Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Terra Mystica» Forums » Variants

Subject: Idea for a new faction - Beggers (Variable and Brown) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Updated:
The Spade Track fixed. Now Beggers A (Variable) can upgrade the Spade twice during the Game.

Beggers A (Variable)

Home Terrain:
As same as Shapeshifters. But this Faction may not change the Home Terrain during the Game.

Quote:
When choosing this Faction, you must also immediately choose a Home terrain. You may not choose the Home or Starting terrain of another Faction already in play (including Ice Maidens and Yetis). Indicate your choice with the Shapeshifter ring. Place it over the chosen terrain type on your Transformation cycle. Use the appropriate playing pieces according to your chosen Home terrain. The following players may not choose a Faction with that type of Home terrain.
During the course of the game, count the number of Spades needed to transform terrain based on your chosen Home terrain.

Initial Cult:
Any 2 (when choosing this Faction)

Initial Power:
5/7/0

Ability:
In each Income Phase (including Round 1), you gain additional Income, choose one of the followings; 1 Worker, 2 Coins or 3 Power.

Stronghold:
Costs 4 Workers + 6 Coins.
When building, immediately and only once gain one of the followings; 1 Worker, 2 Coins or 3 Power.
After building, in each subsequent income phase, you gain one more additional Income, choose one of the followings; 1 Worker, 2 Coins or 3 Power. You may choose any combination with the additional Income of the Ability.

Sanctuary:
Costs 4 Workers + 8 Coins. Income of 1 Priest. Gain 1 Favor Tile when building.

Beggers B (Brown)

Home Terrain:
Brown.

As same as Beggers A (Variable) except Home Terrain.

--------------------------------------

Updated:
Corrected a mistake in the building cost of the Sanctuary.

Ya, this Faction is not exciting, however, its variable income will help you in any situation.

Concepts:
- Variable Income, you can choose what you want according to the situation.
- The Stronghold Ability is the same as the Ability.

Initial Cult:
2 Earth (from the impression of its image)

Initial Power:
5/7/0

Ability:
In each Income Phase (including Round 1), you gain additional Income, choose one of the followings; 1 Worker, 2 Coins or 4 Power.

Stronghold:
Costs 4 Workers + 6 Coins.
When building, immediately and only once gain one of the followings; 1 Worker, 2 Coins or 4 Power.
After building, in each subsequent income phase, you gain one more additional Income, choose one of the followings; 1 Worker, 2 Coins or 4 Power. You may choose any combination with the additional Income of the Ability.

Sanctuary:
Costs 4 Workers + 6Coins 8 Coins. Income of 1 Priest. Gain 1 Favor Tile when building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Idea for a new faction - Brown (Looking for a good name)
Lovable!

===Name===
In fantasy RPG tropes I've often found humans as the epitome of the adaptable race, so I'm imaging this ability as inherently human.
Even among humans, the best jack-of-all trades in this context are bards, so I'm going for
STORYTELLERS
which, knowing a lot about epic feats of the past heroes, can come up with the appropriate solution.

Another interesting concept is
BEGGARS
Who know how to ask for exactly what they need for (and the income "open hand" icon is quite thematic).

===Abilities===
What about giving the players a choice also for their starting position on the cult tracks? Providing 2 "wild" cult advancements that may assign as they fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Olander
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
Painkeeper wrote:
Lovable!

===Name===
In fantasy RPG tropes I've often found humans as the epitome of the adaptable race, so I'm imaging this ability as inherently human.
Even among humans, the best jack-of-all trades in this context are bards, so I'm going for
STORYTELLERS
which, knowing a lot about epic feats of the past heroes, can come up with the appropriate solution.

Another interesting concept is
BEGGARS
Who know how to ask for exactly what they need for (and the income "open hand" icon is quite thematic).

===Abilities===
What about giving the players a choice also for their starting position on the cult tracks? Providing 2 "wild" cult advancements that may assign as they fit.

I like the variable cult steps, and will up it one more with variability - variable color! just like SS, RW and ice factions, once you choose them, also select a color.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Fischer
Netherlands
Den Haag
---
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like it - also like the idea that they are humans.

