1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Know what peeves me? (Inserts) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
When I buy a brand new game and it has beautifully designed inserts so that everything firs to a tee. Then when I sleeve my cards they don't fit and I practically have to throw the inert away.

Century Spice Road I'm taking about you! Amongst others.

Why oh why, cannot the game designers get the inserts right? Probably been mentioned a hundred times before, but I'm too lazy to dig up the OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A
Canada
Markham
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should check out Barenpark's insert. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
ayo23 wrote:

I actually have the game but haven't opened it yet. Is it the same or worst problem? What way to ruin an insert!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A
Canada
Markham
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:

I actually have the game but haven;t opened it yet. Is it the same or worst problem? What way to ruin an insert!

My reaction was "Why even bother?"

You'll see what I mean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tossed my Barenpark insert immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All sleeves are not created equally.

Sleeves make cards thicker, eating up space.

Inserts with card wells are designed to hold the cards fairly tightly for shipping purposes.

Sleeves are optional, aftermarket, employed by a small slice of any game's audience (well, board games, not ccgs, but we aren't talking ccgs here)

Only way to "get it right" in the way you mean would be to pre-sleeve the cards, which would be very expensive, and raise the cost for everyone, to please only a small portion of the customer base ... people who would just replace the sleeves anyway, since the manufacturer would inevitably use the 'wrong' ones.

If you're sleeving you may as well invest in a custom insert anyway. You do love your games, don't you? That is why you're sleeving, right?

Yes, this has come up before. Last saw this thread last week
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Has it been a week already?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a moment, I was expecting Earl Pitts to go off on something trivial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know. When they made Unfair, they tested the insert with every brand and type of sleeve they could, as well as unsleeved, and it seems to have worked out.

On the other hand, one of the KS bennies of Dungeon Time was premium sleeves. Once the cards are sleeved, they don't fit in the well without bending the sleeve corners, and the card stack is too tall for the well. I switched to standard penny sleeves, and it's better, but the sleeve corners still get bent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
When I buy a brand new game and it has beautifully designed inserts so that everything firs to a tee. Then when I sleeve my cards they don't fit and I practically have to throw the inert away.

Why oh why, cannot the game designers get the inserts right?
You choose to sleeve your games, it has nothing to do with game play or design.

It's your problem, not theirs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
Has it been a week already?

Not even.

People. If you are not handy with a pair of scissors...you might want to just end it all now. Of course you'll probably screw that up, not having learned the fundamental life skill of scissors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose it's a bit naive to expect people who sleeve their cards to not be obsessive about the game's insert...

Pete (sleeves a fair number of his games)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tallboy wrote:
Oiler1 wrote:

I disagree. We are the customers and we have demands for the product. The question is, are enough players demanding to be able to sleeve?

My gut feeling is, that here on BGG and also on KS the more enthusiastic gamers are and that we tend to be more demanding (higher percentage of gamers who would like to sleeve), so that the "real" demand might be pretty low. On the other hand, I guess overall demand is high enough that FFG has sleeves in their product range and states for each of their games what sleeves are needed.

So, right now I see it as a way for publishers to differentiate from the crowd of other publishers by offering something extra. If demand rises and gamers start to prefer publishers that take sleeved cards into account, we sleevers wouldn't have to cope with boxes that are too small and beautiful inserts that are just garbage when using sleeves.
I hope for the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizzie j
New Zealand
flag msg tools
look into my eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't even sleeved my Cemtury Road cards and the top few cards still don't even fit so they slide around the box shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Magermilchmagier wrote:
tallboy wrote:
Oiler1 wrote:

I disagree. We are the customers and we have demands for the product. The question is, are enough players demanding to be able to sleeve?

My gut feeling is, that here on BGG and also on KS the more enthusiastic gamers are and that we tend to be more demanding (higher percentage of gamers who would like to sleeve), so that the "real" demand might be pretty low. On the other hand, I guess overall demand is high enough that FFG has sleeves in their product range and states for each of their games what sleeves are needed.

So, right now I see it as a way for publishers to differentiate from the crowd of other publishers by offering something extra. If demand rises and gamers start to prefer publishers that take sleeved cards into account, we sleevers wouldn't have to cope with boxes that are too small and beautiful inserts that are just garbage when using sleeves.
I hope for the future.

IN my gaming circles, there are far few people sleeving all their games then those not sleeving.

But, I guess we aren't enthusiastic gamers. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
You wanna go nuts about the most poorly designed insert ever?

Buy Ascension: Dreamscape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Strait
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Given that the primary functional reason to include an insert is to prevent game components from moving during shipping / distribution, I wouldn't agree with calling an insert with minimal excess space "wrong". You can always remove the insert if more space is needed.

Plus, is there any indication that more than a minority of game buyers use sleeves for game cards? That's what would be needed to sway more publishers to take up added packaging costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Know what peeves me?

When I buy a brand new game and it has beautifully designed inserts so that everything fits to a tee except for the spaces for the cards is made too wide and deep. Then in transit cards move around in the box and the box is bigger than it needs to be.

Why oh why, cannot the game designers get the inserts right? Probably been mentioned a hundred times before, but I'm too lazy to dig up the OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Oiler1 wrote:
When I buy a brand new game and it has beautifully designed inserts so that everything firs to a tee.

So you admit right there that the product as sold fits together perfectly, yes? And you understand that you are complaining about it no longer fitting perfectly when you greatly alter the components to suit yourself, yes?

Exactly how would you suggest they (they being the publisher, not the designer, you should note) make an insert to accommodate all the possible customisation options? Sleeves vary in width, height, and thickness, and many (hell, I'll go out on a limb and say most) people never see the need for any sort of sleeve anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Carpenter
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magermilchmagier wrote:
tallboy wrote:
Oiler1 wrote:

I disagree. We are the customers and we have demands for the product.

You might be but they are the publisher and they produce the product. Don't like it, don't buy it. Simples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:

Century Spice Road I'm taking about you! Amongst others.

I buy a brand new pair of pants and a shirt and they're beautifully designed and fit to a tee. Then I go on a binge eating fast-food and chocolate so they don't fit and I practically have to throw them away.

Why oh why can't designers get my waist size right ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbert Vervuurt
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ayo23 wrote:

I found a picture of it. How is that even an official insert? Just letting the stuff run freely inside the box, would've worked just as well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
aesthetocyst wrote:
Inserts are optional, aftermarket, employed by a small slice of any game's audience (well, board games, not ccgs, but we aren't talking ccgs here)

Don't forget, sleeves are optional too! And to everything but a select few decks in Kingdom Death: Monster I say HECK NO! to sleeves. I just take really good care of my components instead. Though I understand people are friends with card benders and greasy-finger folks. I'm lucky that my game group respects the components the same way I do.

I wouldn't sleeve KD:M either if it weren't for the price tag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ErsatzDragon wrote:
Given that the primary functional reason to include an insert is to prevent game components from moving during shipping / distribution, I wouldn't agree with calling an insert with minimal excess space "wrong". You can always remove the insert if more space is needed.
Except for the inserts which have wells molded to fit the tokens from the included punchboards. Those inserts are designed for storage after purchase, since those wells are empty during shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goeshi
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Roll for the Galaxy insert almost seems designed to damage the game components. It has a small step added to make the box base just too small to lie the player boards or manual flat, but also not high enough to elevate them above the components. Total waste of cardboard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.