who plays semi co-op and I don't know why anyone would.

gregorynbaker wrote:

There is also a balance issue with Spider-Man. In the core set, his power doesn't stack with anyone else and he is basically useless. Now there are are six other heroes who are all 2 Cost, which can be unstoppable if you use a full complement of them.

The easy answer there is to NOT do that. I own Paint the Town Red, but it's still a miracle if I get two Spidey characters in the same game.

gregorynbaker wrote:

For other expansions, choose the characters, keywords, or styles that you like.

THAT is the bottom line here. I look at a set and if I don't have an interest in most of the characters... forget about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Baker
msg tools

Trump wrote:

The easy answer there is to NOT do that. I own Paint the Town Red, but it's still a miracle if I get two Spidey characters in the same game.

The problem is that if you DO have multiple Spider-Men, the game is ridiculously easy, because you draw like 10 extra cards per turn. BUT if you don't, the Spider-Man is essentially just a SHIELD Agent or Trooper that you paid 2 Recruit for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Brownell
United States
Twin Oaks
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Secret Wars Vol. 2 basically assumes you have Secret Wars Vol. 1. Otherwise, yes, everything is both standalone and compatible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tommy3Count wrote:
Secret Wars Vol. 2 basically assumes you have Secret Wars Vol. 1. Otherwise, yes, everything is both standalone and compatible.

Thank goodness it's not the other way around. Volume 1 has nearly all of "the good stuff".

gregorynbaker wrote:

Trump wrote:

The problem is that if you DO have multiple Spider-Men, the game is ridiculously easy, because you draw like 10 extra cards per turn. BUT if you don't, the Spider-Man is essentially just a SHIELD Agent or Trooper that you paid 2 Recruit for.

I don't think that's true though. Spidey is a fast deck to set up. You can be cleaning up the city in no time at all. Without something else, you might not be going up against the Mastermind, but you're buying time for the rest of the players to do that.

That said, since I play this game a LOT solitaire, I wouldn't bother with a sole Spidey character in my deck because I probably have better options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
Given what you have, I also agree: Get what interests you, is available, that you're willing to pay for.

Adding any expansion allows you to make the game harder.

If for some reason you're looking to make the game easier (without modifying the values on the cards as indicated in the rulebook): New Recruits from Villains and Sidekicks (Secret Wars V1, Civil War) are the simplest way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the big box sets the most myself. The small box sets seem designed to be used with themselves, where as the big boxes mix better.

There's rules for each set posted on each BGG page, and on Upper Deck has them all on their pages as well. Most set has full spoilers hidden somewhere in the BGG forums for them as well. You can take a look at those to help decide what new stuff from each set you might like.

You can also just pick whatever sets have heroes that you like as well. I personally don't think there is a bad set out there, but I do like some more than others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jem
France
flag msg tools
Trump wrote:
bigGameGeek wrote:
[q="gregorynbaker"]
The original 4 Masterminds are VERY easy compared to the ones in the expansions.

I wonder if this is because they originally thought that people were going to play this semi co-op and eventually saw that nobody plays it that way. Ok, OK, I know someone's going to shout out here and say that's how THEY play, but I don't know anyone who plays semi co-op and I don't know why anyone would.

It's possible that they underestimated how much people like to lose to the game itself sometimes - the original 4 MMs are very much about who is the most heroic, while some of the newer ones are a fight for survival.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.