TRADERS?
VILLAGERS?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea - it'll also keep the opponents guessing which resources this faction will have at the start of the next round. E.g. they can't really rely on something like "won't have enough power to do power action XYZ".

In comparison with income favors, the power income seems a bit high. How about 1w/2c/3pw?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Caster
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mb
I think starting power has to be reduced. The current proposal would be equivalent to Ice Maidens picking FAV8 (Air2), and they start with 6/6/0 for a reason. If these guys pick a +3pw bon they would have a tremendous starting pw distribution.

(I am now assuming that one would take the pw in round 1, but that seems like the best option.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alban Thomas
France
Blain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DocCool wrote:
In comparison with income favors, the power income seems a bit high. How about 1w/2c/3pw?
Agree on this.
4PW basically worth 2C (at worst) and is more flexible, so except cases where you dont want to risk loosing some further power gains, you will always prefer +4PW to +2C, wont you ?
+3PW seems more appropriate to me

Not so excited about this faction, but it should work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The image that you have looks a lot like a Golem. Since they are made of clay or mud, perhaps Red or Black is a better color for them. However, I do like the suggestion that they be a Variable Color as well. The problem is that there is no current mechanism for them to build on other terrain other than normal terraforming.

kruppy wrote:
I think starting power has to be reduced. The current proposal would be equivalent to Ice Maidens picking FAV8 (Air2), and they start with 6/6/0 for a reason. If these guys pick a +3pw bon they would have a tremendous starting pw distribution.

(I am now assuming that one would take the pw in round 1, but that seems like the best option.)

I agree on this.

Grovast wrote:
DocCool wrote:
Agree on this.
4PW basically worth 2C (at worst) and is more flexible, so except cases where you dont want to risk loosing some further power gains, you will always prefer +4PW to +2C, wont you ?
+3PW seems more appropriate to me

Not so excited about this faction, but it should work.

I also agree that it should be +3pw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Initial Cult: Any 1 + Any 1.

Variable Income; 1 Worker, 2 Coins or 3 Power.

JamesWolfpacker wrote:
However, I do like the suggestion that they be a Variable Color as well. The problem is that there is no current mechanism for them to build on other terrain other than normal terraforming.

I also thought of the same thing as you. Does anyone have a good idea?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Olander
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
what is the problem with variable color?
they choose doing setup, for instance brown og green - then they just take those color items, and play as they were a "normal" brown og green faction.

so choose brown = 1 spade to yellow and black, etc.

it just gives them even more variability during setup (and makes them a good "filler" choice in hard last player choices, or a "darkling/whatever-blocker" for early choices). for the rest of the game, they play like a normal faction of that color regarding spades.

so, color and dig-wise, they would work just like shapeshifters without their SH built.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think I got it. There are 2 options to make them (I like Golems) a variable faction.

First, Ice, Volcano, and Riverwalkers do not have a home terrain EXCEPT when placing starting dwellings.

OPTION 1
You select their home terrain during faction selection.

When the SH is built, they only pay 1 spade for any non-home terrain of all players. They do not pay a spade for their selected home terrain. You can possibly remove the 1x variable benefits and keep variable income or vice versa based on play test results.

OPTION 2
They have no home terrain and you do not select one. You can put start dwellings on any terrain that no other players can start on. They have to pay 1 spade for any non-home terrain of all players and 3 spades for home terrains. Building the SH makes this 2 spades for home terrains. Also, reduce the cost to upgrade digging to 1w5c1p which is the same as Ice factions. Keep the SH 1x and variable income.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
OPTION 1

When the SH is built, they only pay 1 spade for any non-home terrain of all players. They do not pay a spade for their selected home terrain. You can possibly remove the 1x variable benefits and keep variable income or vice versa based on play test results.
So without SH the number of spades is according to the color wheel? And stays that way even with SH for home terrain of the other players?

Sounds like self-sandwiching will be attractive for them, at least if they plan to build the SH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DocCool wrote:
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
OPTION 1

So without SH the number of spades is according to the color wheel? And stays that way even with SH for home terrain of the other players?

Sounds like self-sandwiching will be attractive for them, at least if they plan to build the SH.

Possibly. Perhaps make it 2 spades for opponents home terrain when the SH is built. Both of my suggestions will have to be play tested of course.

I briefly saw a poll here... bokuteki, did you pull it down due to my new suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd like to see them as Variable Golems, perhaps with one of the suggestions I made that actually makes terrain variable in some way instead of just the start color.

I looked back at the other variable fan made factions (Mutants and Necromancers) and the official factions (SS and RW). All 4 have the ability to have different terrain unlocked for them as a base terrain. My suggestions don't quite do that, but it does make them cheaper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As it is now, I won't vote in the poll, as it would mean to load 8 player boards, find out their differences, then rank them.

Please amend your poll posting with an easy to check list of the differences, which I presume will consist of
* faction ability
* start power
* SH cost and ability
* SA cost (and non-standard feature, if any)
* deviations (if any) from the normal D/TP/TE prices and income
* deviations (if any) from the normal costs to advance terraforming and shipping
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The only real differences are either Brown or Variable and the picture of the faction and name.

FYI: The variable Golem have the wrong SH cost at 3w6c.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Updated:
Again I'm sorry. I completely forgot that another person has already posted his fan-made Golems. So pretend you) didn't see it on the poll.
https://boardgamegeek.com/image/2911492/atsuuuuuu
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/21966771

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sorry to post the poll again. I have corrected the cost of the Variable Golems SH but I mistakenly deleted the last poll.

JamesWolfpacker wrote:
The only real differences are either Brown or Variable and the picture of the faction and name.

FYI: The variable Golem have the wrong SH cost at 3w6c.

Yes, he is right.

bokuteki wrote:
Which one do you like best?

Brown:
Golems

Beggers

Villagers (A)

Villagers (B)

Variable:
Golems (the SH cost corrected)

Beggers

Villagers (A)

Villagers (B)

Poll
Which one do you like best?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Brown: Golems
0.0% 0
Brown: Beggers
16.7% 1
Brown: Villagers (A)
0.0% 0
Brown: Villagers (B)
0.0% 0
Variable: Golems
33.3% 2
Variable: Beggers
33.3% 2
Variable: Villagers (A)
0.0% 0
Variable: Villagers (B)
0.0% 0
The previous one (with 2 Earth Cult)
16.7% 1
I have a better idea!
0.0% 0
Voters 6
This poll is now closed.   6 answers
Poll created by bokuteki
Closes: Sun Jul 9, 2017 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks for your Votes. Because Golems was invalid, Beggers (Variable) won the poll.

JamesWolfpacker wrote:
I looked back at the other variable fan made factions (Mutants and Necromancers) and the official factions (SS and RW). All 4 have the ability to have different terrain unlocked for them as a base terrain.

But his opinion is right, so I will adopt Brown as the 2nd place. It's like side A and B of Wonder Boards in 7 wonders, the card draft game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bokuteki wrote:
Thanks for your Votes. Because Golems was invalid, Beggers (Variable) won the poll.

JamesWolfpacker wrote:
I looked back at the other variable fan made factions (Mutants and Necromancers) and the official factions (SS and RW). All 4 have the ability to have different terrain unlocked for them as a base terrain.

But his opinion is right, so I will adopt Brown as the 2nd place. It's like side A and B of Wonder Boards in 7 wonders, the card draft game.

Ummm, only 6 people voted and the poll is invalid. How about scraping the Variable idea and just voting on all Brown?

You could insert a new poll in the 1st post with only Brown factions and update the topic title so people even know that there is a poll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the new poll is similar to the previous (and now deleted??) one, you can save yourself the effort. To get votes, voters should have an easy time to understand the options. Voting should not require to click on pictures, then compare them. The choices should be self-explanatory from the text of the poll. Also, mixing choices for names, colors and abilities into one poll is a bad idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
5 of the 6 votes for Variable, so I decided that Variable was the 1st place. Actually, the 1 vote for Previous One was mine, but I don't stick to it. And I came up with the ideas of a new Variable, so this time I want to settle this Faction. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pavlo pavlo
msg tools
mb
What you think about SH ability which give you choice income between all that are available for your faction. It's more variable ability which have potential to differentiate and development

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.